GMC Acadia Forum banner

Issues & Problems Thread

37K views 86 replies 40 participants last post by  kram 
#1 ·
Acadia owners, if you have discovered any mechanical problems, quality issues or other nit picks, please share them with the group here. I'd like to have a single thread dedicated to this topic for easier searching and to more quickly discover if there are any trends appearing.

#2 ·
I'll get it started with two small issues I have noticed...

First, we have a forward facing child seat in one of the second row captains chairs and it turns out the headrest on those can't be removed or adjusted. They hit the back of the childseat several inches before the back of the seat does. The carseat doesn't fit "snugly" into the seat, it's kind of pushed forward more than it should be. It also causes the childseat to be just a little bit more upright than it was in our Altima. You can recline the capts chair, which helps some (and is what the manual suggests), but that only gets you about halfway there.

Secondly, for the life of me, we can't figure out how to make the "courtesy light" come on - you know, when you open the door the cabin lights should come on. Ours stopped. I don't know yet if there's some toggle button we can't find or if the light is burned out or what. We're going to call the dealer Monday about it if we haven't figured it out by then.
[update - SOLVED: The dome on/off toggle button is directly above the dashboard brightness knob left of the steering column - thanks Gills!]

admin

#3 ·
admin said:
I'll get it started with two small issues I have noticed...

First, we have a forward facing child seat in one of the second row captains chairs and it turns out the headrest on those can't be removed or adjusted. They hit the back of the childseat several inches before the back of the seat does. The carseat doesn't fit "snugly" into the seat, it's kind of pushed forward more than it should be. It also causes the childseat to be just a little bit more upright than it was in our Altima. You can recline the capts chair, which helps some (and is what the manual suggests), but that only gets you about halfway there.

Secondly, for the life of me, we can't figure out how to make the "courtesy light" come on - you know, when you open the door the cabin lights should come on. Ours stopped. I don't know yet if there's some toggle button we can't find or if the light is burned out or what. We're going to call the dealer Monday about it if we haven't figured it out by then.

admin
I agree, the first problem is exactly the same one I face. I have Britex car seat which has to stay upright and also not snugged into the car seat.

#5 ·
I have had an issue with the rear heat/ac. Nothing seems to be happening. I adjust from the front and the rear and can't feel any air coming out of the vents overhead. Anyone else having this problem? Rignt now it is only husband and I, so not much back traffic, but I want to get it checked out soon.

#6 ·
jrfan said:
I have had an issue with the rear heat/ac. Nothing seems to be happening. I adjust from the front and the rear and can't feel any air coming out of the vents overhead. Anyone else having this problem? Rignt now it is only husband and I, so not much back traffic, but I want to get it checked out soon.
From the front, you have to hit the AUX button in the upper right corner of the AC controls to sync it with the main climate controls. But from the rear you should be able to override it - very strange. Mine works fine...

#7 ·
Acadia bugs (I hope)

My Acadia is about two weeks old. I really like it but am concerned with a few thing:

1. The transmission (I assume it's drive trane related) seems to click when you first start moving. It's usually 1-3 clicks that you can hear and feel in the gas peddle. It's nothing major, just wandered if it was normal given these electronic transmissions. One you move 25 yards or so, it doesn't repeat, so I assume it's electronic as opposed to something mechanical.

2. The steering column hums as you turn the wheel at really low speeds, say into a parking spot. It's not real loud and doesn't do it when you are driving with any speed. I thought that it might just be the large tires on the thing (coming from a guy who last drove a small nissan sedan). Again, I thought it might be electronic related as I understand GM has some vehicles with electric power steering as opposed to running off the engine.

3. The map light on the driver's door doesn't go on or off unless you hit the button a few times. The dealer has ordered a part, so this is definitely something simple.

Any thoughts on 1 or 2 above or any issues you have found? As long as they are normal, I'm fine but if not, I want to get them checked out. The vehicle looks real cool and runs great. I've gotten a ton of compliments on it. Plus, I got a really good deal on it which makes it all the better.

#8 ·
Re: Acadia bugs (I hope)

Jasper said:
1. The transmission (I assume it's drive trane related) seems to click when you first start moving. It's usually 1-3 clicks that you can hear and feel in the gas peddle. It's nothing major, just wandered if it was normal given these electronic transmissions. One you move 25 yards or so, it doesn't repeat, so I assume it's electronic as opposed to something mechanical.
I've read that the Stabilitrak is supposed to run a test of some sort the first time you move after starting the car... but you seem to be having this all of the time? I've paid attention to my car and it doesnt do any of that. I would have that looked at.

Jasper said:
2. The steering column hums as you turn the wheel at really low speeds, say into a parking spot. It's not real loud and doesn't do it when you are driving with any speed. I thought that it might just be the large tires on the thing (coming from a guy who last drove a small nissan sedan). Again, I thought it might be electronic related as I understand GM has some vehicles with electric power steering as opposed to running off the engine.
This is normal for a lot of cars. The power steering pump whines when it is too difficult to move the wheel. If the car is not moving it has a hard time rotating the wheel and you’ll hear that sound. My Acadia does it, though it’s much quieter than other cars I have driven.

#9 ·
Thanks AcadiaSigma

The clicks that I hear from what I believe is the transmission only does it when you first start the vehicle and drive say +-25 years or so. It doesn't do it once you've been "driving" so perhaps it's the system check you've been mentioning.

I'm glad to hear that the steering column noise is normal. I've had two nissans previously and they were obviously much smaller, lighter-weight vehicles. I don't mind a bit of humming but wanted to make sure I wasn't burning a bearing or something.

I appreciate the reply.

#11 ·
The only problem I've noticed is that people start to pass you on the road and then back off and stay beside the car moving a little ahead and then a little behind--I assume they are "just looking".

Also noticed people stopping when the car is parked and stop and look at it. One lady today walked into a car while she was looking at the Acadia!

I guess that will stop when more of them get on the road!!

#12 ·
I drove to Las Vegas last Weekend (NBA Week) and that's the first time I've notice that there is a strange sound (wind Drag) coming from my Driver's side view mirror. it's very anoying especially you want to listen to your music. just on the left side mirror nothing on the right side. Anybody who experience this too? Thanks

#14 ·
gotham, we washed ours tonight after dinner and I noticed the same thing. I'm sure water got in there on something hot in the engine and because it's so cold out, the smoke was more pronouced. I've seen similar effects on previous cars. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it keeps up for days

#15 ·
gotham said:
I had a car wash for my Acadia this weekend. There was a kind of smoke coming out from my front grill.
I did see it even the next day? Is it something common? Anyone had the same experience?
Was it cold? I had the same thing, but the temp was about 22 degrees and I assumed it was the water hitting the hot engine with a cold air temp.

#16 ·
I haven't noticed the wind drag or the grill steam problem. I'm not sure what you can do with the wind drag issue. In the insulation molding around the door ok? Any folds in it or deformations? If so, you can ask the dealer to re-seal the door. Try driving the vehicle with the mirror folded in and see if it still does it. It may not solve the problem as you definitely need the mirror, but you may be able to narrow down the problem.

As for the grill, I'd double check the radiator hoses just to make sure there isn't a leak. Perhaps snow or ice got in there and melted. If it keeps doing it, I'd take it in for a service check.

#17 ·
admin said:
gotham, we washed ours tonight after dinner and I noticed the same thing. I'm sure water got in there on something hot in the engine and because it's so cold out, the smoke was more pronouced. I've seen similar effects on previous cars. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it keeps up for days
Yes, it was too cold, around 19 degrees, maybe thats why its so pronounced. I opened the hood and saw its coming from between the grill and the radiator, maybe its from the radiator, maybe few drops got over it.

#18 ·
I've noticed just one problem--the Navigation system is off by about 2 blocks. For example, you are at 110 Anywhere Street and it says you are at 144 Anywhere street. Checked several places and it appears that it says you are about 2 blocks from where you really are.

I've had Navigation systems in previous 2003 Acura MDX and current 2003 BMW M5 and both were right on.
Book says if out of synch answer is to see Dealer--will have them check it and let Forum know results.

#19 ·
I used turn by turn OnStar directions tonight just to test it out and the on-board GPS was pretty much dead on. No more than 10 feet off the address I was going to. And the little count-down meter got to one notch right at the light of every turn. Maybe it just needs to be calibrated or something...

#20 ·
I am currently experiencing a problem with the heated seats. They worked fine when we picked up the vehicle, but within a couple weeks (when we needed them), they wouldn't work. No lights on the buttons. I checked the fuse which was fine, but had no power. The dealer called it in and they have to replace the control module for the seats.

They also said that GMC didn't have any spares for the module yet and they would either have to order one or take one off an assembly line unit to get it replaced.

My NAV system is spot-on. I would say that it's accurate to within about 15 feet.

#21 ·
Evrything has been good so far, except for my remote start. It works great in my garage at home, but I have not been able to start the vehicle outside. Very puzzling, I am hoping it is just a "reception" issue with the transmitters. Anyone else have an issue similar?

#22 ·
The only time that I've had trouble is if I'm standing real close. I've found that I have be more than 100 feet away outside and it works well yet if I'm right next to it, it may not work.

Make sure you are hitting the lock botton, then press and hold the start button for a full 4 seconds. If that doesn't work, I'd take it to the dealer. It's so convenient, you definitely want it to work. Best of luck.

#24 ·
admin said:
First, we have a forward facing child seat in one of the second row captains chairs and it turns out the headrest on those can't be removed or adjusted. They hit the back of the child seat several inches before the back of the seat does. The car seat doesn't fit "snugly" into the seat, it's kind of pushed forward more than it should be. It also causes the child seat to be just a little bit more upright than it was in our Altima. You can recline the capts chair, which helps some (and is what the manual suggests), but that only gets you about halfway there.
I think this is a pretty serious issue with the car and one I had not thought to check. Its almost enough of an issue to prevent me from buying the car. You see we also have a Britax (currently rear facing) for our 11 month old, and a booster for our 3 year old. If these seats do not fix properly in the car then we can not have it.

Can you post photos on what yours looks like?

#25 ·
kjnorman said:
admin said:
First, we have a forward facing child seat in one of the second row captains chairs and it turns out the headrest on those can't be removed or adjusted. They hit the back of the child seat several inches before the back of the seat does. The car seat doesn't fit "snugly" into the seat, it's kind of pushed forward more than it should be. It also causes the child seat to be just a little bit more upright than it was in our Altima. You can recline the capts chair, which helps some (and is what the manual suggests), but that only gets you about halfway there.
I think this is a pretty serious issue with the car and one I had not thought to check. Its almost enough of an issue to prevent me from buying the car. You see we also have a Britax (currently rear facing) for our 11 month old, and a booster for our 3 year old. If these seats do not fix properly in the car then we can not have it.

Can you post photos on what yours looks like?
I have a Britax forward facing in a second row bench and it works great!

#26 ·
We don't have kids yet, but we specifically ordered the bench seat instead of the captains chairs because of concerns putting in the child seats with the captains chairs.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.