GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in March, my son slid through a stop sign and into a ditch. It messed the front right bumper up but honestly didn't look too bad. We took it to a body shop for an estimate and found that it damaged the radiator and the air conditioning condenser and both were replaced. After the repair we have been having the same issue about every 2 or three days. We will be driving and an Action Required alert pops up that says "Steering Assist is Reduced Drive with Care," the engine temperature gauge drops to zero, the air conditioner stops blowing cold air, and one of the fans in the engine compartment, I am assuming the one associated with the air conditioner, run extremely load - we have never heard it sound like that before. This will last anywhere from one to four days and then start working properly again. Long story short, the body shop is washing their hands of it and my insurance company is telling me that it is a maintenance issue and not caused by the accident. So my question is, does anyone know how the Steering Assist, engine temp gauge, and the air conditioner are connected? They all must tie together somehow and was damaged during the accident or during the repair? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Some vehicle info would help. We're the parts new or used? We're any sensors or wires damaged?

You will have to prove the issue was caused by the accident but your insurance company should be on your side and help with the repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2017 Acadia Denali. They replaced the radiator initially with an after market but have since put in a new GM radiator. The condenser was replaced with an new aftermarket part. The only sensors they replaced that I am aware of are the vehicle sensors that are in the bumper. Insurance company had not been any help on this up to this point because I did not use one of their preferred repair shops.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Take it back where the repairs were done. It seems they did not check out all the potential repairs needed or botched some that they did.
Or take to the "preferred" repair center ans see what they can find?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Since major work was done under the hood, I would suspect that a connector wasn't securely put back, a wire is pinched or is chafing somewhere, and last but not least, possibly a ground connection wasn't put back correctly. Everything they did should be checked and rechecked. In My opinion, one place to start would be the engine compartment fuse block.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you ever resolve this issue? I have the exact same vehicle and I'm experiencing the same issues. I just bought this GMC used in January and started experiencing the same issues as you are describing. Every issue, Steering Assist is Reduced Drive with Care alert, AC not working, temp gauge not working, and fan running at very high rpm and loud. I also get a check engine light. This happened to me about 3 weeks ago for the 1st time and then after a few days, everything went back to normal, the check engine light even went away. Today it happened again. I don't think my vehicle was ever in an accident and it drove fine for the 1st 5 months I owned the vehicle.
The only thing I might be able to add is my kids started adjusting the cooling controls for the 2nd row seats and the issues started the 1st time. Then I think they messed with them again today? Maybe this is shorting something out?

·
Registered
271 Posts
There was a post on Traverse Forum recently, the member stated that his Coolant Temperature sensor was bad which is why the A/C didn't work, 3 blinks and no A/C. That maybe a problem in itself.
Another cause may be a loose connection, possibly a ground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My a/c doesn't blink, the light turns on to say it is on, like it thinks its working, but it doesn't blow cold air, just normal fan air. I believe a sensor might be going bad, but why is it fixing itself? Where should I look for a loose ground?

·
Registered
271 Posts
What year is yours? It seems that at least on the 2017s the steering assist message will come up from a faulty Engine Cooling signal. >>>> Diagnosing Communication U Codes before Replacing Parts – TechLink

This is the post from the T forum. He said it's a $20 part if you wish to try that before getting into anything heavy. Not that I suggest throwing parts at a problem, but three suggestions that it is a faulty coolant reading is too much of a coincidence.
gchingo55
Registered

Joined Jul 29, 2018
2 Posts
#4 3 d ago
Before you invest too much time, money and research keep an eye on engine temp while driving. We had same issue with our 2014 LT and AC light would flash 3 times and then turn off. I also noticed our engine temp would flatline and would not give proper reading after driving for several minutes. I had to replace the ECT sensor which is a $20 part from Autozone. Once I replaced that all started working fine. Unfortunately the sensors seem to only last 5 years or so and the AC system continues to be one of the main issues with most Traverse models. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve got the same 2017 Denali and just went through having my AC Evaporator Core and Engine Cooling fan assembly replaced. Supposedly the cooling fan next to the condenser wasn’t working which caused a hole to eventually appear in the rear evaporator core which is how I lost my Freon and resulted in warm air being blown through the vents.

While you might not have the same issue, might be something to check. They had asked me if I had been in an accident and since I owned the car I have not been in one however I am the 2nd owner and even though the car fax was clean who knows.

as far as cost at the dealership, mine was just out of the bumper to bumper warranty at 37,700 miles. They were able at the dealership to get me GM assistance to cover the labor so my parts cost for the evaporator core and cooling fan assembly was $1,100. With labor that probably would've easily been a $2,400 repair. I am happy to report though it’s been working great since the repair was done last weeI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Back in March, my son slid through a stop sign and into a ditch. It messed the front right bumper up but honestly didn't look too bad. We took it to a body shop for an estimate and found that it damaged the radiator and the air conditioning condenser and both were replaced. After the repair we have been having the same issue about every 2 or three days. We will be driving and an Action Required alert pops up that says "Steering Assist is Reduced Drive with Care," the engine temperature gauge drops to zero, the air conditioner stops blowing cold air, and one of the fans in the engine compartment, I am assuming the one associated with the air conditioner, run extremely load - we have never heard it sound like that before. This will last anywhere from one to four days and then start working properly again. Long story short, the body shop is washing their hands of it and my insurance company is telling me that it is a maintenance issue and not caused by the accident. So my question is, does anyone know how the Steering Assist, engine temp gauge, and the air conditioner are connected? They all must tie together somehow and was damaged during the accident or during the repair? Any help would be much appreciated.
I am having the SAME EXACT PROBLEM!
I did have an accident which damaged the right corner of the car similar to yours, and I did replace the battery in August 2019 which caused the car to no longer start consistently.
The starting issue was traced to improper installation by the mechanic, which was the only time I did not take the car to the dealer for service. The accident happened two months after I replaced the battery and everything was resolved around February 2020 which is when the bodywork was done. However it took them weeks to discover the improper battery installation.

But now I I have exactly YOUR symptoms. Also, previously I had no coolant in my system, so it was assumed that it was loose fittings. After reading about the 2017 Acadia Denali I’m not so sure.

It’s nice to know I’m not going crazy, bu

BTW has your situation been resolved?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is hard after an accident to be strong again morally and sometimes physically too. You need to have a good insurance policy that will help you at least financially make it through. I read a lot about MetLife on https://joywallet.com/review-metlife/. MetLife is one of the most recognizable brands in the world. An auto insurance provider should offer you affordable rates, excellent coverage, and an agent that will work with you no matter what your needs are. You should be careful while choosing insurance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts