GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 SLE FWD V6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 FWD SLE with the 6cyl, 14k miles and was wondering if this sound is normal. It mainly appears when I'm going up a hill or accelerating at higher RPMs. I've always heard it and just thought it was normal but it's been quite annoying lately.

Any help is appreciated! If you need more clips I'm willing to upload.

Link to video/audio

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Sounds like something in the exhaust system has either separated, broken, or had a hole punched in it. If you bought the vehicle used, maybe the exhaust was modified by the previous owner. Have the system checked for either leaks or mods. If it's not a factory setup, changing it back to original is up to you. Leaks should be repaired for safety reasons. Anything broken internally, like muffler baffles, will likely be covered by the B2B factory warranty

·
Registered
2021 SLE FWD V6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like something in the exhaust system has either separated, broken, or had a hole punched in it. If you bought the vehicle used, maybe the exhaust was modified by the previous owner. Have the system checked for either leaks or mods. If it's not a factory setup, changing it back to original is up to you. Leaks should be repaired for safety reasons. Anything broken internally, like muffler baffles, will likely be covered by the B2B factory warranty
Thank you! I bought it new from the dealership last May. I'll take it in to the service department and see what they say. I'll update the post with what I find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2021 FWD SLE with the 6cyl, 14k miles and was wondering if this sound is normal. It mainly appears when I'm going up a hill or accelerating at higher RPMs. I've always heard it and just thought it was normal but it's been quite annoying lately.

Any help is appreciated! If you need more clips I'm willing to upload.

Link to video/audio
I have a 2021 GMC Acadia SLT V-6 and it makes a similar noise on acceleration. Had the dealer look at it for a loose heat shield. Said they checked it and all heat shields are tight. Left dealership and noise was gone. No explanation for what they did.

·
Registered
2021 SLE FWD V6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update, I dropped the vehicle off yesterday at my local GMC dealer. The service tech said it sounded like the heat shield issue BobGMCguy has shared. After inspection the heat shields are not the issue. They said it was coming from the rear brakes. He said the pads are producing more dust than it should which is causing that sound. He said the rear brakes are on back order and the vehicle is safe to drive. He said there's nothing wrong with the brake system, it's just the pads that are just dusting more than normal.

So until then, I'll just have to wait until they replace it and see if the noise truly was caused by the brakes.

·
Registered
2021 SLE FWD V6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
So while I wait for the dealership to gather what they need to replace the rear brake system I decided to just double check underneath the car. I found that one of the heat shields around the muffler really close to the undercarriage. With a little massaging and maneuvering it away from what looks like the compartment for the spare tire and driving it around where I would hear the rattle it seems to be fixed.
Automotive tire Tread Wheel Grey Automotive design

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 GMC Acadia SLT V-6 and it makes a similar noise on acceleration. Had the dealer look at it for a loose heat shield. Said they checked it and all heat shields are tight. Left dealership and noise was gone. No explanation for what they did.
Mine does the same thing. Let me know if it’s normal or if I should worry. Bought it used but have an extended warranty.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quick update, I dropped the vehicle off yesterday at my local GMC dealer. They said it was coming from the rear brakes. He said the pads are producing more dust than it should which is causing that sound.
If a mechanic told me that sound was caused by brake dust, I would find a new mechanic.

Tom

Reactions: 8Mile

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
In the end it was an exhaust leak. It was from the downpipe right after the catalytic converter. They had to replace the full exhaust system.

The diagnosis from brake pads/dust to a down pipe ( flex pipe ? ) is quite different.

Listening to the original sound, it did sound like something loose or broken in the exhaust system.

Good of them to replace the whole exhaust system. Much of it is all one piece from the factory install these days. But good to replace it all to error on the side of caution and cover all the bases.

·
Registered
2021 SLE FWD V6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The diagnosis from brake pads/dust to a down pipe ( flex pipe ? ) is quite different.

Listening to the original sound, it did sound like something loose or broken in the exhaust system.

Good of them to replace the whole exhaust system. Much of it is all one piece from the factory install these days. But good to replace it all to error on the side of caution and cover all the bases.
I agree, that’s why I kept on bugging them about it. I called multiple times, returned back to the service department few extra times. For them to come back and say the exhaust was the issues show they didn’t really inspect from front to the rear.

They did replace the rear brakes as well as that was a different issue according to them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wife has a 2021 Acadia SLT AWD and started hearing a similar noise, although more intermittent than in the original poster's video. Took vehicle to GMC dealership who could not recreate the problem / hear the noise. Had to ride with a service tech to point out the noise. Tech said it might be a loose heatshield that is rattling. After the test drive, they took the vehicle back for inspection. They then returned and said the noise was due to the catalytic converter. A new one is on order (under warranty, thank goodness). Strange for a cat to have problems on a car this new. Just sharing in case this info might help some others with a similar noise / issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2021 FWD SLE with the 6cyl, 14k miles and was wondering if this sound is normal. It mainly appears when I'm going up a hill or accelerating at higher RPMs. I've always heard it and just thought it was normal but it's been quite annoying lately. Any help is appreciated! If you need more clips I'm willing to upload. Link to video/audio
Wife has a 2021 Acadia SLT AWD and started hearing a similar noise, although more intermittent than in the original poster's video. Took vehicle to GMC dealership who could not recreate the problem / hear the noise. Had to ride with a service tech to point out the noise. Tech said it might be a loose heatshield that is rattling. After the test drive, they took the vehicle back for inspection. They then returned and said the noise was due to the catalytic converter. A new one is on order (under warranty, thank goodness). Strange for a cat to have problems on a car this new. Just sharing in case this info might help some others with a similar noise / issue.
I'm hearing the same sound from 2021 Acadia SLE AWD, I have to take it back to the dealership Wednesday. file:///C:/Users/10063049/Contacts/Desktop/2021%20Acadia%20noisw.MOV

1 - 13 of 13 Posts