GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

this might be a stupid question but is there aftermarket air bags made for the rear end of the Acadia yet?? I figure it would
help when trying to tow a trailer or boat around?? Hopefully someone knows.

Travis

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Interior air bags for passengers or something for the outside?

·
Registered
428 Posts
jsimms said:
Interior air bags for passengers or something for the outside?
He is referring to suspension air bags for the rear suspension of the vehicle. They are like overload springs and help keep the rear end from squatting under a load. I have not seen a kit for installing air bags on the back of the Acadia. Since the Acadia's towing weight is so low I would not figure any companies out there would be making a kit for it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
We sold our pop-up shortly after I bought the Acadia, but I towed it once and there was no squat at all to the rear of the Acadia. Our camper weighed 2500 lbs. For a heavier load, doesn't a "weight distributing hitch" keep from weighing down the rear of the vehicle to heavily?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
dfrank78 said:
He is referring to suspension air bags for the rear suspension of the vehicle. They are like overload springs and help keep the rear end from squatting under a load. I have not seen a kit for installing air bags on the back of the Acadia. Since the Acadia's towing weight is so low I would not figure any companies out there would be making a kit for it.
Your idea makes a lot more sense than mine :thumb:

·
Registered
428 Posts
ccaats said:
We sold our pop-up shortly after I bought the Acadia, but I towed it once and there was no squat at all to the rear of the Acadia. Our camper weighed 2500 lbs. For a heavier load, doesn't a "weight distributing hitch" keep from weighing down the rear of the vehicle to heavily?
Yes a weight distributing hitch helps distribute the weight across the entire vehicle instead of just on the rear end. The air bags just help with the squat and keep the vehicle from having a bouncing rear end when hitting a bump. Im sure youve seen a truck with a load going down the road and the rear end hits a bump and it looks like a pogo stick bouncing up an down until it settles. The air bags just stop that, thats why most eighteen wheelers have air bag suspension, they adjust for the amount of weight the truck is carrying.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you don't use the "lift bars" with the weight distributing hitch, the rear will drop according to the amount of weight on the tongue. The hitch by itself doesn't really do any thing except the load is spread over the rear frame area.
I wish the Acadia had the system that my 02 Olds Bravada had in the rear. It had the automatic load leveling air system in it, plus an air pump in the rear if needed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have you tried contacting firestone or other manufacturer's of the air bags. They may have something universal that fits.
My Brother put some on his truck and it was a universal part # for a couple different trucks.

In all honesty when I hooked my Travel trailer up to my Acadia (only to get it out of the stall), it didn't budge. I'd try towing with it first then if it bothers you, look for a solution.

·
Registered
659 Posts
spanke said:
Hey Everyone,

this might be a stupid question but is there aftermarket air bags made for the rear end of the Acadia yet?? I figure it would
help when trying to tow a trailer or boat around?? Hopefully someone knows.

Travis
Air-Lift has them for the Acadia. You can find them on their site by drilling down on GMC Acadia. The part number is 60816. Although I've not used them on my Acadia, I've had very good experience with their products on other vehicles. I did considerable towing with a '94 Impala SS, pulling a track car up and down the west coast and they worked great as coil inserts keeping the car beautifully at the level that I wanted when towing loads that were close to capacity (which interestingly was actually rated higher than my Acadia). Unlike most mechanical helper springs, they can be quickly and completely deflated and have no effect at all when not needed.

http://www.airliftcompany.com/online_catalog.html

·
Registered
624 Posts
JLF said:
If you don't use the "lift bars" with the weight distributing hitch, the rear will drop according to the amount of weight on the tongue. The hitch by itself doesn't really do any thing except the load is spread over the rear frame area.
I wish the Acadia had the system that my 02 Olds Bravada had in the rear. It had the automatic load leveling air system in it, plus an air pump in the rear if needed.
Yeah, our Pontiac Montana had that and it really was a nice feature. Not sure why these advanced crossovers didn't come with an option that the GM minivans had 10 years ago.

·
Registered
69 Posts
GerryL said:
Air-Lift has them for the Acadia. You can find them on their site by drilling down on GMC Acadia. The part number is 60816. Although I've not used them on my Acadia, I've had very good experience with their products on other vehicles. I did considerable towing with a '94 Impala SS, pulling a track car up and down the west coast and they worked great as coil inserts keeping the car beautifully at the level that I wanted when towing loads that were close to capacity (which interestingly was actually rated higher than my Acadia). Unlike most mechanical helper springs, they can be quickly and completely deflated and have no effect at all when not needed.

http://www.airliftcompany.com/online_catalog.html
Hi, all! Just had Airlift air bags installed on my Acadia yesterday. Total cost was $217.00, parts and labor at Camping World.
Will be trying them out next weekend, when we take our new TT to Mohegan Sun in Connecticut. This will be our first real road trip with the camper, and I will be posting results when I get back.
For those that are interested, our camper is a 2010 Jayco Jay Flight 22B model, overall length 26'5", and as it is currently loaded, it tips the scales at 4,973 lbs.
I do have a weight distribution hitch, and in some early test towing, including one trip to a local campground, so far so good!
Being that the Acadia has independent rear suspension, and from previous towing with such a suspension, I felt that the air bags would be a good idea, for better handling, and to reduce of the "jounce" you get with that type of setup. Just driving it around yesterday, after they were installed, I felt a "firmness" that should translate into better handling. As I said, I'll let you know next week!
Keep it under 90, folks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts