GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
From what I see the answer is yes. You can buy the hitch and the car is pre drilled for the bolts. The only thing that is even remotely tricky to the install is that you need to lower the exhaust a bit and from what I see that is done by simply slipping it off the rubber mounts. If you are not going to wire anything, it seems easy.

Although my dealer did give me a quote for the Class III/IV hitch installed with wiring for $225, so I am not sure I would even do it myself, but for sure you don't need the towing package for a bike rack.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Most dealers won't sell them to you. I just got one from Uhaul for 140.00 and will install my self for the same thing.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My dealer was actually quoting a price from a local shop that they use to put aftermarket hitches on. But for sure you can mount a receiver without the wiring if you only need a bike rack.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm looking at doing this for the same reason. Would you recommend a 1.25" receiver or the 2"? Does the 2" offer more flexibility for other items like trailers?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I would go with 2" as it definitely gives you more flexibility. It offers a little more torsional rigidity to keep things from swaying and many of the larger bike racks, like the 5 bike models and the ones that have the heavier duty folding mechanisms come only in 2 ". There are other things you may consider later also, for example, I have a hitch mounted load platform (truck width by about 2 feet) that comes only in 2" as well. You just have more options down the road as well as the ability to tow more securely if you decide to do so later.

·
Registered
635 Posts
In addition, some of these other carriers that only come in the smaller hitch allow you to buy an adapter to fit the 2". Best way to go IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts