GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the rear glass on the lift gate weak of soft? I noticed today that there are scratches all over the glass on the lift gate. I'm not talking about light scratches I can't feel, I'm talking about deep scratches I can feel. They can't be caused by the wiper because the scratches are also out of the path of the wiper. I never use those Squeegees at gas stations. I learned my lesson when a squeegee scratched the heck out of my windshield of my old S-10. When I wash the Acadia or have it washed I rinse all the lose dirt off. Then this past summer while towing a trailer a stone must have bounced off the trailer hit the rear glass and put a nice chip right in the middle of the glass. Does anyone else have this going on with your rear windows?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
The rear glass seems good to me; here are some pics after my rear end collision; glass stayed intact. The same glass was transplanted into my new tailgate during repairs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I haven't noticed any scratching on ours- seems like an unusual situation. I'd think all the glass is of the same hardness. Isn't there a product that allows you to buff the glass for minor (i.e. not really deep) scratches? I heard a radio ad yesterday for a glass shop saying they could fix any chip "smaller than a dollar bill", so yours should be repairable. Most of the time glass breakage/damage is covered under comprehensive auto insurance with 0 deductible.

·
Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
Mich,

Has anyone been testing diamonds or other hard stones on your back glass?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
MichAcadia said:
Is the rear glass on the lift gate weak of soft? I noticed today that there are scratches all over the glass on the lift gate. I'm not talking about light scratches I can't feel, I'm talking about deep scratches I can feel. They can't be caused by the wiper because the scratches are also out of the path of the wiper. I never use those Squeegees at gas stations. I learned my lesson when a squeegee scratched the heck out of my windshield of my old S-10. When I wash the Acadia or have it washed I rinse all the lose dirt off. Then this past summer while towing a trailer a stone must have bounced off the trailer hit the rear glass and put a nice chip right in the middle of the glass. Does anyone else have this going on with your rear windows?
Made any enemies lately?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These scratches are not deliberate in anyway as far as I know. Many of them run to the edge of the glass, but yet there is no harm done to the paint near the window. There are about twenty scratches in total they about four inches long and run horizontal and vertical. I will try to take pictures of them tomorrow to show them to you.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
MichAcadia said:
These scratches are not deliberate in anyway as far as I know. Many of them run to the edge of the glass, but yet there is no harm done to the paint near the window. There are about twenty scratches in total they about four inches long and run horizontal and vertical. I will try to take pictures of them tomorrow to show them to you.
I think that may help

·
Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
Yep! Pictures would be good. According to Moh's Hardnes Scale, not a lot of what we might normally encounter on roadways or parking lots would be harder than glass. Other glass and silica sand would be roughly equal in hardness to auto glass.

This comes from Wikipedia:

Mohs based the scale on ten minerals that are all readily available. As the hardest known naturally occurring substance when the scale was designed, diamonds are at top of the scale. The hardness of a material is measured against the scale by finding the hardest material that the given material can scratch, and/or the softest material that can scratch the given material. For example, if some material is scratched by apatite but not by fluorite, its hardness on the Mohs scale would fall between 4 and 5. [5]

The Mohs scale is a purely ordinal scale. For example, corundum (9) is twice as hard as topaz (8), but diamond (10) is almost four times as hard as corundum. The table below shows comparison with absolute hardness measured by a sclerometer, with pictorial examples.[6][7]

However given that new minerals found from asteroids or formed during volcanic eruptions are proven to be harder than the highest mineral on the scale, diamonds, it may be contentious in the future that the Mohs scale as it is won't be changed. [8]

Mohs hardness Mineral Absolute Hardness
1 Talc (Mg3Si4O10(OH)2) 1
2 Gypsum (CaSO4·2H2O) 3
3 Calcite (CaCO3) 9
4 Fluorite (CaF2) 21
5 Apatite (Ca5(PO4)3(OH-,Cl-,F-) 48
6 Feldspar (KAlSi3O8) 72
7 Quartz (SiO2) 100 (this is glass)
8 Topaz (Al2SiO4(OH-,F-)2) 200
9 Corundum (Al2O3) 400
10 Diamond (C) 1600

On the Mohs scale, a pencil "lead" (graphite) has a hardness of 1; a fingernail, 2.5; a copper penny, about 3.5; a knife blade, 5.5; window glass, 5.5; and a steel file, 6.5.[9] Using these ordinary materials of known hardness can be a simple way to approximate the position of a mineral on the scale.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well here are the pictures. It was not easy focusing on the surface of the glass at night using the shop light in the garage. You can see the the scratches I'm talking about. I did think of something I live in the mid-west so the snow scraper was used to remove snow and ice this past winter. I can't see the plastic of the ice scraper causing those scratches in less there were diamonds in crusted in the ice. ???

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Well that was no accident of nature etc; hard to say but those scratches were put there instead of them happening by accident.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jsimms said:
Well that was no accident of nature etc; hard to say but those scratches were put there instead of them happening by accident.
I still say it was not done intentionally by someone, in the middle picture you can see a rounded scratch like some grit was caught up in the wiper blade. I can't see someone neatly putting a series of scratches all over the window. My guess is that while using the ice scraper this past winter was the cause of the scratches. I felt the blade is the ice scraper and it is smooth and free of defects. I assume some grit trapped on the window caused the scratched when scraping the ice off. What gets me is the other windows look fine and free of scratches. I have 12,500 miles so far and owned it less than a year at this rate I hate to see what the window will look like in say three years!

·
Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
Just looking at the scratches and linear nature of them along with the strange direction of orientation, I'd almost think they were scratched during assembly or shipping and it took you a while to notice them.

What do you think guys, warranty or not?

·
Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
p.s. They could be pretty easily removed with some jeweler's rouge - a stone polishing compound.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
speleos said:
Just looking at the scratches and linear nature of them along with the strange direction of orientation, I'd almost think they were scratched during assembly or shipping and it took you a while to notice them.

What do you think guys, warranty or not?
I wonder if these scratches were lite and I didn't notice them when I first bought the car. Then the salt they use on the roads opened them up along with the freeze and thaw cycle. The why they look it would be hard to prove this is a warranty issue.

BTW thanks for the Wikipedia research Speleos. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
My pleasure, MichA. I don't think it would hurt to ask the dealer about warranty on something like that. If you're a good pitchman, you might be able to convince them it is a factory blemish. There are ways to hide those things with some type of coating and eventually time alone would wear that coating off. Kinda like 'Glass Wax' was back in the day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Speleos, I might ask the dealer about it next time I take it in for an oil change. I did a little research on the net and some auto detail companies advertise they can buff out scratches on window. It would cost anywhere from $75 up to $300 depending on the size of the window and the amount of the scratches. Depending on how much a new window would cost I don't know if it would be worth it fixing it. Moreover; Buffing the glass will cause the window to become uneven. With a wavy surface I don't think the window wiper would work very well. I could just take the road less traveled and fire a rock thur the window and let the insurance company take care of it. >:D Knowing my luck I would miss and dent the tail gate HAHA! If I get rejected by the dealer I will have to bite the bullet and replace the window. ???

·
Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
I don't know if a few microns of glass would make that much difference. The scratches do make some weak points that a well-placed elbow could test! But you know what - that makes a mess inside the cargo space!

·
Registered
66 Posts
After reading this thread and winter finally being over here, I thought I'd take a peek at my rear windshield. Well, I am sad to say that mine has some scratches on it too. Not as many as the OP's though. My DH figures they were caused from sand/dirt and not the scraper itself. I was also very sad to see that my paint is all scratched around the bottom of my rear windshield as well. I am quite sure my DH and the guys at the gas station did that. My DH figures it is only in the clear coat and should polish out but I have my doubts. It was just the other day my DH hit a shopping cart while backing out of a parking spot at Walmart and scratched the right front fender which he also says will buff right out. :'(

I also have a stone chip in the "chrome" trim around my grill. It even gouged the plastic underneath. Did I mention I've had my Acadia for less than 6 months??!! :sosad:

·
Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
I might seem a bit dense, but jh46 what the heck is is a DH?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
*jump in* I think that's dear husband

1 - 20 of 27 Posts