GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
I also have a 2019 Denali with the tech package. I love this suv. Rides great, plenty of power. I use to own a GMC Denali Terrain 2013. I put 137,000 miles on it. The only thing I replace twice was new batteries. . The new Denali Terrain only came with a turbo 4 cylinder. Not interested in 4 cylinder vehicles. Stepped up to the Denali Acadia, so glad I did. Will by another one when it’s time to trade the 2019 in.
WE had a similar experience. Our previous vehicle was a 2015 Equinox LTZ with the 3.6L LFX V6 engine. We liked it well enough, but an excellent deal came along last June on Acadia so we moved up.
Also, I was not interested in the down sized Equinox/Terrain with turbo 4 cylinder engines.
We are very happy with the smooth, quiet ride and excellent MPG of our 2019 Acacia.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I own a Honda CRV and looking to buy a midsize suv. Have been looking at Acadia along with others. I want to know if Acadia is gooe choice. Lookwise its awesome but I am reading lot of reviews that GM vehicles are worst. GMC is ranked the most terrible amongst GM vehicles with Chevy being highest. I have read so much about terrible materials of GM vehicles too. So should I buy the Acadia or look at better options like Mazda, Toyota etc.
Bought a 2019 Acadia Denali in May of 2019. So far, its been a great family car. No issues at all and maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations, etc) is very easy. I'd recommend one for sure.

·
Super Moderator
19,529 Posts
Bought a 2019 Acadia Denali in May of 2019. So far, its been a great family car. No issues at all and maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations, etc) is very easy. I'd recommend one for sure.
(y) Thank you for your input and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I did the first oil change on our 2019 Acadia and agree. Very easy to do. The filter and oil pan drain bolt are easily accessed and within arms reach.
Acadia Oil Change B.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Acadia SLT1 AWD
11 Posts
Hoping to continue the conversation and get more input. Like the OP, I currently own a (2011) CRV- purchased it (a year old) over an Equinox and a rav4 due to the right time and the right car for sale (also heard those equinox cars had issues around 2012). CRV has been excellent 165k- but time to move to a bigger and newer car.

Seriously considering a 2019 Acadia. Believe it or not I considered the 3 row Hyundai Santa Fe 2019, (has an AMAZING warranty and great reliability in recent years). Took it for a drive though and liked it- but didn't love it. That brings me to the Highlander- which is a little pricey for me to buy new and the Acadia (about $5k-$7k less). There are others I could consider (open to ideas), but these are the main ones- looking for a small 3 row vehicle. Also, I have not had a chance to test drive the highlander or the Acadia due to the state of the world right now.

My ONLY concern with the GM Acadia are the reliability reports. Consumer reports is what I use- in addition to word of mouth. CR gave it really bad ratings from 2010-2015. It got a little better for 16 and 17- 18 being neutral and 2019 getting good reviews. Other reviews generally list GM Acadia lower in reliablility (though the Honda Pilot seems to be a bit lower than expected as well).

I know anyone can have a bad experience with a car, but looking for more input on people having a good experience with the Acadia and reliability overall. I am hoping the redesign away from 2016 and older models fixed many issues- but would love to hear good things from people who own them. I have driven my CRV for 8 years and I drove a Saturn for 8 years before that (also a very reliable car). I take care my stuff, just want to know I am buying decent quality and not setting myself up for disappointment.

Finally my options might be a 2018 Highlander xle with about 30k miles or a 2019 Acadia SLT1 (new), they would be within about $2k of each other in pricing. Highlander model does not have apple car play- big drawback.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
19,529 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Good luck with your decision. My only advice is - buy new if you can.

·
Registered
2019 Acadia SLT1 AWD
11 Posts
Thank you for the welcome. Might sound weird, but will only buy an Acadia if I can get a new one.

That being said, willing to buy a used highlander. Was your advice on buying new geared towards one specific vehicle or just in general?

I've never purchased new before, so that would also be another nice thing with the Acadia- so long as I am getting reliability.

·
Super Moderator
19,529 Posts
In general, actually. It's all a matter of the vehicle's history, some of which can be hidden in a used car purchase. 'Hidden history' happens if the previous owner is someone who likes to DIY any work on their vehicle regardless of its nature.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Thank you for the welcome. Might sound weird, but will only buy an Acadia if I can get a new one.

That being said, willing to buy a used highlander. Was your advice on buying new geared towards one specific vehicle or just in general?

I've never purchased new before, so that would also be another nice thing with the Acadia- so long as I am getting reliability.
Have you considered the Kia Telluride? Gets great reviews, great warranty and not a bad price compared to the Acadia and Highlander. You might also look at the Subaru Ascent.

I like my '18 Acadia. In 24k miles the only issues have been some paint flaking on one wheel and the "shift to park" issue. It's a very comfortable vehicle and gets decent MPG on road trips..

I think it is too early to predict the long term reliability of the 2nd gen Acadia.

Have fun car shopping.

·
Registered
2019 Acadia SLT1 AWD
11 Posts
A friend of mine raves about the Kia, but My big thing is that I do not want a "big" vehicle (which is why i considered the 3 row santa fe). Going from a CRV I want one of the smallest 3 row vehicles (just want a little extra seating for those times of carpooling kids every once in a while). The Highlander is about the same size- but more expensive.

I am still surprised how well Kia and Hyundai score in reliability-I think the Acadia will be more upscale feeling than the Santa Fe, just need to make sure it isn't "unreliable" as I am seriously considering buying one. I am hoping the redesign for the 2nd gen redesign also brought improvements.

Divotdug- thanks for the feedback on your 2018 model! I too agree that it's hard to tell long term reliability on the 2nd gen. - which is why I am surprised Consumer Reports and USNews both have it rated so low.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
949 Posts
A friend of mine raves about the Kia, but My big thing is that I do not want a "big" vehicle (which is why i considered the 3 row santa fe). Going from a CRV I want one of the smallest 3 row vehicles (just want a little extra seating for those times of carpooling kids every once in a while). The Highlander is about the same size- but more expensive.

I am still surprised how well Kia and Hyundai score in reliability-I think the Acadia will be more upscale feeling than the Santa Fe, just need to make sure it isn't "unreliable" as I am seriously considering buying one. I am hoping the redesign for the 2nd gen redesign also brought improvements.

Divotdug- thanks for the feedback on your 2018 model! I too agree that it's hard to tell long term reliability on the 2nd gen. - which is why I am surprised Consumer Reports and USNews both have it rated so low.

Thanks again!
A lot of good choices out there. We found ourselves in a similar position. We came from a 2015 Equinox with the V6 engine and were really not shopping for a new vehicle, but happened upon seeing some great incentives on several brands and models in June 2019.
We didn't care for the bit smaller CUVs like the Sante Fe, Nissan Rogue, or newer down sized Equinox or Ford Escape with turbo engines. Also, some had CVT type transmissions which have had less than acceptable reliability.
The price, features, smooth comfortable and quiet ride of the Acadia SLT-1 has an upscale feel when we were comparing others.
If you found a 2019 at a good price, that is rare at this point since most 2019 models are gone, but also probably a good buying time due to the current conditions.
One thing we did do since we got such good pricing is opting for the new GM factory extended warranty that can only be purchased at the time of delivery. There were different mileage options, but we drive less than 10K miles per year usually and opted for the 5 year 60K mile extended warranty.
With all the technology from climate control, to infotainment and drive train, we felt better with some additional warranty. So, that may be something to consider.
The Acadia is a handsome and comfortable CUV and nimble handling.
1 Clean Edit 2.jpg 2A Clean Edit.jpg

·
Registered
2,278 Posts

Thanks again!
Not a tremendous difference in size.
Telluride is 197" x 78"
Highlander is 195" x 76"
Acadia is 193" x 75"

·
Registered
116 Posts
I buy my vehicles based on what I want, and how much repairs on them are going to be.

GM vehicles seem to be the cheapest when it comes to replacement parts and mechanical repairs.
I've wanted an Acadia since they came out, so it's been on my list for a while. When my old Sierra started having issues with the engine rods/lifters starting to "tap" and "click", I knew the engine wasn't long for this world, so I found the perfect used Acadia for me.

I bought it from a highly reputable used car place in downtown Dallas that has 5 star ratings across the board. Plus, they sold me the Acadia at a stupid low price!! I guess you can do that when you have such high ratings. I also got an awesome deal on the loan!!

I have a mechanic I use near where I live though, because he's above board honest, and he does not screw his customers over. He's so honest, that the police use him for their personal vehicles. Although I have used the dealers mechanics a couple of times, and they too did an excellent job.

I bought my Acadia at 82K miles, and now it's at 103K (since 2017 when I got it). Aside from the normal 100K upkeep and replacements, I have not had any major problems. Most of the things that do come along, are results of age or high mileage, but they are easy to take care of.

If you do your research and do the math on the money needed to do what needs to be done on buying a used vehicle, your "new" Acadia can keep you happy for quite a while.

I've also driven the new version too. Very nice. It seems higher up off the ground than my 2012, and aside from some of the fancy "gadgets" the newer ones have, I'd say they are pretty much the same as they have been.

Of course, then again, I'm also a station wagon enthusiast.......and my Acadia is the closest thing to a station wagon I could find, as far as newer vehicles are concerned. LOL

·
Registered
2019 Acadia SLT1 AWD
11 Posts
Thank you all for the feedback. I am feeling good about the Acadia. It's been a couple weeks since I first posted. I finally took the Acadia for a test drive about a week ago, loved it! Going to bring the wife to see one this weekend. As for new- well I had found one with an amazing deal, but the dealership played games with me and sold it to someone else. Looks like I am going to buy a used one (about a year old, with 15k-25k miles on it). Fits my budget better. Targeting 2019 model.

I like the look of the all terrain (and used it comes in right near the same pricing of most SLT-1 models), but noticed it comes with 20" rims. I Posted in another spot about rim size (18" vs 20") and got some good feedback. I think I prefer 18's, but am willing to give 20's a try and can always replace them if I want (yes, most people want bigger- I want what gives me the all around best ride).

So- now I am in the process of selling my car. Once that happens I will talk with more dealerships and see what kind of deal I can get.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Of course, then again, I'm also a station wagon enthusiast.......and my Acadia is the closest thing to a station wagon I could find, as far as newer vehicles are concerned. LOL
You must not have looked at the Subaru Outback. You can't get much closer to a station wagon than an one of those.

·
Registered
2019 Acadia SLT1 AWD
11 Posts
update

Mentioned this in another spot where I asked for wheel size advice, but thought I would let you all know that I went ahead and purchased a 2019 SLT1 model the other day.

Has about 15k miles on it. Very excited- love the vehicle so far. Thanks for your advice folks!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts