GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I own a Honda CRV and looking to buy a midsize suv. Have been looking at Acadia along with others. I want to know if Acadia is gooe choice. Lookwise its awesome but I am reading lot of reviews that GM vehicles are worst. GMC is ranked the most terrible amongst GM vehicles with Chevy being highest. I have read so much about terrible materials of GM vehicles too. So should I buy the Acadia or look at better options like Mazda, Toyota etc.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Hey guys, I own a Honda CRV and looking to buy a midsize suv. Have been looking at Acadia along with others. I want to know if Acadia is gooe choice. Lookwise its awesome but I am reading lot of reviews that GM vehicles are worst. GMC is ranked the most terrible amongst GM vehicles with Chevy being highest. I have read so much about terrible materials of GM vehicles too. So should I buy the Acadia or look at better options like Mazda, Toyota etc.
Are you considering used or new? If used, what years are you considering?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Troll? If you think the Acadia is potentially a horrible vehicle, go buy what you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My recommendation would be to stay away. There are some major quality issues around the timing chains. GM has said they have addressed these but as each model year gets older they seem to keep reappearing. I have a 2008 GMC Acadia and at 118k the dreaded check engine light came back on only after replacing the timing chains 40k miles earlier. GM stated the vehicle had too many miles on it for them to do anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I own a Honda CRV and looking to buy a midsize suv. Have been looking at Acadia along with others. I want to know if Acadia is good choice. Lookwise its awesome but I am reading lot of reviews that GM vehicles are worst. GMC is ranked the most terrible amongst GM vehicles with Chevy being highest. I have read so much about terrible materials of GM vehicles too. So should I buy the Acadia or look at better options like Mazda, Toyota etc.
I have had two and I am quite happy. I now own a 2019 Denali with the technology package. Like all cars, how well you like them is dependent on your expectations. Is the vehicle you are looking for going to be used for commuting, long road trips, around town trips, or to take the kids to soccer? We use our for long trips and around town and could not be happier with the ride and economy. Plenty of seating for grandkids and the technology package makes it a dream to park.
While looks are always subjective, I am very happy with both interior and exterior. The built in Wifi makes Pandora and phone usage much better. Just one person's experience.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you read about problems with GMC Vehicles, have you read about brand new Ford Explorers (60K plus high end) that were manufactured with severe issues and a lot of the vehicles had to be shipped to a secondary location to fix many of the problems.

I have a 2013 GMC Acadia Denali AWD I purchase new and now have 26K miles. Excellent Vehicle all around.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If you read about problems with GMC Vehicles, have you read about brand new Ford Explorers (60K plus high end) that were manufactured with severe issues and a lot of the vehicles had to be shipped to a secondary location to fix many of the problems.

I have a 2013 GMC Acadia Denali AWD I purchase new and now have 26K miles. Excellent Vehicle all around.
WOW. Only 26K miles on odometer. I thought my 2013 Denali was at the low end, but it has 36k. Been 36k good miles. My daughter bought a 2014 SLT new and now has almost 90K. No problems that I have heard of. She drives her kids around a lot.

George

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings, I love my 2019 Acadia Denali, and have had the GMC Envoy, 2010 Acadia, 2014 Acadia and now the 2019! Had one problem with new 2019, the was fix and no other troubles with any of these vehicles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have driven the Acadia. It drives awesome as well. Its very much planted on road and has a solid feel to it. Denali ride is certainly better than the other trims. My concerns are its reliability and overall quality. I feel like GMC is late to get the latest technology. Acadia is better than traverse any day but its getting the new transmission and led headlights pretty late. I would have loved to see those advances in 2018-2019 since 2018 traverse got them all. By the way does 2020 have the auto levelling and bending headlights?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

No interest in explorer though i like the twin turbo v6. Would like to get them on the GMC.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Well open to both but looking at 2019 as i feel 2020 is little overpriced. They need to get that under 50k
In your opening post, you asked about buying an Acadia versus the Mazda or Toyota. Can I assume you are comparing the Acadia to the CX-9 and the Highlander?

If so, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3.

·
Super Moderator
19,529 Posts
Well open to both but looking at 2019 as i feel 2020 is little overpriced. They need to get that under 50k
Unless you're looking at the ultra high-end, you'll find prices of most trims start well under $50K. Then, there are dealer/mfr. incentives to consider which can also lower the price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wife has a 2009 Acadia, 210,000 miles. Warranty work, timing chain, steering, headlights. Wave plate in trans went a couple miles out of warranty got lucky with dealership paid around 1/2 price. I had to install a brake switch, headlight bulbs. Also rear wiper, rear door opener. 3 or 4 sets of tires 3 sets of brakes. Battery. Struts. Hubs. It needs a belt I think the trans is going out again. It has been a pretty good car. With all the stuff that went wrong it only left us stranded once, when the timing chain went. When the trans went I drove it home going 15 or 20 MPH. It is going up for sale Monday, Wife is getting a 2014 Yukon. 70,000 miles. I would get yukon or suburban instead of Acadia, thats just me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't get an '09. I bought one new and it's been a money pit. Just read all the problems on this forum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My recommendation would be to stay away. There are some major quality issues around the timing chains. GM has said they have addressed these but as each model year gets older they seem to keep reappearing. I have a 2008 GMC Acadia and at 118k the dreaded check engine light came back on only after replacing the timing chains 40k miles earlier. GM stated the vehicle had too many miles on it for them to do anything.
Amen. And don't forget the transmission problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do not know what you read or where, but what I read is just the opposite of what you read.

George
While shopping for our Acadia, I read the good, the bad and the ugly about it on multiple websites, not just on here. There is praise to be had as well as things to consider before laying down your hard earned cash on one. I considered the multiple complaints of AC system failures as well as transmission problems and other electrical issues being reported by consumers over the years. Knowing these issues could be a problem, I still bought one, just this time around I bought an extended warranty, something I don't normally do when buying a vehicle.

I'm not sure if you are taking it to heart when someone complains about the Acadia, but these vehicles are not without their faults. Every vehicle seems to have some kind of issue with it. But when you have to shell out $2000 plus dollars on air conditioning work, that in my book is not considered routine maintenance but a major repair. I can tell you I looked at Edmunds, KBB, NADA, Consumer Reports, Car Gurus, this forum, and several other sources for information and the number one complaint on the 2013 plus Acadias is air conditioning failures and the major expense to repair them. For the older Acadias, the wave plate in the trans and the timing chains dominate the list. I am guessing you know this based on my search of this forum and the results of answers I see given to people when they ask repeated questions about common issues or just complain.

My advice to anyone considering an Acadia... do your homework. Find one that has been well maintained and do consider an extended bumper to bumper warranty in your budget. On the Acadia and most newer tech savvy vehicles, the repairs are not cheap and most repairs that used to be fluke, one off deals are now becoming more common and more expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had two and I am quite happy. I now own a 2019 Denali with the technology package. Like all cars, how well you like them is dependent on your expectations. Is the vehicle you are looking for going to be used for commuting, long road trips, around town trips, or to take the kids to soccer? We use our for long trips and around town and could not be happier with the ride and economy. Plenty of seating for grandkids and the technology package makes it a dream to park.
While looks are always subjective, I am very happy with both interior and exterior. The built in Wifi makes Pandora and phone usage much better. Just one person's experience.
I also have a 2019 Denali with the tech package. I love this suv. Rides great, plenty of power. I use to own a GMC Denali Terrain 2013. I put 137,000 miles on it. The only thing I replace twice was new batteries. . The new Denali Terrain only came with a turbo 4 cylinder. Not interested in 4 cylinder vehicles. Stepped up to the Denali Acadia, so glad I did. Will by another one when it’s time to trade the 2019 in.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts