GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is quite the disturbing calculator!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??? :banghead: :help:

Makes me think I should buy one of those Yukons they are "giving away"!

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Trading in a vehicle solely for fuel mileage improvements is a tricky situation. If your vehicle is already paid off, you better be getting a lot better mileage to make up for having a car payment (if you finance), plus property tax on a newer vehicle (at least here in Kansas). A new car payment can buy a lot of gas as long as you don't have a "moral issue" with burning fossil fuels at a greater rate. Everyone's situation is different.

·
Registered
533 Posts
GeoHawk - I agree! I once spoke w/ a guy on a car lot who was considering trading in his 7 yr old mid-size truck for a GMC Canyon that might obtain 3 mpg improvement. I asked him if he'd considered spending $23K to accomplish that a wise choice. Made him think!

For me, I'm already driving my 21+ yr old S-10 blazer - and getting around 17 mpg overall, and 21-22 on the hwy. I'm ok with the mileage, although for a lousy 2.8 liter engine I'd like to see better. So, replacing an old tired 125 h.p. for a new 288 h.p. in a roughly equiv. vehicle (size / function), I'm totally excited that I could have at least the same mpg - plus all the goodies of a new car!

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smooth said:
GeoHawk - I agree! I once spoke w/ a guy on a car lot who was considering trading in his 7 yr old mid-size truck for a GMC Canyon that might obtain 3 mpg improvement. I asked him if he'd considered spending $23K to accomplish that a wise choice. Made him think!

For me, I'm already driving my 21+ yr old S-10 blazer - and getting around 17 mpg overall, and 21-22 on the hwy. I'm ok with the mileage, although for a lousy 2.8 liter engine I'd like to see better. So, replacing an old tired 125 h.p. for a new 288 h.p. in a roughly equiv. vehicle (size / function), I'm totally excited that I could have at least the same mpg - plus all the goodies of a new car!

Smooth <><[/color]
If you're OK with that gas mileage, go to Jags That Run and put a small block V8 in that Blazer! I have a 5.3L 2005 Chevy V8 in a 1988 RX7 and get pretty good average mileage (around 18) so long as I don't have too much fun with it ;).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ha ha,
I put in my Audi I sold for the Acadia and it was 0 months, because acording the calc. the Audi and the Acadia get the same milage :confused::banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
If I bought a lovely Toyota Prius </sarcasm> I could begin saving $$ on fuel in 9 months.

It's still not worth it. LOL

If I bought a Smart Fortwo, I could start saving $$ immediately. ;)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I suspect many people use things like gas mileage and repair bills to rationalize getting a new car. But if you actually do the math, economically an older car with no payments beats a new car. If someone wants a new car, fine - but they shouldn't be kidding themselves that they're saving money by getting out of a paid-for vehicle.

I harbor no illusion that replacing my '97 Grand Caravan with an Acadia was a good economic move. I wanted a new vehicle - didn't need one.

Now Smooth - I'll give you my blessing to dump your '87 Blazer though ;) Heck, I might still be driving my '87 Lebaron Coupe if I wouldn't have totaled it. OK maybe not.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
loach - I could not agree more. The 1997 Grand Prix I sold to a friend in 2001 has gone 100,000 miles since the sale. He has had to put about $1800 into it during that time. For my commute, the Vibe I replaced it with gets 38 mpg vs the 20 mpg. But I had to shell out $15K to get into the 2004 Vibe. From strictly a financial viewpoint, keeping the old one and paying a bit more gas money would have been cheaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts