GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've always had large SUV's in my family, my father worked for GM, and we are considering an Acadia for our daughter? Is it too large? Shes only ever driven large Surburbans and SUV's though?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try too expensive and too new.
A kid's first car should be used and need a little TLC to "keep it happy".
Don't spoil your daughter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Although I agree with tjw68, it's your money and your daughter. Personally I won't buy an expensive SUV for my daughter until I was confident that she proved to me that her driving record was very good, not to mention the insurance rate on a new expensive Acadia. At the moments she has a small car and will work her way to a bigger one later. Driving experience is the key, how well will she handle a vehicle no matter what size it is.

But if your sure that you want to buy her the Acadia and find out if it's too big for her, here's a thought! Take her to a dealership and test drive one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
acadiaisamazing said:
We've always had large SUV's in my family, my father worked for GM, and we are considering an Acadia for our daughter? Is it too large? Shes only ever driven large Surburbans and SUV's though?
Well if she's only ever driver Suburbans and full sized SUV's this may feel a little "sporty" for her ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not our place to talk money, but from first hand experience (in college and 21), something like a Chevy Equinox or Pontiac Torrent is a GREAT sized crossover for a younger person. I know a few people with them, yes parental purchases, and they're a great size for someone in school, etc.

The Acadia, as a 7/8 seater, is not huge, but too large and expensive for a first timer, and just overkill--hence, the 5-seater, smaller but still very roomy Equinox/Torrent is perfect, and still GM.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just traded in my Chevy Equinox when I got my ACADIA and I can say that my 20 year old gollege sophomore loved it, loved it, loved it.

In terms of a recommendation - I surely would give it one.

And since everyone is commenting about money (and saying they shouldn't :D) I also would not spend that kind of money on my kid!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I value my time spent driving a 12 year old Honda Accord in high school. It made me appreciate things more in the future. Did I love it then, no, but it got me where I needed to go.

But, I know there are some areas where kids are very entitled and it is a way of life. We were just visiting family friends in the Bay Area and they were worried whether mom's old Lexus RX 300 SUV would be OK for their daughter....in a school full of kids driving Escalades and such.

That is a lifestyle I do not know and am glad I don't.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Besides the waste of money on a 16 year old, I find it scary that 6 or 7 passengers may be at the mercy of a 16 year old driver.

·
Registered
108 Posts
OK, You asked so here's my opinion. Just think back to when you first began to drive, I Personally was a very good kid who never ever got into any trouble Everyone wanted me as there baby sitter, even my teachers. Despite all of that I did do a few very stupid things while driving, simply due to inexperience.....
Remember too the bigger the car, more room for passengers. Pretty much all teen accidents are when they have passengers. I also think that the Acadia would have more of a roll over chance than a car. If you need All wheel drive there's certainly many more cars that have it now. I'm sure you can find a lot of info by doing a search online for safe cars for teens.
Good luck to ya, Lee

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hence, as 2 of us have now said, life lessons and someone else's pocket book are not at hand here--a vehicle suggestion is.

And I still stand by recommending a Chevy Equinox or Pontiac Torrent. Not everyone who is just bought a new car is a complete idiot about it, and a lot actually do appreciate it, but again, not the question.

Equinox or Torrent :thumb: Acadia/Outlook...no...more "family" sized and themed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm driving an 06 Equinox right now and I think it would be a great choice for a teenager. I'm planning to get an Acadia this fall as I need the extra seating. if I didn't need to extra room to haul my 2 kids and their friends around, I'd be perfectly happy keeping it! It's fun to drive and still has the SUV features that I need living in a place where it snows 10 months out of the year. Some good friends of ours are looking at getting an Equinox for their daughter in January when she turns 16. My personal opinion is that yes, the Acadia is too big for a 16 year old. It's more of a "family" type vehicle. The Equinox/Torrent is a little smaller and probably something a teenager would prefer driving. Just my two cents here!

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you are suggesting an Acadia for a 16 yr old, I assume she won't be paying for gas and insurance, so size seems to be a moot point. The only thing I would worry about, as was mentioned, is that she'll become the one that constantly drives everyone around, in which case I would worry about accidents and the inevitable lawsuits that will follow. So something smaller and more frugal would be more "sensible".

If you do get her the Acadia, please get her the backup camera option.

·
Registered
269 Posts
jfencl said:
Besides the waste of money on a 16 year old, I find it scary that 6 or 7 passengers may be at the mercy of a 16 year old driver.
I found this quote rather funny. Am I the only one who went over capacity when hauling friends around? I had a 1969 Delta 88 when I started driving in '83, which sat about 6 very comfortably, so 8 was generally the capacity, 9 in a pinch. My mom had a 78 Custom Cruiser full size wagon, with stated capacity of 8, and when we needed to take 10 or so, we had to borrow that car.

I think it is safe to say, if I was a kid, and I didn't even have many friends, the Acadia would have been a dream, with a capacity of about eleven, and plenty of room for sex in the back (or the front). I wasn't even a bad kid, good student, never even saw the principal for discipline, no drinking, no drugs.

I would say the Acadia is a horrible choice for a teenager. While you don't want one being driven around by another teenager, you don't want them being the chauffer and driver for all the schenanigans. Having 7 passengers is 7 times the capacity for trouble than if they have just one or two.

A safe sedan is a much better choice. One of my best buds has a 16 y/o daughter who was in a head on accident last year, she was driving a late model Volvo. That would be an excellent choice for a teenager. The car was obliterated, as well as the BMW that crossed the center line to hit her (he was turning left into traffic). That driver had multiple ribs broken as well as an arm and a leg. The girl driving the volvo I think needed just 3 stitches, but the main thing is she walked away and was playing basketball two days later.

As a side, I did go to a high school of some privelege. The vast majority of students over 16 had cars, and a large proportion of those were relatively new, and sometimes new cars. That did not necessarily spoil those kids, the only thing it did do was create an expectation for some where they would buy their own nice cars probably a little sooner than they should have, or alternatively, sometimes mommy and daddy were buying cars until the kids were in their 30s. Some adapted quite well and were appreciative of what they had, others went out and were reckless and irresponsible with cars which came too easy. It is all in the kid and how they were raised to that point I think.

·
Registered
362 Posts
mitchl said:
jfencl said:
I found this quote rather funny. Am I the only one who went over capacity when hauling friends around?
Absolutely not. I overloaded my old Fairlane on a few occasions. Hell, my friend had 7 people in his Rabbit a couple of times. However, a 7/8 passenger vehicle will become the "go to" car when groups of kids need a ride somewhere. Then again, imagine overloading an Acadia...

·
Registered
389 Posts
One bad wreck as a child (my mom and me only...no seat belt, 6 yrs old in front seat) cured me of the urge to ever stuff a car full of teenagers because of not having enough seatbelts. It is the stupidest thing you could do and I would often beg my friends not to do it. I gave in, one time in college, and sat on my boyfriend's lap and my hands had to be peeled from around his neck and shoulders. I was terrified.

It is always the lap sitters who are ejected and die. I cannot believe I even did it once.

I hope that "Acadiasamazing" who started the thread isn't completely scared off the board by this thread - obviously several (myself included) have been very judgmental.

I am sure some kids who receive cars from mommy and daddy do just fine. And some wrap their car around trees like Hulk Hogan's son. He was quoted in a recent magazine about getting pulled over on the interstate on Florida 3 time in one day.

You really don't want your daughter to be the taxi driver. I have a friend who once they replaced their VW van 8 years ago with a suburban held onto the van for their teenagers to drive. Now, whenever I see them driving, it just strikes me as so odd that a 16 year old is driving a 7 passenger van. It is just not a good fit.

We need to sell one of our Accords when we buy our Acadia - it would make a great high school driver's car. Anyone interested? ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
jfencl said:
my friend had 7 people in his Rabbit a couple of times. However, a 7/8 passenger vehicle will become the "go to" car when groups of kids need a ride somewhere. Then again, imagine overloading an Acadia...
I actually had 8 in a 1984 Corolla on 7/4/87. Seven chicks!! (2 in the passenger seat, 3 in the back seat, 2 in the hatch). Car drove like absolute crap. I had driven my date alone to fireworks and there met up with some friends all who had gone in the a van (12 in the van). After fireworks, the van wouldn't start, some police came by and actually recommended that we get all the girls out of there (not the best area where the parking was, but later we all came to the conclusion the cops were messing with us). So I hauled all the girls home, and went back with the wagon, only to have 4-5 of the chicks want to go back for their boyfriends with me, so then we were past capacity in the wagon coming back.

Man I would have loved to have an Acadia back then- and thats why it's a bad choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would push for a car, not an SUV.

Does it have to be a GM car?

If you want a new car for the kid, I would get a MINI Cooper S. Yes I am a little biased, but they are fun, quick and safe. Plus if you get it new, the first 4 years/50,000 miles all maintanence is free from the dealer. That includes oil changes, wiper blades, brakes and rotors. Just about everything but tires. I took a 2002 MINI through a tree off the side of a highway and walked away with a bump on the head.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Oh, what teenager wouldn't love a mini? I would have killed for one back in the day!

What does SHE want?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
To everyone concerned about hauling around more teenagers than a vehicle can handle, I'm not sure about other states, but in Illinois, anyone under 18 years of age can only have one other teenage passenger in the vehicle with them.

As for buying an Acadia for my kid... *shrugs* to each their own. Yes, there are places where this is customary or expected of the parents. My home isn't one of them. LOL But that doesn't make it wrong. The Acadia is a great vehicle and if it's within your budget and you think your daughter can handle driving a vehicle this size, then by all means, go for it. But I wouldn't get the fully loaded SLT or AWD since those seem to have more issues with them. Go for a nice base model SLE minus the bells and whistles.

Good luck to ya!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts