GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 30,000 miles on my Acadia, the dealer told me that I needed to have the fuel injectors flushed for a cost of $150. When I asked him why this wasn't part of the recommended service as laid out in the Acadia's manual or by GM Goodwrench, he told me that this is an "over-and-above" service and that "all dealerships offer this".

I did a bit of Googling and found that the reason fuel injector cleaning is not recommended by the manufacturer is that it is not needed if the vehicle is operated under normal conditions, uses good fuel and is maintained on a regular basis.

Is the dealer trying to lift a few more bills from my wallet or is fuel injector cleaning a must?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
In my experience fuel injector cleaning should be done occasionally. It will keep the carbon and other buildup from building in the valves and throttle body and keep your emissions low. It also keeps your engine running smooth and keeps it as fuel effecient as it can be. Is it absolutely necessary, no but it is a good idea to do it ocassionally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Secam said:
Is the dealer trying to lift a few more bills from my wallet or is fuel injector cleaning a must?
Secam

If your Acadia performance & fuel mileage are unchanged, you have nothing to gain by cleaning the injectors. Few engines ever require this and it is not recommended by GM.

You might, however, consider a new more honest dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
tekwarrior said:
Secam

If your Acadia performance & fuel mileage are unchanged, you have nothing to gain by cleaning the injectors.
I agree, most gas has additives to help keep everything clean.

The bottom line is:
If you don't have any drivability issues, you don't have injector issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
I always use Lucas Injector Cleaner at each oil change. My '95 Chevy Fullsize has almost 200K miles and still runs smooth as silk (nothing has ever been done to the throttle body or pump).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
I used Techron injector cleaner around 15,000 to 20,000 on my vehicles as a preventative measure.I usually add it to the fuel tank before a long trip so it won't stay in the tank for extended periods of time. Use a quality fuel and it will help keep those injectors clean. GM along with others recommend a "Top Tier" gasoline with additives to prevent and remove deposits in the injectors and valves.
I had an intermittent miss in my old Bonneville's 3800 engine which turned out to be a bad injector. While troubleshooting this problem I found during an injector balance test the bad injector wasn't dropping as much pressure as the others. I tried cleaning with 3M injector cleaner(I have the special hookup for this) to see if it helped . The overall drop remained the same but all injector added another 5 kpa drop meaning the cleaning helped.
I hope I didn't confuse anyone. I would stay away from the dealer cleaning system unless you have a problem.

Bobby
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Problem is you are paying $10.40 not counting tax and shipping to save about .5mpg (based on a 20mpg average). That means that in a 20 gallon tank you have saved 10 miles or one half gallon of gas. That one half gallon of gas cost you over $10. As everybody else has said, if your car ain't broke, ya don't need to fix it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,722 Posts
For what it's worth, I put any quality fuel injector cleaner in my gas somewhere between 75,000 and 100,000 miles just as a maintenance item. It never hurts, minimizes any expense and keeps you from getting ripped-off from your dealer or "not-so-friendly" neighborhood mechanic.

(what's with all the advertising here!!!) :lame:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
I have now driven 4 cars over 150,000 miles and never had any fuel injector cleaning done. My brother-in-law has now had 5 cars that he had fuel injector issues with somewhere between 75-100K and the repair shop told him he should have had them cleaned regularly.

The majority of the time I use gas from a top tier station. (unless I just cannot find one) My brother-in-law always buys from the cheapest gas station he can find and usually it is from a generic name station or one of these stations connected with a discount store.

Here is some info about the Top Tier gas. http://www.toptiergas.com/ I also think that stations like Exxon/Mobil and BP also have quality cleaners and good gas, but they just have not jumped through the hoops to get on the Top Tier list. For sure, any station on that list has the cleaners required to be on the list.


I do not have proof and only my limited life experience, but I personally believe that the cleaners in the better gas keep the injectors clean and there is no need to ever have them cleaned or put in additives if you use good gas. But if you use the cheaper gas, then perhaps you should pay the $150 every so often to get them cleaned or pay $10 every so often for some additive.

Note: My dealership will clean them if you ask, but never recommends or pushes it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,716 Posts
Do they take the injectors out and clean them or just put in a bottle of cleaner for $3.00 and charge $150.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
The actually hook up a machine to the fuel rail and run cleaner through the entire fuel system.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,722 Posts
dfrank78 said:
The actually hook up a machine to the fuel rail and run cleaner through the entire fuel system.
And, you don't want to be anywhere near the car when they first start it. The smoke will eat your lungs out!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Nobody said:
DeForger said:
I used Techron injector cleaner around 15,000 to 20,000 on my vehicles as a preventative measure.I usually add it to the fuel tank before a long trip so it won't stay in the tank for extended periods of time. Use a quality fuel and it will help keep those injectors clean. GM along with others recommend a "Top Tier" gasoline with additives to prevent and remove deposits in the injectors and valves.
I had an intermittent miss in my old Bonneville's 3800 engine which turned out to be a bad injector. While troubleshooting this problem I found during an injector balance test the bad injector wasn't dropping as much pressure as the others. I tried cleaning with 3M injector cleaner(I have the special hookup for this) to see if it helped . The overall drop remained the same but all injector added another 5 kpa drop meaning the cleaning helped.
I hope I didn't confuse anyone. I would stay away from the dealer cleaning system unless you have a problem.

Bobby


Is this the one you used?

http://www.autobarn.net/3m-08812.html
Here is the link to the one I used for direct cleaning.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...CEK3_nid=GSF0VFFGT8gsGSJX1THS8HglGS3LR49QJ2bl

Here is the one I use around 20,000 miles

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/prodserv/additives/tcp.aspx

For direct cleaning you need a special hose and adapter to hook it to the fuel rail. You cycle your ignition on and off to build rail pressure. Disconnect the fuel pump connector. Remove and plug the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line. Pinch off fuel return line if possible. Start vehicle and let idle until it stall. Remove cleaner and hose. Reconnect everything and start engine. Your done.

Bobby
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
shogun95 said:
I always add a FI cleaner to the tank every time I change the oil. Seems like very cheap insurance to me.
In my opinion you would be better off adding the injector cleaner to your fuel tank a few tanks before your change your oil. This way any byproduct/ waste doesn't contaminate your new oil.

Bobby
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,722 Posts
hey, if you guys all want to waste your money, knock yourselves out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,716 Posts
If you get out on the e-way and let your vehicles breath a little, (I mean put your foot in the gas) then no injector cleaner should be needed. ;D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,722 Posts
Six, what's an e-way? is that like a virtual highway?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,716 Posts
speleos said:
Six, what's an e-way? is that like a virtual highway?
expressway or freeway ;)
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top