GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today in the Houston Chronicle that a local dealer is offering "0% financing for 60 months and $4500 off of MSRP :-\ on 2007 CX-9s". Although I ordered an '08 Acadia several weeks ago, I must admit that I would have STRONGLY given the CX-9 a look had such an offer been made known to me at the time. I could be mistaken, but I'm starting to see more enticing incentives being provided by rival crossover companies than those currently available on the Acadia.

I get the sense that GM feels so good about the popularity of the Acadia that they don't believe offering such incentives as 0% for 60 months and/or cash back is necessary --- and perhaps they are right. I do think that if they are not careful, GM is going to let overconfidence bite them in the butt and lose on sales in the long run to the CX-9, 2008 Highlander, Focus, etc.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It's simple supply and demand. GM would be crazy to offer those kinds of incentives until they have to. If and when inventory starts to build up, they can always increase incentives. That's why incentives are reevaluated and updated every 1-2 months. The CX-9 must not be selling as well as the Acadia in your area. Are you cancelling your Acadia order now that you know about the CX-9 offer? If not, that would seem like evidence that GM has these priced about right.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
loach said:
Are you cancelling your Acadia order now that you know about the CX-9 offer? If not, that would seem like evidence that GM has these priced about right.
Actually, it's only evidence that I don't wish to consider another vehicle when my already ordered Acadia is well along in the build phase. Not sure how my going forward with the process means GM is doing the right things with respect to incentives. As I stated previously, if I had both current offers to evaluate before making a decision to purchase/order, I very well may have gone with the CX-9.

Don't get me wrong, I very much understanding how they are balancing pricing and incentives. I just wonder if they are being a bit overconfident, which may come back to haunt them in the long run.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Unless you made a non-refundable deposit, you could still cancel your order and get a CX-9. It doesn't sound like you're going to, which tells me you are comfortable with the price you're paying for the Acadia.

Selling vehicles for what people will pay for them is not overconfidence.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I know of dealerships that will discount up to $5k on a fully loaded Acadia. You can get a 5.5-6% interest rate at some credit unions.

I really think that if you are patient and can wait for an Acadia (or Enclave), then you will get some kind of incentive. For example, if you want a 2007 in a few months after the 2008s are all over the dealer lots. However, with some dealers willing to discount $5k on a $45k Acadia right now, I don't expect the prices to go down too much more...unless there is some manufacturer to dealer marketing program (check Edmund's web site for that).

I have no choice but to by a GM car since I have $3400 now as my earnings on my GM card. I will max it out once I hit $3500. I also now have almost $1000 on my Citibank Drivers Edge card as earnings (can be used on any car). So by buying an Acadia, I plan on receiving it for appx. $9500 off MSRP before I put any of my money down on a down payment (or selling my existing car...which won't be worth squat...98 Grand Prix GT coupe).

·
Registered
403 Posts
The only way GM would know, is if Acadia sales drop...but I don't see that happening, so you could buy a Yukon, they'll work with you on those big time. There are probably 40 on the lot at my dealer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I dont know about the acadia but they sure are screwing up w/the enclave.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
MsS42 said:
I dont know about the acadia but they sure are screwing up w/the enclave.
How so? Based on what?

·
Registered
468 Posts
loach said:
How so? Based on what?
I think she is referring to simple availability and 10-14 week delivery times. People are frustrated with the lack of updates on orders (probably a dealer issue). Some are frustrated that car rental companies have vehicles but orders aren't being filled in a timely fashion. Also fleets of vehicles being supplied to PGA golf tournaments.

It's not the vehicle itself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will say that I am not happy to hear that Acadia fleet vehicles are being put out when I cannot even get a production date on the vehicle I re-ordered on 6/26. The dealer did not check the status after my initial order (placed on 6/8) to see that it was errored out. If the dealer had been on top of the situation I would be getting my Acadia this week, HOWEVER, due to the 2 week shut-down and all these other orders being filled I keep waiting. I should have pulled something off the lot during the memorial day incentive program plus I had a mailing incentive for $1,000 that expired on 6/18. That all adds up to cover the extras I would have gotten with the best part being that I would have had the vehicle. Just venting...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Lack of supply = higher prices = internet discussion. :cheers:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, it's simple. You NEVER use incentives unless you NEED them. Given the current and likely continuing turn-around from build date to off the lot of all the new GM Lambdas, with very little if any extra incentives, it's going to be a while before you see a hike.

So no, they're not making a mistake at all. For years, the likes of Honda, etc. have gotten along with dealers discounting as they want in the MSRP-invoice spread, but with little extra manufacturer cash on top. The cars sell on their merits AND MSRP in reference to those merits, and the Acadia is a great example of that done right.

The fact that you'd now consider a CX-9 just because they have better incentives means you trully are more bottom line minded than ultimately seeing what vehicle fits you best, which is a worthy point. But to be more attracted to a competitor MAINLY because of more cash laying on the hood...nuts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
caddycruiser said:
The fact that you'd now consider a CX-9 just because they have better incentives means you trully are more bottom line minded than ultimately seeing what vehicle fits you best, which is a worthy point. But to be more attracted to a competitor MAINLY because of more cash laying on the hood...nuts.
I could buy that if the alternative is an inferior option. I don't think the CX-9 fits that category. Although my preference remains the Acadia, I would not have the slightest problem driving a CX-9.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Interesting Mumford, since your profile says you are glad you didn't buy the CX-9. I guess we took that to mean that you thought it was a stinky vehicle...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JonTon said:
Interesting Mumford, since your profile says you are glad you didn't buy the CX-9. I guess we took that to mean that you thought it was a stinky vehicle...
Uh, not so. Why would strongly preferring one vehicle over another make the less preferred alternative "stinky"? ??? The CX-9 is a fine vehicle in its own right and judging by some reviews, thought to be a better vehicle than the Acadia. That said, I still favor the Acadia.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Copy. Thanks for the clarification. :thumb:

By the way hello to a fellow Houstonian!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JonTon said:
Copy. Thanks for the clarification. :thumb:

By the way hello to a fellow Houstonian!
NP. By the way, have you purchased an Acadia or are in the market? I'm beginning to see more and more Acadias and Outlooks in and around Houston. At this point I'm hoping to receive mine by the end of August.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We plan on purchasing in the fall and can't wait. My main indecision point is whether or not to get the NAV. I really want the backup camera and also prefer the look of the factory system. Some aftermarket systems just look so raunchy. Mumford, are you concerned at all about the sunroof and this Houston heat? I don't think it would be too much of an issue for us...

Hey which dealer did you use and were you happy with them?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm from Houston (suburbs), don't have a problem at all with the sunroof. I used David Taylor and was VERY happy with them. No pressure for anything!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JonTon said:
We plan on purchasing in the fall and can't wait. My main indecision point is whether or not to get the NAV. I really want the backup camera and also prefer the look of the factory system. Some aftermarket systems just look so raunchy. Mumford, are you concerned at all about the sunroof and this Houston heat? I don't think it would be too much of an issue for us...

Hey which dealer did you use and were you happy with them?
JT,

I'm not too worried about the sunroof here in Houston, as I've had them in my past 2 vehicles.

I guess to each his own Mckcab, but I had a HORRIBLE experience with David Taylor (DT). They had me paired up with a guy who boasted "16 years of experience" on his business card. Unfortunately this guy seemed clueless as could be. Made 2 visits to the dealership and wasted an entire weekend waiting to find out I couldn't order a 2007 -- in spite of being told for the past FIVE days by this guy that I could. Even after talking to the GM and expressing my extreme displeasure with this buying experience, I never heard back from them or received a good explanation as to why they lacked accurate information on the factory order process. Guess they didn't care for my business. ::)

On the other hand, I had an excellent experience with Beck and Masten Pontiac GMC (located off of 1960). Not long after the DT experience, I inquired at Beck & M about the 2007 orders. I was told IMMEDIATELY, that the opportunity to order an '07 passed "several" weeks ago. ??? I would highly recommend James Coker to purchase the Acadia (very straightforward and knowledgeable).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts