GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that leather gets hot in the sun, but I had heard differing stories of what factors go into making it hot. Some have said that dark leather gets hotter than light leather. Some have said that if you have a light exterior, the car tends to not get as hot as a dark exterior. Is this true? I'm struggling with getting the titanium, with the fear of the light carpet that comes with it. (I have young kids) But I don't want to bake in the sun with the ebony. Do you think the outside color effects greatly the interior heat?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
Ask me in about 3 months when it gets warm around here. I had a silver car with grey or titanium leather interior. I now have a Carbon Black Acadia with Ebony leather. I am sure it will be fine, either way it is going to be warm. I have always had ventvisors, so I crack my windows when it is hot, I also got the front windows tinted so that may help some too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I'm going to have to agree that a lighter exterior keeps it from getting as hot on the inside, but the only color leather I've ever had is gray. I have Titanium seats, but my carpet is ebony so I don't think that you have only 1 choice unless that changed from 07 to 08. Another option to explore is to get the color carpeting that you want and have aftermarket leather put in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Yes, it does. The whole interior will be hotter, simply because the darker colors soak up a lot more heat in general. A good comparo I have is two mid 90's Cadillac Fleetwoods, one silver and one white...but then with a maroon interior vs. a light neutral beige one. Park them side by side on a hot day, and climb inside and the one with the dark interior is SO much warmer and everything you touch is hotter. All an affect of the darkness.

Yet another reason (dust, scuffs, fingerprints, hair, etc.) I'm not a fan of dark interiors. Well, that, or understand why people think they don't show as much...staining, no, but everything else sticks out like a soar thumb, doesn't feel as open or airy, etc.

As for outside, that also makes a big difference...with, again, light & bright reflective colors not absorbing as much heat as dark ones. And then the effect of the light vs. dark interior on top of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
I have the ebony, I don't think it is any hotter than my black car with gray interior. Plus, if you use the auto start, it takes the edge off. In Houston, once it gets over a certain temp, a few degrees don't seem to make a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
This isn't a subjective issue.

Black aborbs more heat - period. Those with black interior can rationalize it anyway they want. BLACK RETAINS MORE HEAT. That's science, not speculation.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
mckcab said:
I have the ebony, I don't think it is any hotter than my black car with gray interior. Plus, if you use the auto start, it takes the edge off. In Houston, once it gets over a certain temp, a few degrees don't seem to make a difference.
HOT IS HOT, doesnt matter if it is 95 or 135 it is just hot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
I'm not saying it is not hotter by a temperature gauge. I am saying that when you car gets up to 90 plus, a few degrees don't matter. IT IS STILL HOT!! Gray is hot, white is hot, black is hot! It can be 100 or so in the car. What I said still stands. If you have auto start in a hot place, it takes the edge off ANY color. My mom has a silver Lexus with light gray interior, I would not get in that car without leaving the door open for a few minutes.

Just because we are "trying to rationalize" doesn't mean we're stupid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
I have had both ebony and gray interiors in cars.
White with black cloth interior
Silver with gray cloth interior
Charcoal with ebony leather interior
The white car spent two years in the Middle East.
The other two have been driven through CA in the middle of summer.
I found that the difference in temperatures is not that great unless the A/C is not up to the task. In fact, my daughter complained of the interior in the Outlook being too cold while driving in 110 degree heat with full sun.
The exterior colors did not play a huge role as I thought it would. The interior did not suffer from the exterior color. Again, unless the car is really old or sucks at cooling, the color made no difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
You know, if the temperate was always 45 degrees, the interior probably would never be too hot.

The cause and effect of some of the rationale being posted is quite humorous....

If I had enough money, it doesn't matter how many checks I write...

If I was 16, eating fatty foods really wouldn't cause much weight gain...

If I was 250 pounds, drinking 4 beers would not have put me over the legal limit...

If I really wanted to rationalize my dark interior, I can always find a reason to believe the heat retention isn't that bad...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Hey mykidsmom...look what you started. I bet you had no idea how heated talking about HEAT would get..lol. :eek:hno:

Did you decide on special ordering or not?? :blob:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Jake_99 said:
You know, if the temperate was always 45 degrees, the interior probably would never be too hot.

The cause and effect of some of the rationale being posted is quite humorous....

If I had enough money, it doesn't matter how many checks I write...

If I was 16, eating fatty foods really wouldn't cause much weight gain...

If I was 250 pounds, drinking 4 beers would not have put me over the legal limit...

If I really wanted to rationalize my dark interior, I can always find a reason to believe the heat retention isn't that bad...

You must not live in the south because you don't seem to know what you are talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
:tunes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
No, since I went to Oxford University I lost all American logic and physics. (Not ALL people from the south are dumb!)

That is NOT the point!! HOT IS HOT!! It could be hotter in a black car but....

I quit. I bow to the obvious :help:. Since I do live in the south, I have learned to be polite. >:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
mckcab said:
No, since I went to Oxford University I lost all American logic and physics. (Not ALL people from the south are dumb!)

That is NOT the point!! HOT IS HOT!! It could be hotter in a black car but....

I quit. I bow to the obvious :help:. Since I do live in the south, I have learned to be polite. >:D
Nicely done. :thumb: I, too, have been throwing in the towel lately. OXFORD??? Your the bomb! (i have teenagers..the lingo rubs off!) My mother always taught me to be the "bigger" person and just let it go. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
To answer the original poster's question...which I thought was the point of the thread...

Darker material absorbs more light.

Light is heat.

Ebony leather retains more heat than titanium leather. It is a color thang. Just like a black shirt compared to a white shirt, made of the same material. It is physics. I apologize if saying that is rude.

Darker colors do retain/absorb more heat than lighter ones - the heat radiates out of the material...and onto you...white shirts radiate less because they absorb less...and reflect more...

Using AC is not making the darker leather "less heat absorbant"...it compensates for it...just like putting more money in an overdrawn account. The money isn't the SOLUTION - it's only masks the problem...just like AC...on dark leather...I'm sorry, I'm being rude again...very unsouthern, Oxfordian of me...to point out...

If you want a dark colored car, and/or dark interior, you have to live with the additional heat absorption. There's many ways to compensate for it, or rationalize it away...but it doesn't remove the basic physics of the problem.

So keep writing those checks...cause there's always more money...or go to Oxford...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Jake_99 said:
To answer the original poster's question...which I thought was the point of the thread...

Darker material absorbs more light.

Light is heat.

Ebony leather retains more heat than titanium leather. It is a color thang. Just like a black shirt compared to a white shirt, made of the same material. It is physics. I apologize if saying that is rude.

Darker colors do retain/absorb more heat than lighter ones - the heat radiates out of the material...and onto you...white shirts radiate less because they absorb less...and reflect more...

Using AC is not making the darker leather "less heat absorbant"...it compensates for it...just like putting more money in an overdrawn account. The money isn't the SOLUTION - it's only masks the problem...just like AC...on dark leather...I'm sorry, I'm being rude again...very unsouthern, Oxfordian of me...to point out...

If you want a dark colored car, and/or dark interior, you have to live with the additional heat absorption. There's many ways to compensate for it, or rationalize it away...but it doesn't remove the basic physics of the problem.

So keep writing those checks...cause there's always more money...or go to Oxford...
Jake, I keep thinking I'm getting smarter, then you or toasteroven throw in one of those messages. I swear, I have to read each line four times before I get it. And then???? I still don't get it. *sigh* That wasn't meant as any disrespect towards you, it was directed towards ME. I have become good friends with the Google search engine and the online dictionary lately. ;D

Not that I want to get into this, again, but being a woman as well as having had a few PM's with mykidsmom, I believe all she really wanted was help in deciding what color interior to go with. I don't really think the heated "heat" discussion was really what she was interested in. I could be wrong. If I am, I apologize up front! Bottom line, does it really matter if it gets hot or not?? It's all in what you like. I went with the Dark interior and I live in the Mojave Desert. All I have to say is.... there better not be ANY issues with the air conditioner this summer when we are hitting highs of 110 degrees!! :mad:

;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
KarolsAcadia,
No need to worry about the A/C units in the Lambdas. They are not sheepish in cooling down the interior even after spending a day in the hot sun. I was a little worried that a Charcoal (Carbon Flash) exterior and ebony leather interior would be too difficult to keep cool in while driving from Stockton to San Diego and spending a week in Tucson during the height of summer. Even on the highway to LA and crossing the hills that have signs posted advising to shut off the A/C to avoid overheating, I had no issues with any type of overheating. I was able to maintain highway speed and full A/C and comfort without sacrificing a thing.

I do agree with keeping the decision of color choice to a simple real world experience instead of lobbing science at it. Which experience has proven, does not always ring true. Especially with kids and what the experts claim.
I've had gray and tan interiors and will never go back. Too much cleaning and stress over the stains. :eek:hno: The carpet never seems to be clean enough. It's a sickness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
We have a 2007 Liquid Silver Acadia w/ titanium leather and ebony carpet (which I love w/ this red Hawaii dirt and 2 boys). It doesn't get as hot here as it does in many mainland states, but it does get over 95 in the summers sometimes and it is constantly sunny here, and I have never had a problem w/ the leather being too hot to sit on.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top