GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Clear Bra applied on several cars I have had before. I was wondering if anyone has had it applied to their Acadia. It was recomended to me that I have the entire fron covered, including the headlights. I feel like this will give me added protection since I have to drive on a dirt road for a couple of miles to get to my house.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had one installed, on the painted surfaces of the front bumper, the front approx 14 inches of the fenders and of the hood. I also had them do the forward facing surfaces of both side mirrors.

I did not get the chrome around the grill, headlights or fogs done.

I did some pretty extensive research before I had it applied.

There are at least 3 suppliers of the film itself: 3M, Dupont and Invincishield. All are slightly different, but do basically the same job.

The Clearbra franchises use the Invincishield material, which made somewhere in Massachusetts. My local Clearbra dealer claimed all kinds of wonders about this material. He said they used to use 3M film several years ago, but switched because the Invincishield is easier to install and gives a better end result with less effort and rework on their part.

Clearbra wanted about $900 to apply the coverage I went with. It comes with a lifetime warranty.

I called around and found a local pickup accessory place which uses the same Invincishield material (at least that's his claim). He can't sell it as "Clearbra" because he isn't a franchisee. He sells it as "Invincishield". Same lifetime warranty as the Clearbra place. He made the same comments about it being easier to work with than other films. His is price was about $300.

I went with him, and so far I am pleased with the results. I don't know how much better Clearbra would have done, but I wasn't willing to spend $600 to find out. The real test will be 5 years from now, anyway!

One thing to watch for is yellowing of the film. I guess they all yellow and discolor to some extent. The Clearbra guy said it was only a problem with white cars, and it is completely not noticeable with any other color. My Invincishield warranty states that white cars need to be washed and waxed regularly to prevent yellowing, so there must be some problem. My Acadia is red, so no worries there (I hope).

btw, I had a different local place do the front and hood of a 2002 Subaru WRX 5+ years ago. They used the 3M material. It started to peel and lift off after about 1 month. I returned the car, and they did a complete re-install at their expense. I have no idea what went wrong the first time, but since this re-install I've had zero trouble. I feel like the 3M material gave me very good protection, and I have far fewer rock dings on the front and hood as a result. I've had no further peeling, and no yellowing (which is the other worry with all of these products). This car is a silver color.

I didn't go back to them with the Acadia simply because they are out of business. I would have been just fine with the 3M material this time around, given its good performance on the Subie.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got it on my Acadia

Got the top and bottom kits and the guy did the mirrors and door handles with the scrap pieces. I had the same system on my Mustang and it saved the paint many times. If you're in the Atlanta area I recommend the guys at speedfilm.net

·
Registered
218 Posts
It got the hood, mirrors, door handles, door edge, and bumper done on the Outlook. The guy did a great job no bubbles, creases, you can't even tell it is on there. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
mmmm, applying some plastic adhesive material over car paint effect it not allowing the paint to breathe properly?
Metal/paint expands and contracts more so in the north with our 4 climate changes. Just wondering if anything happens to car paint itself when you seal something over with adhesive plastic film, over time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You ask what will happen in 3 years with the bra on...I ask you what will happen without the clear bra? I've had the clear bra on several cars. I can't tell you about any long term damage as the longest I've had one on is 3 years. However, I do have experience with no clear bra (paint chips and hard to wash). In a perfect world, it would be nice to have protection from the factory. I guarantee you if you line two 4-5 year old cars that were delievered at the same time...one with the clear bra and one without. I'll bet you the one with the bra looks A LOT better than the one without. No paint chips and easier to wash. My Enclave should be at the dealer by Wednesday. The first stop is to have the clear bra applied to the bumper, hood and side mirrors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anybody have pics of the final installation? I've had this done on an Outback (silver) and have been happy with the results. I had the hood, mirrors and side moulding done. I would recommend the side moulding protection to anyone as this place takes hits more than you realize.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I purchased my films from invisible mask and applied them this past weekend. They included a home installation kit since I spent more than $75.00. I purchased the hood, fender, mirror and rear bumper protection. I watched the installation video several times before I began and followed it to the letter. I was extremely unsatisfied with the finished product. They pieces did not fit correctly and I had to reapply them several times to make them stay, some of the edges wouldn't lay down and kept lifting. At the end of the installation, the hood looks decent, although there is a gap of about 1/2" all the way around and I had to remove the fender, mirror and rear bumper because of all the bubbling the appeared after I finished. I will be contacting them this week to see about a resolution. I was nervous about doing it myself, but they touted such sucess with their installation kit. I liked the idea of the protection, just not the end result.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have installed them professionally. They are great on cars other than white and they WILL yellow over time. Some dealers with have a penetration warranty. The company I dealt with had a $1,000 guarantee for 4yrs. Wax and dirt will build up around the edges... Q-tips work great for removing that wax/debris.

The film WILL leave a fine line over time at the edges (you'll notice this when you remove the film and see the lines in bedded into the paints surface. If you remove it later on... you'll have to color sand those lines away.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I already have an appointment to have a complete set of the protective film installed the day after I take delivery. I was quoted a heck of a deal of $400 complete. I think it is well worth the investment to protect your vehicle.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't know where people drive, but my truck is 5 years old and has very few chips in the paint on the front edge of the hood, and it has been on many mountain gravel roads and in Wyoming that uses crushed rock not sand to add traction in the snow . Too me it's not worth the extra money. But to each his own. BTW I thought about it until I saw a white car at work with a 2 year old clear bra on and it was completely yellow(yes it was 3M). Anyway I just don't think they're a necessary accessory.

·
Registered
912 Posts
coloradoGM said:
I don't know where people drive, but my truck is 5 years old and has very few chips in the paint on the front edge of the hood, and it has been on many mountain gravel roads and in Wyoming that uses crushed rock not sand to add traction in the snow . Too me it's not worth the extra money. But to each his own. BTW I thought about it until I saw a white car at work with a 2 year old clear bra on and it was completely yellow(yes it was 3M). Anyway I just don't think they're a necessary accessory.
Me either our Montana minivan after 4 years had all of 2 small stone marks on it it had more scratches by the goot handles from fingets and keys and rings than anything so I have used 3M leading edge tape to protect those areas on the Acadia along with teh black pillars on the doors. We have also used it on the liftgate where our bike rack is going to mount so the hooks and straps will not marr the paint.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ancient thread, but I'm not a fan of duplicates, so...

VentureShield clear bra is going on the new Acadia this week. Front of hood, forward front fenders (just behind headlights), full bumper, headlights, fog lights and side mirrors. Have had this setup on my last two new cars and would not be without it. Found an excellent installer here in SoCal that did my last car six years ago and I'm using them again. Quote for the whole package, including tinting the front row side windows is just over $700.

Tom

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the entire front of my Acadia covered with a plastic film (by 3M), including the chrome, headlamps, and mirror housing: $450, professional installation (work guaranteed for the life of the vehicle; film guaranteed against yellowing or damaging to the paint for the life of the vehicle). Because of the curved headlamps, one of the films came loose and had to be replaced (no charge). The protective plastic film works outstandingly against rock chips (rocks are routinely strewn over the roads during winters in this northern region). There are many chips in the paint on the side of my Acadia where there is no plastic protective film. Ice can be scraped from the headlamps without damage to the lenses. Work great, looks great, and is nearly invisible! 8)

Check out the photos ... notice the plastic protective film?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Yep I see the line right there :poke:

Just kidding; looks great and I can't tell it's even there

·
Registered
786 Posts
If not done properly I hear they can retain moisture... Also when you wax the vehicle they show lines.... never had the film, but have seen some crappy covers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Ventureshield bra went on yesterday...wow! This installer is good. From more than about two feet away you have to look for the line, and the gloss is superb. These materials have come a long way even in the few years since my last car was done. Paid a bit extra for the wrapped edges option on the hood and fender corners, plus had them do the door handle cups. In addition, the hood material is cut in what they called a "bikini cut" which introduces a slight forward curve to the edge crossing the hood. Also had the front side windows tinted just a touch lighter than the rears.

If you're in the SoCal area and need a good installer, call Mel at Paradise Tinting in Long Beach.

Tom

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've known a ton of folks that used clearbra on their S4s back in 02 when I had mine. My concern then, as now, is that what happens in three years when my lease is up and they remove it, and the paint is faded more on the rest of the car than under the clearbra, and they want me to repaint the vehicle? I do wax and garage my car, but still, I do think some minute fading can occur over time and that the clearbra's UV protection will cause you to have a two tone car, unintentionally...that is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ted K said:
My concern then, as now, is that what happens in three years when my lease is up and they remove it, and the paint is faded more on the rest of the car than under the clearbra, and they want me to repaint the vehicle?
I've always thought of a Clear Bra as a protection for a long-term investment. What's the point of installing it on a lease vehicle? Just curious. Not that I would ever abuse a car, but I do tend to think of a lease the same way I would think of a rental (i.e. drive it the way I like to drive, not the way that's good for the car...) >:D

Then again, the only lease I've had, we bought at the end of the lease, so I guess that could be a reason...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts