GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The aux input for an MP3 player (iPod Nano 2nd Generation in my case) works great for me. (The PAL, while very cool, doesn't even COME CLOSE to being worth $160 to me.)

Has anyone done anything cool to mount their iPod to conveniently use the aux input? Maybe it's mounting inside the console and running the wire to the radio. Or putting some sort of bracket close to the radio?

I guess the absolute ideal would be some sort of "docking station" that had a regular iPod connector for power and a headphone connector. But I'm willing to live with no power being supplied to the Nano while in the car. It takes sufficiently small amount of power I can handle charging when it's out of the car.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A while back someone posted a link to a website where they sell proclips, I found it pretty interesting. You should google it and see if they have anything you might be interested in. Good luck and happy hunting!

You got the PAL? will it work with other MP3 playing devices or is it primarily for ipods? I have a PDA/phone that plays MP3's and was just wondering if it would work with the PAL?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have the PAL. From my reading around here the PAL is for iPod only - it uses the iPod specific connector that does all sorts of things: power, control, etc.

I'm using the Auxillary input jack that can be found on the 6-CD changer. There is a little hole on the right side of the face. You can plug one end of a (cord you have to buy) into that hole, the other end into the headphone jack of any audio device, and play that audio through the stereo. I'm currently connecting my Nano this way. Just for fun my 12 year old plugged his Nintendo DS into it and I had the pleasure (;-)) of listening to DS video game sounds through a Bose sound system - not my idea of fun.

The PAL isn't worth it to me. $160 to control it through the radio is too much - when the headphone jack and AUX input seem just fine.

Jim

·
Registered
183 Posts
Does anyone have the PAL ? I looked around for that earlier this year, after seeing a 'press release' and some marketing literature for it. Shortly afterwards, I found out that GM had 'suspended' it, reasons unknown.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's worth mentioning that the other nice feature about the PAL (besides controlling it through your stereo and therefore steering wheel controls...too cool) is that it will be a true "line in" connection, with better sound quality than through the AUX input. For instance, you have to usually turn the audio device's volume up pretty high and turn your car stereo's volume up pretty high in order to get a decent volume setting (if you like to rock out, that is) when using the AUX input. And if you forget about the volume setting when de-selecting the AUX source, you get an alarming blast of whatever was on the radio at the time as the stereo returns to a "normal" source of audio.

With the PAL, it doesn't matter what volume setting is on your device.

May not be a big deal depending on how you use your stereo, but wanted to point it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
JonTon said:
It's worth mentioning that the other nice feature about the PAL (besides controlling it through your stereo and therefore steering wheel controls...too cool) is that it will be a true "line in" connection, with better sound quality than through the AUX input.

Given the inherently inferior sound quality of the MP3 format, I'm considering the PAL. Does anyone have it, and is there any installation involved? I assume it also charges the player. Does one need a NAV system to utilize it? From the brochure accessories photo, it looks like the ipod can then be stored in the top dash compartment.
Thanks,

Mark ???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the PAL a dealer add on? Or can anyone basically install it? I am getting an Acadia in a couple of days, but was unable to locate one in any dealer's stock here in Central indiana.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I spoke with a guy at my dealer's Parts dept.--he knew nothing about the PAL.

Anyone else have any news on its availability?

·
Registered
19 Posts
When we bought our Acadia I found one online at a dealership in Atlanta. It had everything we wanted except for XM Radio. My wife has an iPod and we have bought every FM transmitter, charger and plug known to exist to make it easier to listen to her iPod. The funny thing is she has a habit of falling asleep while I drive and I get stuck trying to change the song on the iPod, which is not easy while you're trying to drive. I started looking for something before I read about the PAL. I wanted to add an in-line XM Radio and iPod connector that was controlled by the radio controls. I searched eBay and found a company called Integration Solutions. They make vehicle specific connectors for all makes of vehicles that have text display. I ordered it as a Christmas present for my wife and installed it myself. It works great! It plugs up in between the factory harness and the radio. The dash panel is easy to remove and the radio itself is held in by four screws. Just make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable before removing the harness from the back of the radio. I enlarged the hole where the dash bin latches (to get the cable through) and ran the cable for the iPod there. You just connect the iPod and it displays on the radio. It's great! It is an investment but I think it is well worth it. Anything to please the wife. ;D

eBay Search: Acadia XM iPod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's a response from GM posted on the Enclave forum, which means the PAL might be a ways off:

Sent: December 14, 2007 10:28 AM
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Personal Audio Link Update for Enclave, Acadia & Outlook

Thank you for inquiring about the Personal Audio Link (PAL) iPod interface for your GM crossover vehicle. We regret to inform you that the release of the PAL for Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook has been further delayed due to unforeseen circumstances. Unfortunately, a revised target date is not available at this time.

We have released the PAL for Chevy HHR & Cobalt, Pontiac G5 & Solstice and Saturn SKY (all one part number); however, this is not a "one size fits all" product. GM has three distinct serial data communication protocols and multiple radio options, and the PAL must be developed, tested and validated for each combination in order to achieve the highly integrated product our customers demand.

Although we are unable to provide specific timing for any future PAL vehicle applications, I can assure you that our engineers are diligently working to release it for the crossover vehicles just as soon as they possibly can.

All Buick, GMC and Saturn dealers will be notified when the crossover PAL is ready for sale.

Your continued patience is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Joyce Henk
GM Accessories Marketing

·
Registered
681 Posts
I too asked the part department at my dealer and they had no idea what I was talking about, showed them the 2008 manual which states it would be available November 2007, he did some searching and came up with nothing but the cable to connect any mp3 palyer to the aux jack. I guess the above explains why there is nothing in the system. I wish they would get on this and make one soon. :banghead:

·
Registered
3 Posts
gmloyalist said:
I do not have the PAL. From my reading around here the PAL is for iPod only - it uses the iPod specific connector that does all sorts of things: power, control, etc.

I'm using the Auxillary input jack that can be found on the 6-CD changer. There is a little hole on the right side of the face. You can plug one end of a (cord you have to buy) into that hole, the other end into the headphone jack of any audio device, and play that audio through the stereo. I'm currently connecting my Nano this way. Just for fun my 12 year old plugged his Nintendo DS into it and I had the pleasure (;-)) of listening to DS video game sounds through a Bose sound system - not my idea of fun.

The PAL isn't worth it to me. $160 to control it through the radio is too much - when the headphone jack and AUX input seem just fine.

Jim
Go to www.proclipusa.com. For a GPS bracket add parts from: www.ram-mount.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts