GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously one can connect their iPod through the AUX input in front of the stereo. Isn't there a way to connect and dock with the iPod base so that the Acadia stereo controls can navigate music versus fiddling with the iPod? If GM isn't going this route, they are missing out! Anyone have info on full integration?

NOTE TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS: I changed my forum name from "readyforacadia" to "Acadia4VA-WV" since I'm now an owner. Just didn't seem right to keep the expectant name.[/color] ;D

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I believe I read elsewhere that GM will have this available as a dealer-installed option called "Personal Audio Link" later this year. I think the ipod will be docked in the glove box. Can anyone else confirm this?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's what the Chevrolet HHR accessories page says --
"Personal Audio Link (PAL)
The Personal Audio Link (PAL), soon to be available on select models from Chevy Accessories, turns up the volume on vehicle personalization by bringing your Apple® iPod®(1) and your vehicle audio system together.(2) Hidden within the auxiliary glove box, this cool connection lets you utilize the factory radio controls to navigate your personal music library. As an added benefit, the iPod charges while it’s connected and the ignition is on.
Footnotes: iPod is a mobile digital device. iPod is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. All rights reserved.
(1) Not compatible with iPod Shuffle; may not be compatible with some older iPod models.
(2) Personal Audio Link not available with base audio system on HHR LS."

So, additional questions...
What level/model/generation iPod must one own to work with the PAL?
With which Acadia stereos will it work? I wonder if NAV + Bose only? Or, only with stereos on vehicles manufactured after they introduce the PAL on the Acadia?

I'll be asking the dealer this question where I'm contemplating ordering an Acadia....

If anyone gets the answer before I do, please post.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with the GMC dealership and they stated that the GM PAL is available from dealer's parts department and does work with the Acadia. The best interface is with the nav system.

I'm planning to get more info from the parts department.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was just checking the GMC website and happened to notice under "accessories" one of the choices described now is the Personal Audio Link.

Stopped by the GMC dealer in Moorefield, WV, yesterday and the parts manager couldn't find anything....

·
Registered
231 Posts
readyforacadia -

Can you post the GM part # for the PAL? I called my local dealership, and all he could find were some pages describing how to use it - but nothing about how to install or buy it. Both he and one other person were under the assumption that it just plugged into the RCA style connector on the front of the stereo head.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My local parts guy called some people at GM, and according to them, this kit is only available on the HHR and Cobalt. I guess the fact that it's listed on the GMC site as an accessory for the Acadia doesn't matter (or, more likely, that one side of GM does not talk to the other).

I'll keep digging....

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
JohnFitz said:
readyforacadia -

Both he and one other person were under the assumption that it just plugged into the RCA style connector on the front of the stereo head.
The PAL is a dealer-installed option that plugs into the back of the stereo. It has a cable that extends into the glove box (or the dash-top storage compartment) to plug into an iPod. That way, the iPod remains out of site. You then control the iPod using the stereo controls. The PAL cable also charges the iPod.

Kelly

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks Kelly!

I think we're all on-board with that....now we just need to have the GM parts people to learn it too!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've called GM and asked at one dealer and neither could find the PAL item or part number for the Acadia or even the HHR. The PAL is featured even more visibly on the HHR pages. Go figure.

I keep thinking about calling the parts department either before they open, or after they close. Hopefully, I can get info this week. Not that it would make me not buy an Acadia...it would just make it sweeter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I found this on a Pontiac Solstice forum....

GM ran into issues with the first release for the Chevrolet HHR PAL package.

Here is the message from Janaury 29th:

Effective immediately, GM Accessories has issued a stop sell for the HHR Accessories Personal Audio Link (P/N 17803007). An issue has been identified with the microprocessor chip, resulting in an operating issue with this product.

Engineering is currently validating a change to the microprocessor and a new kit is expected to be available in early-to-mid February 2007. Communications will be issued once the revised product (under a new P/N) becomes ready for sale.

No other information about how this will effect the relace cadence that was planned.

There was also a link to another product that's equivalent, although more pricey....

http://www.smartpark.net/iPod_iConnect.html

I

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I didn't see any pricing.

Do you know the cost?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I believe it was in the vicinity of $250, but it also says that it's only sold to new car dealers...not sure why that is. I'd have to convince my local dealer to order it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No wonder I can't get any info from GM or dealer parts department.

Interesting, on our VW and Audi, we use a 3rd party product called, ice>Link, from www.dension.com. Now a few years old, they've stopped selling directly in the US. Worked fantastic! Just took the place of the 6-CD changer.

Thanks for info on Smart Park's iConnect for the iPod. I just called and they said that they had to call me back and send me email about it. Interesting that one can only go through dealers, but sounds like this does the trick. Didn't sound to me that it had to be through a "new car" dealer, but perhaps through car audio systems dealers. $250 isn't bad since the Dension ice>Link 2-3 years ago was about $199 plus about $50 install at BestBuy. This product appears to have more features to truly FULLY integrate with the GMC NAV system.

When I get email from them or the call back, I'll post to the forum.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great! It never dawned on me to just call or email and ask.

Can't wait to see the info.

·
Registered
231 Posts
the more I read about iConnect, the more I'm wondering if this unit is simply being OEM'd (maybe with minor mods) by GM, and sold under the name 'PAL'. The similarities are numerous -
  • In multiple postings, both PAL and iConnect are stated to be 'the size of a pack of cigarettes'.
  • Both units plug into the XM connection on the Radio
  • Both units had 'problems' at almost the same time - PAL was pulled back because of a 'microprocessor issue', and according to a Corvette forum, iConnect had problems in that it would drain the car battery (solved with a firmware fix).
I wonder if Apple, iConnect, and Smart Park are just looking at the issue of GM 'undercutting' it's partners by pricing their PAL lower than iConnect.

There is at least one dealer out there (Landmark Chevrolet, in Houston TX) that is advertising the iConnect on their website -

http://www.landmarkchevrolet.com/site/custom.aspx?content=iconnect&context=parts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I received a phone call from Smart Park this afternoon following my phone and email inquiry. The man who called me back was one of the firm's partners and creator/developer of iConnect. Smart Park is an American company, but the product is made in Australia. The man who called me couldn't have been nicer or more informative. He really took time to answer my questions and followed up with an email that contained additional information and feedback about iConnect from customers.

First--I was informed that in no way is iConnect the same product as the GM PAL. Yes, Smart Park bid on the job with GM, but did not get the contract. As to how similar they are, we may never know as I will likely have my iConnect in use for months and months before, and if, the PAL becomes available.

Second--Yes, one needs to work through an authorized dealer of iConnect, and likely through your or another affiliated auto dealership.

Third--iConnect is fully compatible with the Acadia stereos, but the XM option must be on the vehicle.

I will post more info after I get my Acadia on Friday and the experience (installation and price) and performance of iConnect.

Note: I also called Landmark Chevrolet in Houston. They charge $499 for iConnect and installation.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just emailed them to see if there is a dealer in WA state, this looks like the way to go, I plugged my ipod into the AUX jack this weekend and you have to have the Ipod cranked and the stereo volume up very high also which distorts the sound.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts