GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 Acadia...I've gone through this entire forum and am completely confused, this product, that product. So could someone just lay it out for me without saying do a search or look at this link PLEASE. I'm not very technically savoy...LOL Our state is getting close to require bluetooth for talking on cellphones. I hate the dang ear pieces.

So, what do I need to do to get:
1) bluetooth in my 08 Acadia (utilize my iPhone)
AND
2) integrate it so I utilize the OnStar speakers
AND
2) integrate the iPod on the iPhone to run through the radio

Please help me

Thanks

PS: I do NOT have a Nav system

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
apples said:
I have an 08 Acadia...I've gone through this entire forum and am completely confused, this product, that product. So could someone just lay it out for me without saying do a search or look at this link PLEASE. I'm not very technically savvy[/color]...LOL Our state is getting close to require bluetooth for talking on cellphones. I hate the dang ear pieces.

So, what do I need to do to get:
1) bluetooth in my 08 Acadia (utilize my iPhone)
AND
2) integrate it so I utilize the OnStar speakers
AND
2) integrate the iPod on the iPhone to run through the radio

Please help me

Thanks

PS: I do NOT have a Nav system
By your own statement, this may be an uphill battle, but here goes:

To add Bluetooth to the 2008 radio system, I'd look at Coastal Tech (CT):
GMC Applications

Look for it at the bottom of the page. It's $129.00. On the same page, there is an ipod interface. It is known to work with the 2008 Acadia. I'm not that iphone savvy, although if the ipod function can work via Bluetooth, you should be good to go. If it works via the regular ipod connector, you'd need the CT adapter.

The problem is, it does not show what you get. It says it includes all cables and an "OnStar lockpick", which is an interface box. I tend to think it is a wiring harness and you still need a Bluetooth "car kit" of some sort to receive the signal from your phone. If this box installs in the rear of the vehicle by the XM module, I've done this on ours with a Scosche unit. It is a difficult thing to do and may require some semi-special tools such as small needle nose pliers. See my summary for more thoughts on this.

I did a quick look on ebay for "iphone Bluetooth car kit" and found a bunch of listings. Prices were all over the place, but a median seemed to be around $40-50 or so when I thinned them out by price. I do not place ebay links here since they are invalid after 90 days and often don't paste correctly. You can find the same info by using the indicated keywords.

Looks like you can use the car kit as a standalone device, or if you wish to integrate as indicated in your post, you'd have to interface the car kit with the Coastal Tech device(s).

In summary, I'd suggest giving Coastal Tech or a local installer (car audio place) a call. This task can be complex, and it may be better to pay a little more to get it done locally by a place that will stand behind the job.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you're help! I really want to utilize the onstar speakers...I'll check around locally like you suggested. One thing I'm scared about is voiding any part of my warranty :(

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
apples said:
Thanks for you're help! I really want to utilize the onstar speakers[/color]...I'll check around locally like you suggested. One thing I'm scared about is voiding any part of my warranty :(

Thanks again
I'm a little unclear about onstar speakers; does Onstar audio come through different speakers than the vehicles speakers?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
jsimms said:
I'm a little unclear about onstar speakers; does Onstar audio come through different speakers than the vehicles speakers?
Didn't know there were any others.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
jsimms said:
Onstar uses the regular stereo speakers. I suspect what the OP really wants is to use the Onstar microphone. Most bluetooth kits will probably integrate to use the stereo speakers - the microphone is another matter. Aftermarket kits have their own mic that you have to locate somewhere.

The best solution would be to retrofit the OP's '08 vehicle with '09 factory bluetooth capabilities. This would be accomplished by swapping out the Onstar box and likely having the dealer flash the computer to recognize the new box. From other posts, it appears this is possible, but to my knowledge nobody has tried it on a Lambda yet.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I will be speaking with the Service Manger where I bought my Acadia tomorrow about this. His assisitant said TODAY; his boss was talking to another Acadia owner about bluetooth today Today. It might depend on when your Acadia was built in 2008. If it can be done I will be leaving my Acadia with him and driving away in the Jeep (in for service)!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
mborden said:
I will be speaking with the Service Manger where I bought my Acadia tomorrow about this. His assisitant said TODAY; his boss was talking to another Acadia owner about bluetooth today Today. It might depend on when your Acadia was built in 2008. If it can be done I will be leaving my Acadia with him and driving away in the Jeep (in for service)!
Keep us posted and let us know as much detail as possible as to what the dealership has to do to make it happen. All we need is one success story and I think many of us will be jumping in.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Hopefully I can post goodnews tomorrow night!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
And the saga continues! I was picking up the Jeep and personaly saw the service manager and his second in command, they both knew exactly what I was talking about, "BUT" the Service Manager is going to talk to his contact at ONSTAR tomorrow and then call me. Until tomorrow :banghead:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
No Bluetooth for me :mad: , the service manager finally called back and told me no on the bluetooth. But he did say two things. #1 if your Acadia has a build code of UPF in it you can get the module :banghead: #2 he said Onstar is considering a module that will work but the availability is unknown. He said he will keep me posted.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
That's helpful. ::) I looked at the 2009 ordering guide (don't have the 2008 version) and it says this about UPF:
NEW! Bluetooth for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system and HMI (Human Machine Interface)
1 - Included and only available with (PCM) Preferred Package. Requires (UE1) OnStar.

The 1 relates to a required package on the SLE.

This is the same as a bank saying you must have $100,000 in the bank for a $50,000 loan- if you already have it, you don't need it. If you have UPF, you have Bluetooth, since that is the option code for it. :)

If I can find a 2008 ordering guide maybe it says something different, but generally when you see NEW! in the guide, it was not offered the prior year.

EDIT
GM still has the 2008 guide online, updated 1-2-09. There is no mention of UPF or Bluetooth in it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would think that in addition to the 2009 OnStar module you would also need a 2009 radio. Or, at least be able to upgrade the radio to the 2009 softare.

The 07-08 nav/radio and the 09 nav/radio are on two different software version tracks.

My 08 nav/radio knows that when I push the talk button and say OnStar, it knows to transfer subsequent control to the OnStar module. There has to be a bit of code in the radio to do the same for bluetooth.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Tim said:
I would think that in addition to the 2009 OnStar module you would also need a 2009 radio. Or, at least be able to upgrade the radio to the 2009 softare.

The 07-08 nav/radio and the 09 nav/radio are on two different software version tracks.

My 08 nav/radio knows that when I push the talk button and say OnStar, it knows to transfer subsequent control to the OnStar module. There has to be a bit of code in the radio to do the same for bluetooth.
Not sure about that. The Onstar module seems to control the voice recognition functionality. When I added the factory nav to my '08, the voice recognition for the nav radio didn't work until I connected two wires to the Onstar box.

·
Registered
154 Posts
loach said:
Not sure about that. The Onstar module seems to control the voice recognition functionality. When I added the factory nav to my '08, the voice recognition for the nav radio didn't work until I connected two wires to the Onstar box.
You’re probably right. The schematic on alldatadiy shows the microphone connecting to the OnStar module and then leaving the OnStar module and going to the Radio. There is another set of wires going between the OnStar module and the Radio too. And since both are connected to the data bus, it’s hard to know who is doing what or to whom. I don’t understand all the schematic symbols on alldatadiy yet, but it looks like the two wire sets might be shielded twisted pairs indicating they carry analog signals.

I'm thinking the OnStar module and the Nav/Radio may both do their own voice recognition because the OnStar voice prompts and the Nav/Radio voice prompts are not the same voice. This might explain why some of the ’09 owners commented that voice commands for the Nav/Radio didn’t work. I assume they worked for OnStar. If that’s the case, then that would support the notion that they both do their own voice recognition.

Anyway, back to the topic of this post. Loach, I retract my prior post and agree that the Nav/Radio is probably not in the loop for any Bluetooth functionality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts