GMC Acadia Forum banner

Are you bothered by glare coming from bright surfaces inside your Acadia?

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not much (a little bit)

• yes

• it's hazordous

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several long driving days in the southwest, I have concluded that the Acadia is unsatisfactory in the glare department. On sunny days, (that's all we had) the glare was almost constant. The most offending surfaces were the frames around the air vents. The vent frames' rounded design and placement on the dash plus the angle of the side windows gives tall drivers a steady dose of glare any time the sun strikes them. If the design goal was to blind drivers 6'2" and above, this is a winner. :help:

The most startling (strongest) glare came from the trim around the shift lever. However, this glare didn't happen very often, perhaps that could be corrected with more rounding. ;) Also got an occasional flash from the door latch levers.

I finally condluded that there are NO shiney surfaces that didn't transmit distracting glare at one time or another. This includes the bezels around the gages/cup-holders, deviders on the instrument panenel and the shiney piece in the middle of the button for the dash compartment.

I suppose things could be worse, they could have used chrome in stead of the pewter for the frame around the instrument pannel. Speaking of which one reprot said high-quality low gloss materials were used. And thank heavans they didn't use shiney windshield wiper arms.

·
Registered
212 Posts
And if they used low gloss materials, we'd be talking about the poor quality and material selection.

I agree there is a glare at certain angles. But it wasn't so much more then my previous vehicles which also had shiney trim.

What they should have done is have a selection of trim so buyers can pick and choose.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Rufio said:
And if they used low gloss materials, we'd be talking about the poor quality and material selection.
Nicely said!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
It bothered me more at first. I think you get used to it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only problem with glare that I encounter on very bright and sunny days is from the reflection of the left air vent on the drivers window, it reflects the chrome trim in the driver's side view mirror and literally blinds me for a second or two.
Its a safety issue, and even the darkest pair of sunglasses doesnt help stop this annoyance.

At least it takes my mind off the lazy transmission for about one second.

;D

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I experience the glare now and then. Mostly from the trim around the shifter and a little bit from the air vents. It can be momentarily blinding, but it's nothing I can't live with.

(on a sunglasses note, we bought a pair of polarized sunglasses this weekend. when wearing them and looking at the front side windows, they look blotchy/foggy. very weird)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Web Raven said:
(on a sunglasses note, we bought a pair of polarized sunglasses this weekend. when wearing them and looking at the front side windows, they look blotchy/foggy. very weird)
I think that the windshields have polorization in them and this causes that effect when looking through double polorization:

When Polarized Lenses May Pose a Problem

For certain activities, polarized lenses are not the best choice:

Skiing in icy conditions - Patches of ice will reflect more light than snow. Wearing polarized lenses can make icy patches more difficult to see.

If your car windshield is polarized - The windows of some automobiles are partially polarized. Wearing polarized sunglasses may make an interference pattern of light and dark spots visible in the windshield.

Viewing liquid crystal displays (LCDs) - Polarized lenses can make the liquid crystal displays of certain objects - like ATM machines - more difficult to read.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not believe that any car windshield is polarized as that would represent a driving hazard, as you mention.

·
Registered
681 Posts
kjnorman said:
I do not believe that any car windshield is polarized as that would represent a driving hazard, as you mention.
I do not beleive they are polorized like sunglasses are but I have read somewhere about a Solar Polorization that is built into some automotive glass. When I wear my polorized sunglasses in the Acadia to do see a checkered pattern in the glass but I do not know if they have any type of polorization in these windows, maybe one of GM insiders could answer this. ???

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
The windshield itself didn't look all spotty. It was the driver's side and passenger side windows that were all spotty when wearing the polarized glasses. (also the rear side windows as well).

·
Registered
322 Posts
We have the glare, but we quickly learned to look over it and not pay attention to it..

Adam

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not crazy about the glare on really sunny days. I'm wondering if there could be some type of "film" that could be put over the bright shiny stuff to tone it down some? Any ideas ?????

·
Registered
730 Posts
tint the shiny chrome trims? lol

edited: spelling

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes, there is glare. Do I wish there was less chrome and more of the brushed finish, yes. Does it bother me? No. Polarized sunglasses take care of it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Web Raven said:
The windshield itself didn't look all spotty. It was the driver's side and passenger side windows that were all spotty when wearing the polarized glasses. (also the rear side windows as well).
I don't believe any of the glass itself is polarized, I believe it's the film used to tint the windows. I have no problem with the windshield I just see the blotchy spots on the windows when I where my colorized sunglasses.

Ryan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Yes, there is glare. Do I wish there was less chrome and more of the brushed finish, yes. Does it bother me? No. Polarized sunglasses take care of it.
Maybe it's just me, but why should the driver have to resort to wearing sunglasses for glare INSIDE the vehicle? :confused: I think this is a safety issue that the factory should address ... :help:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't own my acadia yet, but it was suggested that we could take the chrome vent surrounds and paint them (perhaps the same exterior color as the car itself) and then clear coat it for durability. Interesting thought... that would probably reduce glare and the right color could look really cocky... of course for balance you may want to do all 5 vents in the front so they match.

just a thought

Heather

1 - 19 of 19 Posts