GMC Acadia Forum banner

Are you experiencing this issue with your Acadia?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• N/A

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HUD works great most of the time. It works "as advertised"---I'd say 60% of the time. It displays exactly what the documentation says it will---speed, temp, gear, etc., and also NAV information and radio information coming from the NAV radio. When there is a NAV maneuver coming up, it displays the maneuver and provides the "distance" until the maneuver. When XM radio changes tunes, it displays the new song title. When on AM or FM, is shows the station number. In summary, it works just fine.

BUT..................

Sometimes it doesn't work. The info from the "dash" (speed, temp, etc.) works fine all the time. But the info from the radio sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it does and when it doesn't. I (and others with the same problem) have checked all options and that isn't the problem. My local dealer has witnessed it and has a "case" open with GM trying to understand and find the fix.

If you have the problem, chime in here. When someone gets it fixed, let us know. If GM is reading this, let's help them understand the problem.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: Intermittent HUD display (NAV/radio info intermittently working)

What model radio do you have?
Do you have XM as well?

I've got NAV on mine. What I've noticed on the HUD (in 4 days) is that the XM tags that appear below the "category" button on the NAV screen display on the HUD, but for most FM stations, it appears above the "category" button in cycle with the station call letters and style of music/talk. So, I get more info and greater frequency of info on the HUD from XM stations vs. FM.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

readyforacadia said:
What model radio do you have?
Do you have XM as well?

I've got NAV on mine. What I've noticed on the HUD (in 4 days) is that the XM tags that appear below the "category" button on the NAV screen display on the HUD, but for most FM stations, it appears above the "category" button in cycle with the station call letters and style of music/talk. So, I get more info and greater frequency of info on the HUD from XM stations vs. FM.
Yes, I have NAV radio and XM. And it works just as advertised sometimes and not at other times. It is an all or nothing thing. For example, when it works as advertised, the HUD will display Nav info (when you have a destination working) and radio info; when it is NOT working, you get neither on the HUD. And yes, more info with XM. AM/FM only displays station info on HUD, unless FM station is RDS.

Problem is not how much it displays, rather, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't at all.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Dealer "Service Director" called this afternoon. He had been on phone with GM engineer regarding this problem. He asked me to remove the DVD from the NAV radio, inspect for fingerprints/smudges and clean.

Did that and reported same back to dealer. He asked me to report back to him results over the next few days and that the above "may" fix the problem.

Drove to store 30 minutes later------HUD NOT working correctly with NAV &/or radio info. So the above didn't work.

In store 30 minutes, on drive home all working correctly!

Darn these intermittent problems. I've already reported results back to dealer.

The good news is that GM seems to be on it and communicating to me. They are aware of this site and that others are having the problem.

Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Naplesam - I'm having the same issue with mine. I *thought* it was not working last weekend, but didn't pay much attention....then when I paid attention it was working. Both NAV and Audio info was displayed properly on the HUD last night on my drive home.

This morning, neither info was displayed. UGH. I turned the car off/on multiple times, turned to radio off, turned off the HUD, etc etc etc. Still, no dice. i could not get either NAV or audio info to display on the HUD.

Is there any sort of tracking number you were given, that I can use when I talk to my service manager?

·
Registered
38 Posts

I’m having the exact same problem as described. When it works, everything works fine. But when it doesn’t, I don’t get the audio updates (song & station) and I don’t see the navigation info (Directional arrow & distance to turn). All other HUD functionality seems to operate fine at all times (speed, turn signals, etc.)

I’ve had the vehicle about a little over a month, and have about 1500 miles on it. The problem occurred as often as 40% of the time the first two weeks I had the car. Since then, the problem continues to occur, but at a much less frequency. I only see it failing around 10%-20% of the time now.

I haven’t made any changes that would lead me to explain the reduction in %.

The problem seems to occur at random and under no particular scenario nor pattern.

Sometimes the problem begins when the car is turned on, other times it works fine for X minutes while the car is running, then the problem begins happening.

It seems the most reliable way to get it to work again it to turn off the car and start it again. Turning off and on the radio doesn’t seem to have an effect.

Interestingly enough, I got a call yesterday from GM, doing a survey on how the car is performing and if there are any problems I have noticed. I mentioned this issue to them and they appeared to actually care. The woman wanted to be sure she captured the issue correctly and repeated it several times. She also asked if there were any patterns or steps to make it happen, and if I have found a way to get it turn back on. She also read through a checklist of other items asking if I have had any problems: such as liftgate operation, transmission or engine issues, body panel fit, electrical/radio problems, material defects, etc.

She asked if I could be contacted by a GM engineer regarding the problem.

Here’s to hoping someone calls!

--- SLT 2, all options except Engine Block Heater ---

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

JohnFitz said:
Is there any sort of tracking number you were given, that I can use when I talk to my service manager?
No, I was not given a tracking number.

Also, from the above posts, it looks to me as if we are all having the EXACT same symptoms. There just isn't any pattern to it at all. I am going to start a "log" of trips/vehicle turned on to see if there is a pattern. Maybe writing it down will help uncover a pattern. It also appears to me that turning the radio on/off has no effect. Only turning the engine on and off seems to work sometimes, but not all the time. When mine is working properly, I have never had it stop working while I was driving---only upon starting it up.

·
Registered
261 Posts

I haven't had a problem with mine yet. Have almost 1,000 miles on it. It might be worthwhile to compare dates that the Acadia was built.
Mine is at the dealership right now but I believe it was around Dec 12. I have to double check when I get it back sometime today.

·
Registered
183 Posts

luvmyacadia said:
I haven't had a problem with mine yet. Have almost 1,000 miles on it. It might be worthwhile to compare dates that the Acadia was built.
Mine is at the dealership right now but I believe it was around Dec 12. I have to double check when I get it back sometime today.
Mine was built in January (1/07 on the sticker).

·
Registered
9 Posts

I have a HUD on my SLT-1, but no DVD/Nav system. I have run a CD-R through the CD player containing MP3 files. The song titles are displayed correctly both on the in-dash display and in the HUD. (Same for radio station info). So far no problems on my end. (but of course no Nav system).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

luvmyacadia said:
It might be worthwhile to compare dates that the Acadia was built.
Mine built 01/07

·
Registered
492 Posts

Mine did it this morning & I got it back working.

I went to the bank drive through. I shut the Acadia off & turned to a FM station. I restarted & turned it back to XM & still no radio info displayed.

FIX=working again
I went a few feet, stopped & shut the car off, opened the door to turn the radio off, & restarted. I did this twice & the 2nd time it started working again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I wouldn't call that a "fix"; maybe a "workaround".

I went out this morning with 2 stops: from home to first stop = worked fine; from first stop to second stop = not working; from second stop back home = worked fine!

I am keeping a log and while the experience of this morning might cause one to say it is every other time, I have had other times when it was not such a pattern. There just does't seem to be any pattern at all. >:D

·
Registered
492 Posts

Naplesam said:
I wouldn't call that a "fix"; maybe a "workaround".

I went out this morning with 2 stops: from home to first stop = worked fine; from first stop to second stop = not working; from second stop back home = worked fine!

I am keeping a log and while the experience of this morning might cause one to say it is every other time, I have had other times when it was not such a pattern. There just does't seem to be any pattern at all. >:D
You are correct not a fix but a workaround.

It did it again today and on the 2nd restart it started working again.

·
Registered
118 Posts

i've had mine less than a week and used the nav about 4 times. the turn directions and distance showed on the hud everytime but once.

i'm not sure if this had anything to do with it, but the one time it did not work was when i used the cursor to mark a location. the other times, i used addresses that had been entered in the address book. the nav system still gave me the proper directions to the marked location, but no nav info displayed on the hud.

i'll keep an eye out for this in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
183 Posts

It had been working since my last post, but then this morning - nothing. No radio information, or NAV info.

The one common thing I can think of is that both times, it was very cold out (low 20's). I'll see if it works tonight when I leave work.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Can someone try this!

I’ve come across an observation that may or may not be a coincidence. I’d appreciate it if you could try the same and let me know of your results.

The HUD has three display modes:
1) Speed, Temp, Gear
2) Just Speed
3) Speed, Tachometer, Gear

When I first got my Acadia (a little over a month ago) I set the HUD to option 1 (Speed, Temp, Gear). I noticed that the problem we have all described occurred often. Even my wife, who I did not mention the problem too, asked me why the information isn’t displayed sometimes.

I drove with this setting for about 2-3 weeks, noticing the problem pretty much every day.

Then, in an attempt to watch my RPMs in figuring out why the transmission is so [email protected] sluggish, I changed my HUD to option 3 (Speed, Tachometer, Gear). I left it on this setting for the next 1-2 weeks. During this time I sort of forgot about the HUD problem and for the life of me I can’t remember seeing it happen during this time. (And if it did, it was so infrequent I don’t remember it).

It wasn’t until I read this post that I remembered having those HUD problems. To make sure I hadn’t just mentally ignored it, I paid close attention to the HUD and changed channels and routed navs more than usual. I did this for a day or two and didn’t have any problems.

For the heck of it I switched the HUD back to option 1 (Speed, Temp, Gear). Next time I started the car the PROBLEM OCCURRED! It’s been 3 days since I have left it on Option 1 and it has happened everyday about 50% of my drives.

Is this a coincidence? Or is this a step forward in figuring it out? I wonder if those that say they never have the problem have the HUD on Option 3, and those of us who do, have it on Option 1?

Those who are having problems… try switching the HUD to option 3 (Speed, Tachometer, Gear) for a few days. I’d be interested in hearing your results. Does it occur less, not at all, more, or about the same?

·
Registered
183 Posts

Very interesting. I usually keep mine on #3, but I'll try leaving it on a different option for a few days, and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I have left mine in mode #1 all the time. However, when I first experienced this problem, I did switch it between all three options and it made no difference. I will change to a new option and continue my log (see below).

I live in SW Fla----no cold weather here!-----probably not below 45 since I got the Acadia, so I don't think that is the problem.

I am keeping a "log" and noting on each trip (actually each on/off event) of the problem----just no ryhme or reason that I can see.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Left home this morning----HUD working just fine. Switched among the various HUD "modes" and it continued to work. All as advertised. I left it in "mode 3".

Started car this PM to head home----HUD NOT working in "mode 3". Switched among the various modes again---HUD did not work correctly in any mode.

Therefore, I don't think the mode on the HUD makes a bit of difference.

>:D

1 - 20 of 93 Posts