GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2008 AWD SLT1 and just after 2000 miles the dial on the speedometer stuck at 19 mph and the tach dial stuck around 1250 RPM while driving. It happened about 5 minutes after starting the engine. I punched the OnStar to read the codes and they said nothing showed up and suggested that I shut off for 30 seconds and restart at a stop light. The dials were still stuck and Onstar said it was probably a mechanical dial problem. I told them that sounded reasonable for a single dial, but not two at the same time. They told me to call the dealer.

On the next start up all of the dials on the instrument panel were stuck. Speedometer at 19 mph, tach at 1250, voltage was maxed, temperature was maxed, and fuel went up to 1/2 from 1/4. Since that time I shut down and started the vehicle six more times. The speedometer and tach started working again, but went up from 19mph and 1250 rpm instead of 0 for both. Each time all of the dials started moving back toward their normal readings. And on the 7th startup, everything seems normal again.

This happened Thursday and I have an appointment for Tuesday. All of the dials on the instrument panel now appear to be working normally and I am concerned that the dealership will not be able to find the cause.

Has anyone had a similar problem or know the cause of this instrument panel malfunction?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Camera phone / digital phone. Record it the next time, and avoid the "customer concern not duplicated" evilness.

·
Registered
730 Posts
toasteroven said:
Camera phone / digital phone. Record it the next time, and avoid the "customer concern not duplicated" evilness.
yeah, that is evil :angryfire: ...sometimes you might think that they think you are just being stupid..

·
Registered
339 Posts
kram said:
toasteroven said:
yeah, that is evil :angryfire: ...sometimes you might think that they think you are just being stupid..
I don't work in the auto industry at all, but I do work in the computer software industry. Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to resolve a problem that you are unable to see, replicate, or get logs for. Depending upon the person you are working with, I imagine that they completely believe what you are saying, it is just that they are nearly powerless to help you out unless they are able to replicate the problem or there is a known documented solution to the given problem. I know it can be very frustrating because I've been on the side experiencing the problems, but unfortunately I've also been on the other side and it sometimes can be just as frustrating.

Good luck,
K

·
Registered
8 Posts
Strange I run across this today.

I just bought my 2008 SLT1 Acadia this past weekend and now i'm nearing 550 miles.

Well this morning my wife made me aware of this exact same thing only her speedo was stuck at 10mph and the tach was stuck at 2krpm.

Same thing when she got home I went outside to look at it and sure enough all the gauges were in strange positions but I noticed that when I killed the car and restarted they attempted to go closer to the correct start position. So after about 8-9 restarts the gauges are now working normally and no sign of anything bad going on.

I would really like to know what the dealer told you, as I have the same feeling and don't wanna bring it in for the "can't duplicate" excuse.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Has anyone experienced this problem lately?

I have an 08 SLT-1 with 2200 miles....same thing happened. Gauges seemed to reset themselves after 5 or 6 on/off cycles (i didn't get to this thread untill getting home, just noticed that the gauges seemed to move back a bit after turning off the car initially).

Is this a sign of impending problems?

TIA

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
It looks like there's a software update for the instrument panel cluster to address this TIA:

#08-08-49-017: Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Gauges Inoperative, Erratic/Inaccurate Gauge Readings (Reprogram IPC) - (Oct 2, 2008)

Subject: Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Gauges Inoperative, Erratic/Inaccurate Gauge Readings (Reprogram IPC)

Models: 2008 Buick Enclave
2008 Chevrolet Malibu (excluding Malibu Classic)
2008 GMC Acadia
2008 Saturn AURA, OUTLOOK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment that the instrument gauges appear to be erratic/inaccurate or are inoperative.

This condition may be intermittent and occur over one or multiple ignition cycles, eventually resetting itself.

Cause
A software anomaly within the IPC allows the microprocessor to lose communication with the gauge temporarily.

Correction
Do This - Reprogram the instrument panel cluster (IPC).

Don't Do This - Do not replace the instrument panel cluster (IPC).

A revised calibration has been developed to correct this condition. Technicians are to reprogram the instrument panel cluster (IPC) using SPS with the latest software available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the Service Programming System (SPS) procedures in SI. As always make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

N4199
Instrument Panel Cluster Reprogramming with SPS
Use Published Labor Operation Time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts