GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife told me about this issue, and then I did experience it yesterday.

-- Start the car in the garage
-- Instrument cluster and radio (non-nav) leds/backlights come on
-- Begin to back out of the garage- all instrument cluster and radio is dark
-- After switching to drive, in less than 5 seconds, all backlights/leds return to readable brightness.

This occured yesterday when it was fairly bright outside.

I don't know if this is normal behavior or not, does it dim the panels so that you are not distracted from your rear view while backing up?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The instrument cluster dims when the headlights are turned on. Because you started in the garage, the car thought it was dark outside and turned the lights on (whiched dimmed the instrument panel). When you backed out and it was bright the headlights turned off and the instrument panel got brighter.

It is brighter during the day so that you can see the gauges better. At night it doesn't need to be as bright because everything around is darker (the gauges aren't competing with the sun). This dimming is also easier on your eyes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a problem with my backlight on the speedometer. The 100km mark was dim, blinked or would stay off....they replaced the whole panel at my GMC dealership. It's fine now.

·
Registered
542 Posts
This is supposed to happen (not wendys condition). It has to do with the light sensor. If dark out, the instrument panel dims. Once the sensor is in light, the instrument panel automatically brightens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having a similar problem...The backlight for the oil, fuel, and battery gauges flickers on and off throughout the day, sometimes staying on and sometimes staying off......the gauges still work, just can't read them. It happens during daylight and at night! Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
We really need to know what kind of Acadia you have and year???

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Nevermind I read your other post!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
go by what AA said.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Michelle,
The IPC lights are still flickering on and off throughout the day...The dealer is thinking it may be the solar sensor. Unfortunately, the dealer informed methat I am 1,000 miles over my bumper to bumper warranty! I just bought the car last week and the used car dealership(not a GMC dealer) that I bought it from will not cover anything! Does GMC ever make any exceptions to the warranties?
Thanks,
Misty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts