GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an 09 Traverse for almost 3 months and for the second time in one day on startup I lost *all* dashboard/instrumentation lights including the radio display lights. All was blank and dark. This...glitch in the morning lasted for maybe...5 seconds and then the lighting kicked in. But later that afternoon my wife said it persisted for a couple of minutes.

Of course if it happened at night it would be more of a safety issue. I would imagine such electrical gremlins are hard to diagnose (it didn't happen at all the next day). I have posted in the Traverse forum but am posting directly to the Acadia forum given its longer history. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I am guessing that the Traverse has automatic headlights? There should be a sensor on the dash that reads sunlight levels and adjusts the dash light brightness. Maybe this sensor has an issue

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fixn278 said:
I had a similar issue. It turned out to be damaged pins on the back of the instrument panel.
Do you mind going into more details re your similar problem , the diagnosis and the specifics of the solution?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
copperbeech said:
Do you mind going into more details re your similar problem , the diagnosis and the specifics of the solution?

Thanks for your help.
The display intermittently blanked out, so I brought it in for service and they said there were bent pins on the back of the instrument panel. They replaced it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. But often a dealer wont do the work unless they can reproduce the problem. In your case as with mine it is intermittent. How were you/they able get the lights to go out on demand?

·
Registered
7 Posts
copperbeech said:
Thanks. But often a dealer wont do the work unless they can reproduce the problem. In your case as with mine it is intermittent. How were you/they able get the lights to go out on demand?
It was intermittent, and they were not able to reproduce it. They looked for an issue based on the symptom I described. It's not reasonable to make you prove to a dealer that there is an issue. If your delaer won't investigate, then I would try to find a new one.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fixn278 said:
The display intermittently blanked out, so I brought it in for service and they said there were bent pins on the back of the instrument panel. They replaced it.
Hope this is the last time I will bug you :-[. When you have time could you take a look at the work order/invoice to get the specifics of the part(s) i.e name and part no. This for sure would help me when I go see the dealer. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
fixn278 said:
It was intermittent, and they were not able to reproduce it. They looked for an issue based on the symptom I described. It's not reasonable to make you prove to a dealer that there is an issue. If your delaer won't investigate, then I would try to find a new one.
Yeah well sometimes the dealer needs some spoon feeding; others will dig into your problem. It's all a roll of the dice

·
Registered
7 Posts
copperbeech said:
Hope this is the last time I will bug you :-[. When you have time could you take a look at the work order/invoice to get the specifics of the part(s) i.e name and part no. This for sure would help me when I go see the dealer. Thanks for your help.
I don't have it handy. The next time I am at the dealer I will ask them to print me a copy.

·
Registered
415 Posts
this happen to me recently I was under a dark bridge and then as soon as i came out of it and hit the bright sunlight...the lights went dim for 5 seconds or so and then came back...is this normal or something defective?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
SLT09_ACADIA said:
this happen to me recently I was under a dark bridge and then as soon as i came out of it and hit the bright sunlight...the lights went dim for 5 seconds or so and then came back...is this normal or something defective?
Sounds like yours was just the normal adjustment between day and night.

·
Super Moderator
22,405 Posts
copperbeech said:
.... on startup I lost *all* dashboard/instrumentation lights including the radio display lights. All was blank and dark. ...5 seconds and then the lighting kicked in. But later that afternoon my wife said it persisted for a couple of minutes.
There might be a circuit in the instrument cluster that would keep it from lighting up when first started on a cold day. I had an all-digital cluster that took a few seconds to warm up and come on if the outside temp was about freezing, or below. The Acadia may be similarly equipped and if it's happening when the temp outside is reasonable, there might be an intermittent problem with that circuit.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
SLT09_ACADIA said:
It's normal. During daylight, the instument panel (IP) lighting will be lit at maximum brightness so that you can see it clearly in bright daylight. However, when the automatic headlamps come on the IP will dim to a nighttime level.

What happened to you is that when you drove under the bridge, the light sensor on the dash turned on your automatic headlamps, thus dimming the IP display. The automatic headlamp sensor has a delay so that if you drive under a short bridge or other structure, the headlamps won't come on immediately and then have to turn off again. Your bridge was just long enough to trigger the headlamps and it was just a coincidence that they came on just as you exited the bridge and then it took a couple of seconds to realize that you were back in daylight again and turned off the headlamps, thus returning the IP lighting to the daytime brightness.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts