GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first let me apologize for re-starting this old topic, but evidently I'm a moron because I'm stumped. I received my factory cross rails this week and have been trying to get them installed. After reading the instructions over several times, and reading through all the information found in this forum, I still haven't even been able to get the rear covers off to begin the installation process.

I found the below post from Bill in PA elsewhere on the forum who had edited an earlier post from Sandman (thank you fellas):

"OK, got them installed. If I had to do it again - probably could do it in half hour or less. TRUE. Took me considerably longer first time. ALSO TRUE
Main thing - screws are different. The torx head go on the top. (they look just like the other ones except they have a little stud in the middle that prevents you from using a regular star drive - guess who didn't notice this until the front ones were on and I had to start over). THANKS TO SANDMAN I GOT THIS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. The tie downs go inside (not top) and in the back holes.
To remove the rear cover - once the screw driver is inside the hole- push it IN towards the OUTSIDE of the car. The directions say depress. I kept pushing down, nope its "in". YEP, PUSH IN TOWARDS THE OUTSIDE OF THE CAR. You have to do the same thing when you slide the rear cover back on. THE COVER SLIDES BACK TOWARD THE REAR. By the way, you could easily hide a key under the rear covers.
There is definately a front and rear crossrail (slightly different lengths). THE FRONT ONE WAS THE LONGER ONE.
The tap plates kinda seem to fit only one way. So if the hole doesn't line up - flip it over. If that doesn't work, try another one. THEY ARE TIGHT TO SCREW IN, BUT I BELIEVE THAT IS BY DESIGN SINCE YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO MAKE THEM REAL TIGHT.
Think thats about it. Do read directions carefully". [/color]

I insert a screwdriver (I've tried both flat head, philips, and the wrench that came with the rails), but I'm not feeling anything that gives when I push in any direction and the covers aren't budging. Perhaps something changed on the 2009 model from when the above instructions were posted? I'm a little nervous to try forcing it in any particular direction, but maybe I'm not pushing hard enough? If I understand the directions correctly, I'm supposed to insert the screwdriver into the hole and just keep pushing it straight in that same direction of motion, while at the same time sliding the cover towards the back of the Acadia.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Seems like a headache; once you figure it out you'll probably shake your head :eek:hno: about how easy it was

·
Registered
752 Posts
Dang, I did this so long ago - tis hard to remember. kinda think the key was pushing towards the outside of the car. Maybe try a smaller screwdriver? I'll go out tomorrow and see if I can get mine off and will let you know.

·
Registered
752 Posts
sandman said:
Dang, I did this so long ago - tis hard to remember. kinda think the key was pushing towards the outside of the car. Maybe try a smaller screwdriver? I'll go out tomorrow and see if I can get mine off and will let you know.
Just tried it (unless things have changed for newer cars), went pretty easy.
Put screwdriver in hole (I used one with a very small head), push pretty hard, straight back. And (this may be the key), while pushing in use your other hand to slide off the top part. You definitely have to push and slide at the same time. Good luck :cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, but still no luck. I'm beginning to think something's different on the 2009 model, which is odd because the cross rails have the same instructions and the rails have the same access hole. I can't believe I'm having this much trouble with it. If it's not too much trouble, I think it would have tremendously if someone posted a picture with the rail cover removed so I can better visualize how the release mechanism works.

:banghead:
-Steve

·
Registered
752 Posts
Weird ! the mechanism is really simple. you are just pushing against a lever that when pushed back far enough, the pin (or long metal thing) from the top can slide past. That reminds me - once the top starts to slide, you do have to pull the screwdriver out . Try wiggeling the top as you are pushing it back. You only need to slide it abouta a half of an inch before you pull out the driver. If that doesn't work - well how far are you from San Pedro?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the continued guidance, but it's still not coming loose. I don't feel a level in there moving at all to even begin sliding the cover. Hrmph! I'm near Universal City in the valley, so San Pedro is less than an hour from me. I appreciate the offer to help, and just might take you up on it. I haven't quite given up yet.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Keep us posted. You might just try going back to the dealer and asking if they have a mechanic that can show you how. There is also a good chance they have no clue. My offer stands if nothing else works out - of course, if they have changed the silly thing, I won't be much help either.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
sfcook said:
Thanks for the continued guidance, but it's still not coming loose. I don't feel a level in there moving at all to even begin sliding the cover. Hrmph! I'm near Universal City in the valley, so San Pedro is less than an hour from me. I appreciate the offer to help, and just might take you up on it. I haven't quite given up yet.
There seems to be some kind of disconnect; I would have thought with all the help you would be good by now; I hope the dealer can help you out and let us know what they say for future reference

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
When you insert the screw driver, you are pressing a flat piece of metal that has a tooth on it. When not being pressed, the tooth is locked in a hole. When you depress this flat piece of metal, the tooth is forced out of the hole, thus releasing the cover. Hold the screw driver perfectly straight when inserting it in the rail. When you feel it hit something, that should be the tab you are supposed to be pressing. Lightly apply and release the pressure on the object. If you feel a “spring” type pressure pushing back on the screw driver, you are definitely pushing on the tab. Just press in while you slide back the rail cover. Don’t lift the rail cover, slide it straight back as you depress the tab.

I’ll take off the cover and post pics for you tonight, if I don’t see a success story at some later time today.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The only thing I can figure is that you are not pushing in far enough.
Inserting the tool pushes on the tab which opens the way for the POST
to pass through the opening created. You cannot push too far, as there is a STOP.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Nice pics; and the free hand graphics; sometimes you have to see what's inside to get a better understanding

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
BTW, I think the star wrench supplied with the kit works fine to depress the tab.
A flat head screw driver could slip behind the tab as you depress it and get stuck.
Pull straight back (to the rear of the vehicle) on the cover, not up.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Those are great pics - I am very impressed :cheers: did you photoshop the graphics on?
by the way, I have always felt that that would be a good place to hide a key - of course you would also have to have a way to get the cover off. I am thinking maybe a 10 penny nail held in place with a small magnet? which you could then use on the cover - or maybe a stick of dynamite.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you so much. Great pictures. They confirm how I expected the mechanism should work, and that it really shouldn't be that difficult. They also help me try to feel around in there with the screwdriver to try to find that tab mechanism. Unfortunately, it's still not moving--no spring type pressure anywhere I feel around in there. Something must not be right. I'm going to take it to the dealership and have them remove the covers to see what the problem is. I probably won't be able to take it until Saturday since I want to see how they do it. Stay tuned to find out the dramatic conclusion of man v. roof rail cover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:woot:

Ah ha!!! Mystery solved! It wasn't me. They did change it on the 2009 model.

I took it to the dealer this morning. One of the service reps took a look at it and tried the insert screwdriver and push method, but gave up quickly and asked me to pull it in so one of the techs could look at it. The tech pulled up the service manual, looked at my instructions that came with the cross rails, and even looked at the pictures the Copperhead13 uploaded since I brought them along. The tech tinkered for a while and likewise couldn't feel any sort of spring mechanism. So, they decided they were going to get the cover off even if it meant breaking something and got out the paperwork out just in case the needed to file a warranty claim, but thankfully nothing was broken. The design had simply been changed and no manuals or instructions had been updated to reflect the change. There's no longer a release spring which allows you to slide the cover off.

Now, the covers held on to a couple of posts and just snap on and off vertically with enough pressure. Not knowing this, I had been afraid of breaking some clasp.

And, yes, jsimms, it did turn out to be things where I'm now shaking my head about how simple it was.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and support. Hopefully this new information saves some other soul from beating his/her head against the wall...

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow! So I am not weak and Stupid! I didn't feel the spring tension either so I took it the my dealer... They never did tel me how they got them off.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yup, just when out in the garage and had the cover off in about 5 seconds! That's easy. Now I can take off the rails until I need them. Thank you :cheers:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Funny, that is three things my 2009 Acadia didn't get updated.
I still have the 4,500 lbs tow capacity, and the 2007-2008 roof rails;
and I got the "corrected" heated washers from the left over 2008 parts. :blob:

Mine is looking more like a 2009ish GMC Acadia.
I guess mine is a "cross over" in more than one way! ;)

BTW: I noticed from your pic that they left the old "structures" in; just didn't add the clamp
and post.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts