GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the best features any Ford has is the number key pad installed as an option on the door. You code the number and you do not need a key to get in. No Onstar, no police calls for slim jims, etc. Three of our Fords are set up with same #, real handy ;D
They sell this as a retrofit option for Fords. Anybody out there try to install it on a GM or Acadia specifically? :confused:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't think Acadia would like it if I were to install FORD parts on my GMC! :angel:

·
Registered
159 Posts
It would be really nice if it worked!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've had a few Fords with the key pad and I'm surprised no one else has come out with this feature.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It is a nice feature...used to have it on my 2002 Explorer. Very Convenient. I used it all the time.

I guess w/On Star all you need is your cell phone and you can lock your keys in your Acadia any time you want and make a simple phone call to get the Acadia unlocked right!!! Simple work around!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is just one of those simple designs that all you have to do is remember a 4 number code, can't get much easier. Ford offers it as a dealer install, but given the silly stories on how GM made it so difficult to add aftermarket connections for wiring for a trailer hitch, I would just as soon somebody else tried it first.
Any Volunteers? :eek:hno:

·
Registered
306 Posts
It just doesn't sound right to put Ford parts in a GM vehicle.

Now the other way is OK.

I've seen several 1930's Ford Hot Rods with Chevy engines.
One of them had BOTH Ford and Chevy mottos that seemed approriate for that car:

"Ford Has A Better Idea"[/color] "Powered By Chevrolet"[/color]

·
Registered
259 Posts
Nissan used to have the keypad back in the late 80s... :D It was convenient though, I'll give you that.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
GAgirl said:
Nissan used to have the keypad back in the late 80s... :D It was convenient though, I'll give you that.
Nissan had it on the Quest, which was produced in a joint venture with Ford. It was also sold as the Mercury Villager. Ford provided the key pad. For the most part (not speaking of the keypad), the Quest incorporated the worst technology of both companies. :eek:hno:

Kelly

·
Registered
183 Posts
RedRocker said:
I guess w/On Star all you need is your cell phone and you can lock your keys in your Acadia any time you want and make a simple phone call to get the Acadia unlocked right!!! Simple work around!
I mentioned this in another thread - OnStar can only unlock your vehicle within 48 hours from the last time it was turned off. I'm guessing the onboard system 'turns off' to conserve the battery. So it's OK if you recognize that you're locked out right away (or the next morning), but if you lock your keys inside , say, at the airport and you're gone for a couple days, they'll have to dispatch a locksmith to help you out.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JohnFitz,
Good point on Onstar, the keypad always works (as long at there is battery power). :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
One of the smarter things that Ford did was patent this technology and offer it only on Ford and it's subsidiaries.

Wish GM had thought of it first.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
The keypad is a great idea. However, I agree that it looks better without it. GM should come up with a keypad somewhere under the car where it can't be seen, but is easy to get to if you are locked out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know a guy who zip-locked and duck taped his extra remote underneath his Sierra pickup!! I'm not so sure I would advise that, though...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Of course there always is the tried and true practice of buying a magnetic key holder and putting it in a "well hidden" >:D Spot that no thief can find! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
487 Posts
jrc50 said:
Of course there always is the tried and true practice of buying a magnetic key holder and putting it in a "well hidden" >:D Spot that no thief can find! :eek:hno:
Do you dress up as a cop sometimes, seriously 3 Crown Vics, what gives.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ColoradoGM,
Yes, you are the first to notice. I travel 35,000 miles or more per year and change our work cars at about 100K (when I bought the Acadia). Crown Vic (especially with the Sport Package) are great road cars. Was close to buying another one, but even I could not stand the thought of a 4th one, my neighbors would have thought I was starting up a Taxi service. :banghead:
Actually, the 03 has been my work car (drive the whole South, fly the rest of U.S.); the 02 my wife uses for work (135K); the 00 is my daughter's car (140K-she is working in China, not much need for a Crown Vic there, meanwhile it is our airport car). I'll probably continue to run the 03 for a while, Crown Vics tend to run to 200K if you push it.
The Mustang Cobra is my weekend fun car, used it for work when I could not stand the thought of another CVic, the Corvette is my wife's "retirement car" (she is not retired yet, has to pay for the Corvette first!)
So that explains the odd assortment of vehicles, actually was trying to buy a new Mustang Cobra but gave up on the Ford dealers all wanting a lot over sticker then ran into the Acadia and thought it would be a good change for me :cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts