GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a TV Tuner in my Honda Pilot and moved it over to my Acadia. It's a Farenheit TV Tuner 5R. Plugs into the rear RCA jacks and power source. It's a ghetto installation. I hide the device under the 3rd row bench. I velcro the diversity antennas to the rear of the third row bench. When I want to watch TV, I pull the cables out from the 3rd under the 3rd row bench and plug in the RCA and power to the rear entertainment jacks. Cables tuck under the 3rd row bench when not in use. Antenna's stay velcro'd to the 3rd row bench.

Yeah yeah is a ghetto installation. Nothing professional. But hey it works. And when not in use, you can't see it. In fact this is the exact same way I used this device in my Honda Pilot (hiding it under the third row bench). As for reception, as long as I'm within city (Chicago limits) and not moving I can watch TV crystal clear. For those of you familiar with the Chicago area, I can watch TV clearly as far west of downtown Chicago as I294. Once past this, reception dimishes. If the vehicle moves, picture gets a bit fuzzy, and sometimes unwatchable. Works great for when the wife wants to shop and I want to catch a game in the mall parking lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Antennas are velcro'd to the back of the third row bench.

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
So you have to remove the tuner anytime you want to lower the 3rd row bench then? Because you know it drops a few inches and the seat touches the floor when you fold the backs down. Anything under there will limit the movement of the rear seats. Of course it depends how often you have a need to fold the 3rd row...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3rd row bench in my Acadia never goes down or else my kids won't have a seat. My Honda Pilot does all the dirty work. But in fact the device still fits even with third row down. The bench is slighty concave and soft underneath. The device is only like 1/2 inch thick. The bench just sits on top of it when down.

Also nothing is permanent. I can simply unplug and move it to my Pilot if needed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
thats cool.I want one of those DirectTV dishes on my roof.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rufio said:
I had a TV Tuner in my Honda Pilot and moved it over to my Acadia. It's a Farenheit TV Tuner 5R. Plugs into the rear RCA jacks and power source. It's a ghetto installation. I hide the device under the 3rd row bench. I velcro the diversity antennas to the rear of the third row bench. When I want to watch TV, I pull the cables out from the 3rd under the 3rd row bench and plug in the RCA and power to the rear entertainment jacks. Cables tuck under the 3rd row bench when not in use. Antenna's stay velcro'd to the 3rd row bench.

Yeah yeah is a ghetto installation. Nothing professional. But hey it works. And when not in use, you can't see it. In fact this is the exact same way I used this device in my Honda Pilot (hiding it under the third row bench). As for reception, as long as I'm within city (Chicago limits) and not moving I can watch TV crystal clear. For those of you familiar with the Chicago area, I can watch TV clearly as far west of downtown Chicago as I294. Once past this, reception dimishes. If the vehicle moves, picture gets a bit fuzzy, and sometimes unwatchable. Works great for when the wife wants to shop and I want to catch a game in the mall parking lot.
My brother-in-law is looking to put a tv turner in his SUV. He was wondering about reception at standstill and on the move. From what I read, your reception gets fuzzy when driving. He lives in VA and travels to NC & SC where it is flat and open. Do you think he will benefit from this tv tuner?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rae0568,

Sorry for the late reply... It's hard to say. Definitely don't expect to be watching TV while on the move. There's too much interference, picture gets too fuzzy. It all depends on distance to your TV station source, clear view of the station's antenna and type of diversity antenna's. For me, I use it only when kids are still asleep and the wife wants continue shopping. I sit and catch Cubs games in the mall parking lot.

-- Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts