GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to place an order for a aftermarket doubledin unit Kenwood DNX8120 and am wondering if anyone has installed either any aftermarket unti or Kenwood and would not mind the sharing or pictures/instructions/tips etc? Feel free to put your thoughts on the subject here!
cheers

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: Installation pictures/instructions for aftermarket 2din unit & back up camera?

I have a Kenwood DNX5120 installed. It's dark now..I will get installed pictures tomorrow. Sorry, I did not document the install process so no pictures from there. You will need an in-dash adapter (face plate) to fill in the gap between the factory dash opening and your navigation unit. You may also want a back-up camera, so include that in your order.
Take note what you will lose:
1. Onstar (not sure if working in your location). If it works there and you like to keep it, you need a GMOS LAN01(non-bose) or 02 (bose system) adapter.
2. Audible Chimes (doors, audible safety warnings, onstar, etc..). You will need a separate speaker to hear chimes and onstar related instructions. The speaker will be connected to the GMOS LAN adapter.
3. Turn signal click. You will need a separate SPDT relay to restore the clicking sound.

The DNX8120 is an upscale unit that has all the bells and whistles. Just make sure that the unit you bought has been upgraded with the latest software/firmware. After the official release of both the DNX7120 and DNX8120, they were instantly recalled back for upgrades due to some software issues/bugs. I think an indicator would be green or yellow (forgot the color ???) sticker dots on the unit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Installation pictures/instructions for aftermarket 2din unit & back up camera?

aandm said:
I am about to place an order for a aftermarket doubledin unit Kenwood DNX8120 and am wondering if anyone has installed either any aftermarket unti or Kenwood and would not mind the sharing or pictures/instructions/tips etc? Feel free to put your thoughts on the subject here!
cheers
I love my DNX8120 in my Acadia. I got it installed for $2000 with tax. The unit itself was $1600, but you need a trim kit, ontstar harness and an adapter to keep your steering wheel controls. It works great - I chose it over the Pioneer F-series and have ZERO regrets. My installer forgot to run the attached USB able to an accessible location, so I used a thread in this forum to remove the main dash center (very easy) and rounted it to the box on top of the dash which is where my ipod adapter is also. I am sure I could have done it myself, but I was just too busy.

I may add a back up camera later.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Installation pictures/instructions for aftermarket 2din unit & back up camer

dmann33 said:
I love my DNX8120 in my Acadia. I got it installed for $2000 with tax. The unit itself was $1600, but you need a trim kit, ontstar harness and an adapter to keep your steering wheel controls. It works great - I chose it over the Pioneer F-series and have ZERO regrets. My installer forgot to run the attached USB able to an accessible location, so I used a thread in this forum to remove the main dash center (very easy) and rounted it to the box on top of the dash which is where my ipod adapter is also. I am sure I could have done it myself, but I was just too busy.

I may add a back up camera later.
Hi mate
thanks for ur response, yes i have yet to read a thread/review which does not paraise 8120. Onstar is not availabel here so no need for the adoptor but i would need the steering wheel controls adaptor and a filler to fill the gap? Any recomendation?
I would like to add the backup camera as well so if you ahve any recomendations then please feel free to share.
cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Installation pictures/instructions for aftermarket 2din unit & back up camer

kram said:
I have a Kenwood DNX5120 installed. It's dark now..I will get installed pictures tomorrow. Sorry, I did not document the install process so no pictures from there. You will need an in-dash adapter (face plate) to fill in the gap between the factory dash opening and your navigation unit. You may also want a back-up camera, so include that in your order.
I look forward to the pics, i will get the installer to do the job but still nice to know how things are done and ensure the installer does it correctly!

kram said:
Take note what you will lose:
1. Onstar (not sure if working in your location). If it works there and you like to keep it, you need a GMOS LAN 01(non-bose) or 02 (bose system) adapter.
You are right we dont have Onstar here so not bothered but have SLT-1 so it comes with Bose systems, do i still need adapter?

kram said:
2. Audible Chimes (doors, audible safety warnings, onstar, etc..). You will need a separate speaker to hear chimes and onstar related instructions. The speaker will be connected to the GMOS LAN adapter.
Do i need speaker or adoptor to keep the audible safety warnings? When i called one of the supplier they menioned that i would need an adoptor to keep the audible safety warnings etc?

kram said:
3. Turn signal click. You will need a separate SPDT relay to restore the clicking sound.
Thanks for that, did not know about the above realy to keep the click!

kram said:
The DNX8120 is an upscale unit that has all the bells and whistles. Just make sure that the unit you bought has been upgraded with the latest software/firmware. After the official release of both the DNX7120 and DNX8120, they were instantly recalled back for upgrades due to some software issues/bugs. I think an indicator would be green or yellow (forgot the color ???) sticker dots on the unit.
Right prior to ordering the unit i will ask the supplier to confirm the firmware version.

So the final shopping list looks like this.

1. DNX8120
2. Steering control adopter
3. audible safety warnings adopter
4. SPDT relay
5. Backup camera

thats all i think, anyone recomend a supplier who can supply the whole package?
cheers

·
Registered
730 Posts

I think the GMOS LAN adapter is essential to the installation of an aftermarket receiver if you want to restore chimes, safety warnings, turn signal clicking. The external speaker for the chimes/warnings are connected to the GMOS LAN adapter as well as the SPDT relay for the turn signal click. I do not know of any other way to restore these functions without the use of the adapter.
The only thing that the DNX8120 does not do but the DNX5120 does is the ability to change the panel illumination to match the factory illumination, which is red. I think lighting will be blue...may not be a deal breaker for you. The DNX5120 has several choices of panel illumination.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Nice pics Kram. I notice you have your GPS antenna on top of the dash in the corner. Have you thought about installing it under the cowl trim (where the OEM GPS antenna would go if you have OEM nav)? Not sure if it would fit or not.

·
Registered
117 Posts

loach said:
Nice pics Kram. I notice you have your GPS antenna on top of the dash in the corner. Have you thought about installing it under the cowl trim (where the OEM GPS antenna would go if you have OEM nav)? Not sure if it would fit or not.
I think my GPS antenna is under the dash. I am not sure, but it is nowere in sight.

Here is a (poor) pic taken in the dark.

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts

loach said:
Thanks.
I did not have the OEM nav so I do not know where the OEM antenna might have been installed. I was looking for the best place to install it out of direct view from the outside. So after fishing and routing the antenna wire and sticking the antenna at its current location and after several days of testing it, I realized I could have located it under the compartment above the dash (where my EZ Pass is hiding). I decided to do it some other time..never had the chance or thought about relocating it yet. Do you think it will function just as well inside the dash compartment?

·
Registered
730 Posts

dmann33 said:
loach said:
I think my GPS antenna is under the dash. I am not sure, but it is nowere in sight.

Here is a (poor) pic taken in the dark.
dmann33, how's your nav reception? If you have time, would you mind checking where your antenna is hidden?
really nice unit you got there....i would have gotten it but two things: out of my budget and panel illumination ( more of the price, though..i can live with the color)

·
Registered
28 Posts

I found this thread on Saturn Forum http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=294.0. It's instructions, with really good pictures, of a factory nav install on a Outlook complete with where the nav antenna goes. I'm not sure if it will help you or not but since all Lambda's are basically the same the Acadia shouldn't be much different. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

kram said:
Thanks.
I did not have the OEM nav so I do not know where the OEM antenna might have been installed. I was looking for the best place to install it out of direct view from the outside. So after fishing and routing the antenna wire and sticking the antenna at its current location and after several days of testing it, I realized I could have located it under the compartment above the dash (where my EZ Pass is hiding). I decided to do it some other time..never had the chance or thought about relocating it yet. Do you think it will function just as well inside the dash compartment?
I would just install it in the OEM nav antenna location if I were you. The OEM antenna works just fine under there, so I can't imagine your Kenwood would have any trouble. See the Outlook forum thread that redneck70 posted for location. I used that thread to help me install the OEM nav system. One difference is you do not need to remove the upper dash storage compartment in the Acadia to fish the antenna, but you probably already know that since you've already fished your antenna to the corner of the dash.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

@kram, nice pics mate, thanks for sharing,

@redneck70
i saw the detailed Saturn Forum installtion & it looks goood, nice to know u can hide GPS antenna. It does not say anything about GMOS LAN adapter or any other addiotnal items.

I still need instructions on reverse camera though, anyone?

·
Registered
730 Posts

aandm said:

@redneck70
i saw the detailed Saturn Forum installtion & it looks goood, nice to know u can hide GPS antenna. It does not say anything about GMOS LAN adapter or any other addiotnal items.

There was no need for a GMOS LAN adapter because he was replacing his factory radio with a factory navigation system...all features should function the same.

Inform your installer to make sure to just hook up the reverse wire from the headunit to the reverse wire of the vehicle.. the reverse wire connection from the reverse camera should be left unconnected. This way, you can still activate the reverse camera even when in D(rive.)...otherwise the camera will only come on during R(everse). I'm assuming you will be getting the Kenwood CCD-2000 reverse camera to match up with your DNX8120.

·
Registered
730 Posts

loach said:
I would just install it in the OEM nav antenna location if I were you. The OEM antenna works just fine under there, so I can't imagine your Kenwood would have any trouble. See the Outlook forum thread that redneck70 posted for location. I used that thread to help me install the OEM nav system. One difference is you do not need to remove the upper dash storage compartment in the Acadia to fish the antenna, but you probably already know that since you've already fished your antenna to the corner of the dash.
Thanks. I will try it when I get the chance.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

aandm said:
mmal4 has a nice tutorial on how to tear the rear hatch apart to route wires for a backup camera here:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=41.msg29161#msg29161

Just keep in mind that you don't need to jump through all the hoops he did with the voltage adapter since you're not using the OEM camera.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

kram said:
aandm said:

@redneck70

There was no need for a GMOS LAN adapter because he was replacing his factory radio with a factory navigation system...all features should function the same.

Inform your installer to make sure to just hook up the reverse wire from the headunit to the reverse wire of the vehicle.. the reverse wire connection from the reverse camera should be left unconnected. This way, you can still activate the reverse camera even when in D(rive.)...otherwise the camera will only come on during R(everse). I'm assuming you will be getting the Kenwood CCD-2000 reverse camera to match up with your DNX8120.
Thanks for the clarification, specially the reverse camera, i would not mind the Kenwood CCD-2000, provided i can get hold of the unit? I am really struggling to order all parts (GMOS LAN adapter, unit, camera etc) from one source, can anyone point me in the right directions, btw i have tried the crutchfield but they don't have all parts either?
Anyone?
cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

loach said:
aandm said:
mmal4 has a nice tutorial on how to tear the rear hatch apart to route wires for a backup camera here:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=41.msg29161#msg29161

Just keep in mind that you don't need to jump through all the hoops he did with the voltage adapter since you're not using the OEM camera.
thanks for that, will give it a go.
cheers

·
Registered
730 Posts

Crutchfield may not have everything but if you buy your unit there, the GMOS LAN adapter will be half the price (I think). It would be tough to get everything from one source. I know crutchfield does not have the SPDT relay for the clicking and the external speaker for the chimes/warnings. You may need to get these directly from Metra. I got my external speakers from Parts Express. You can also try installer.com.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts