GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Highly suggest as part of Delivery inspection Look UNDER CAR! I did not, appears some Acadias suffer from rusting exhaust systems, see posting in General Discussion :banghead:

·
Registered
395 Posts
smoothfrc said:
isnt the exhaust stainless? maybe just surface.. either way - it is under warranty
I was at a material science lab today for work and had access to a Positive Material Identification (PMI) tester. Just for kicks, we checked the exhaust on my Acadia since mine is also showing signs of a bit of surface rust, especially on the weld seams. It's not bad now but I plan to keep an eye on it.

It came up as 410/416/420 Stainless Steel (It's not precise enough to differentiate)
87% Iron/10% Chrome/1.1% Manganese/0.7% Nickel

So it is definitely 400 Series stainless steel.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
jseck2 said:
smoothfrc said:
isnt the exhaust stainless? maybe just surface.. either way - it is under warranty
I was at a material science lab today for work and had access to a Positive Material Identification (PMI) tester. Just for kicks, we checked the exhaust on my Acadia since mine is also showing signs of a bit of surface rust, especially on the weld seams. It's not bad now but I plan to keep an eye on it.

It came up as 410/416/420 Stainless Steel (It's not precise enough to differentiate)

Type 316 stainless steel is the only material that will not corrode due to it's high nickel content with normal WATER flow. Expensive too. Type 410/416 SS is most common alloy for most applications as is the cheapest. When we bought the Acadia, we gave our 98 or 8 year old with dual stainless steel exhaust, to a needy family. The exhaust system held up for those years in winter salt environment, if you care to know with 209,000 miles. It got the same gas mileage then and when bought new.

You will see rust on your exhaust system due to the Alloy that is fabricated from. Perhaps wire brushing those rust areas periodically, will keep one happy? All stainless steel is NOT rust proof. Depends on the alloy type!

·
Registered
116 Posts
teetertotter said:
jseck2 said:
smoothfrc said:

Type 316 stainless steel is the only material that will not corrode due to it's high nickel content with normal WATER flow. Expensive too. Type 410/416 SS is most common alloy for most applications as is the cheapest. When we bought the Acadia, we gave our 98 or 8 year old with dual stainless steel exhaust, to a needy family. The exhaust system held up for those years in winter salt environment, if you care to know with 209,000 miles. It got the same gas mileage then and when bought new.

You will see rust on your exhaust system due to the Alloy that is fabricated from. Perhaps wire brushing those rust areas periodically, will keep one happy? All stainless steel in NOT rust proof. Depends on the alloy type!
Second that...our second vehicle is a 1996 Yukon with stainless exhaust. It too looks "rusty" but really is not. It's as solid now as the day we bought it with 205,000 miles currently. I'm quite positive the exhaust system will last as long as we have the vehicle yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts