GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought my wife a 2009 Acadia SLE. We absolutely love the vehicle. We traded in her 2008 Toyota 4Runner because she complained about it on a daily basis (not enough room, rough ride, etc). I wanted to see if anyone else got poor gas mileage on the initial break in period. I did not even calculate the first tank. On the second tank, we did about half and half city versus highway mileage and we got around 14.5 MPG. I live in Louisiana where it is flat and we live in a small city where traffic is not that bad. I really thought it was going to get better gas mileage than that. The 4Runner was getting around 21 MPG on average in my area.

·
Super Moderator
22,405 Posts
My '07 started out averaging about 14-16 mpg. Now with 25k miles on it, I average 18-20 on my normal daily drives. I think there's hope! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
jcieutat said:
We just bought my wife a 2009 Acadia SLE. We absolutely love the vehicle. We traded in her 2008 Toyota 4Runner because she complained about it on a daily basis (not enough room, rough ride, etc). I wanted to see if anyone else got poor gas mileage on the initial break in period. I did not even calculate the first tank. On the second tank, we did about half and half city versus highway mileage and we got around 14.5 MPG. I live in Louisiana where it is flat and we live in a small city where traffic is not that bad. I really thought it was going to get better gas mileage than that. The 4Runner was getting around 21 MPG on average in my area.
Does your Acadia have the DIC (Driver Information Center) installed? The reason I ask is are you calculating the MPG from the DIC or are you calculating if manually?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I would not be concerned about mileage until your Acadia has at least 5000 miles on it. Mileage should get better with time. The Acadia is a heavy car so short trips or lots of stop and go traffic will really hurt your average mpg.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No DIC, I am calculating it the old fashioned way. Miles divided by gallons used. It will take my wife a year or so to put 5,000 miles on it. I hope it does not take that long to get better fuel economy.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
jcieutat said:
It will take my wife a year or so to put 5,000 miles on it. I hope it does not take that long to get better fuel economy.
Between now and then there are a few things you can do to help improve that mileage.

1. As soon as you can (at least by the 3,000 mile point), change your oil and replace the break-in oil with a good synthetic oil such as Mobil 1. That will reduce engine friction slightly, and getting the break-in oil and the metal particles it's accumulated out of there is a good idea in and of itself. You can let that second batch go quite a bit longer.

2. Be sure your tires are inflated to specs (35 psi) and maybe put another # or 2 in. The ride will be a tiny bit harder, but gas mileage and tire mileage will both benefit.

3. When you start up the cold engine, don't warm it up by just idling while still parked. That produces 0 mpg, which wrecks the overall average fast and in a big way.

4. It's the short trips and the local driving that are doing the most harm now. Raising the percentage of highway miles would help, and you might want to do that for awhile just for the psychological benefit it would give you. Can you think of any excuses to go somewhere, say, once a week?

Those few suggestions aren't anything drastically new, and you may well have taken some or all of those steps already. They're just starting points that anyone with a new vehicle should consider, and one of them is also fun.

Your early mileage is quite different from mine, but so has your driving been. The day after I took delivery I drove from central Oregon to San Francisco, which is about 675 miles. The first 500 miles just about drove me crazy keeping the speed at 55 mph and slower. One long stretch resulted in exactly 25.0 mph. Now that my highway speeds are more like 65-70 mph and my driving is often a 25/75 mix of city and highway, I'm more likely to get ~22 mpg overall.

Too bad your area doesn't have any real long downgrades. I once tanked up in the Sierras and drove down from there and was getting 27.4 mpg (according to the DIC) before I got into city traffic. If it were only always like that!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday I calculated another tank of gas that comprised of about 70% Interstate and 30% City driving and it came out to 14.5 MPG again. The vehicle has around 800 miles on it now. I know that most of you guys have stated that I need to get a couple of thousand miles on it but I just cannot comprehend that. My Camry got the gas mileage as advertised from day one. Our previous 4Runner got what was advertised from day one. I am still waiting on the dealership to call so I can bring it up there for a ride along so they can hook up something that gives the MPG while driving. I hope it is not rigged! I don't want to tick anyone off but you should not have to "break in" a vehicle over an extended period of miles before the advertised gas mileage kicks in. I could have bought a Yukon!

·
Registered
47 Posts
To BOBBO or other AWD owners out there. I originally ordered my AWD Acadia from the factory but the order kept getting pushed back so I agreed to let the dealership find one for me. The only one they could find was over 200 miles away in Eldorado Ark. At just over 10k miles I am barely getting 10mpg city and 14 hwy so I have started wondering if the drive from one dealership to the other could have affected the mpg. I have no way of knowing how the person drove the car or if they were even aware of the AWD break in period. Could this be a factor ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just figured I'd post my initial mileage. I drove mostly 2-3 mile trips and all city and got between 12-14 mpg for the first thousand miles or so. Now I just drove around 950 miles from St. Louis to San Antonio at an average speed of 67.5 mph for 20.7 mpg (according to the car's computer). The speeds ranged from around 45 mph in parts of Oklahoma to 78 mph. I'm hoping the mileage gets a little better, especially in the city, but I think the 20.7 is in the range of the EPA estimates.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Took a trip to Binghamton, NY, yesterday, and as it was our first real road trip with our Acadia, I was very interested in what kind of mileage we would get.
We took an aborted trip there about a month ago and with only 300 miles on the car we averaged 20.8 mpg.
Yesterday, with the A/C off going down, and with the cruise set at 65 MPH most of the way, we averaged 22.95 mpg. Coming back, and with the A/C on, and 25 miles of city driving thrown in for good measure, again with the cruise on most of the way, we averaged 21.26 mpg!
With less than 2,000 miles on the car, I am very confident that with time and mileage, I will see an improvement in mileage.
Oh, and for what it's worth, I installed a K&N air filter three weeks ago, changed the oil to 5-W30 Valvoline Durablend oil, run 38psi in the tires, and use 89 or mid grade octane gas. I am going to try premium gas in the near future just to see if there is any difference. Since I picked up the car, we have only been using 89 octane. Seems to work pretty good thus far!
Keep it under 90, folks!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
sube 3 said:
Took a trip to Binghamton, NY, yesterday, and as it was our first real road trip with our Acadia, I was very interested in what kind of mileage we would get.
We took an aborted trip there about a month ago and with only 300 miles on the car we averaged 20.8 mpg.
Yesterday, with the A/C off going down, and with the cruise set at 65 MPH most of the way, we averaged 22.95 mpg. Coming back, and with the A/C on, and 25 miles of city driving thrown in for good measure, again with the cruise on most of the way, we averaged 21.26 mpg!
With less than 2,000 miles on the car, I am very confident that with time and mileage, I will see an improvement in mileage.
Oh, and for what it's worth, I installed a K&N air filter three weeks ago, changed the oil to 5-W30 Valvoline Durablend oil, run 38psi in the tires, and use 89 or mid grade octane gas. I am going to try premium gas in the near future just to see if there is any difference. Since I picked up the car, we have only been using 89 octane. Seems to work pretty good thus far!
Keep it under 90, folks!
Could you please update your signature with your Acadia specifics? Sounds like your Acadia is doing well with MPG

·
Registered
108 Posts
jcieutat said:
Yesterday I calculated another tank of gas that comprised of about 70% Interstate and 30% City driving and it came out to 14.5 MPG again. The vehicle has around 800 miles on it now. I know that most of you guys have stated that I need to get a couple of thousand miles on it but I just cannot comprehend that. My Camry got the gas mileage as advertised from day one. Our previous 4Runner got what was advertised from day one. I am still waiting on the dealership to call so I can bring it up there for a ride along so they can hook up something that gives the MPG while driving. I hope it is not rigged! I don't want to tick anyone off but you should not have to "break in" a vehicle over an extended period of miles before the advertised gas mileage kicks in. I could have bought a Yukon!
I don't want to sound insulting, but are you putting your transmission into L and only driving in 5th gear? The only way the Acadia get's decent mileage (20+) is in 6th gear, lugging along below 2000 rpms. I would also recommend using cruise control during any highway driving. As a reference point, my Acadia got 13.3 mpg pulling my 4000 lb boat through the Pocono mountains. I have an AWD with about 5000 miles on it.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
skierman64 said:
I don't want to sound insulting, but are you putting your transmission into L and only driving in 5th gear? The only way the Acadia get's decent mileage (20+) is in 6th gear, lugging along below 2000 rpms. I would also recommend using cruise control during any highway driving. As a reference point, my Acadia got 13.3 mpg pulling my 4000 lb boat through the Pocono mountains. I have an AWD with about 5000 miles on it.
I routinely get close to 25MPG on straight highway runs.

·
Registered
956 Posts
jcieutat said:
You cannot compare a 4 Runner to the Acadia. They are two different vehicles in weight,size, and power. You also might have a very tight engine and will need a longer break in than others. I would not be concerned until at least 5000 miles. I also doubt you will ever get 21 mpg in combined driving. I would guess 18 mpg would be more realistic or even a little less. The EPA numbers are only a guide not a guarantee. I have a friend who has a new Jeep Commander and he only is getting 12 mpg. My daughter has a new Tahoe and is getting 13 mpg combined. I would not be taking it to the dealer yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
20.5 from NJ to Michigan / 19.5 coming back - only had 300 miles on it when left for Michigan last Saturday

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
big bear craig said:
You cannot compare a 4 Runner to the Acadia. They are two different vehicles in weight,size, and power. You also might have a very tight engine and will need a longer break in than others. I would not be concerned until at least 5000 miles. I also doubt you will ever get 21 mpg in combined driving. I would guess 18 mpg would be more realistic or even a little less. The EPA numbers are only a guide not a guarantee. I have a friend who has a new Jeep Commander and he only is getting 12 mpg. My daughter has a new Tahoe and is getting 13 mpg combined. I would not be taking it to the dealer yet.
I agree with BigBear on the combined driving MPG expectation - 18 is within the realm of possibility but not much more.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We still get same mpg from when we bought new. See below for results. That would be on straight aways, using cruise, and very little wind. Sudden starts and stops will hamper mpg. I stick with tier 1 gasoline too.

·
Super Moderator
22,405 Posts
yeah, I still shed a tier, or two, each time I buy gas! Even now since the price went down a bit. :banghead:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any gas with 10% Ethenol will reduce the mileage 5-10% as well.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
skierman64 said:
Any gas with 10% Ethenol will reduce the mileage 5-10% as well.
While traveling through Texas; most gas stations had some percentage of Ethanol in their gas (at least that is what the stickers said). My mileage didn't seem to be affected; I probably filled up 5 or 6 times so maybe that wasn't enought to affect mileage

1 - 20 of 98 Posts