GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm driving and the TPMS warning light comes on, and says my right front tire is low/add air to tire. I check the reading in the DIC, and it says 12. Figuring that I had a flat after running over something, I pulled over and checked the tire. It looked perfect to me, so I checked the actual pressure with a tire gauge, and it was 35.....same as the other tires. I have started the car a number of times since, and it always varies between 11-13 psi.

Obviously there is some kind of sensor error, but I don't have a lot of time to take it in. Any way to reset the sensor without a lot of fuss?

·
Registered
100 Posts
From your tag, this looks like a 2012, and you probably have not rotated the tires.
You've done your part, as you checked your pressures yourself, and looked for a low tire.
Next step is to contact your dealer, there is an issue.

For some watching, when a tire rotation is done, they don't get things reset correctly, and then
you don't know, which tire is low !

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gogetter said:
From your tag, this looks like a 2012, and you probably have not rotated the tires.
You've done your part, as you checked your pressures yourself, and looked for a low tire.

For some watching, when a tire rotation is done, they don't get things reset correctly, and then
I actually had the tires rotated at when I did my first oil service at around 5k miles, so it can't be that since the TPMS has been working well since the rotation. I was hoping to avoid a dealer visit, but sounds like I will have no choice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gogetter said:

UPDATE: Turns out you were dead right. The TPMS was reporting a low right front tire while the problem was a nail in the right rear tire. I thought I checked the pressure of all the tires, but I must have forgotten to check that one. Believe it or not the tire looked fine visually even though it was at 13psi, but I noticed it when it dropped to 10psi.

Now I'm pissed at the dealer who did the service and rotated the tires. I have to take the car back to have them reset the sensors, and I've been driving around for a few days with a rear tire bouncing between 10-13 PSI.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
dcpmark said:
UPDATE: Turns out you were dead right. The TPMS was reporting a low right front tire while the problem was a nail in the right rear tire. I thought I checked the pressure of all the tires, but I must have forgotten to check that one. Believe it or not the tire looked fine visually even though it was at 13psi, but I noticed it when it dropped to 10psi.

Now I'm pissed at the dealer who did the service and rotated the tires. I have to take the car back to have them reset the sensors, and I've been driving around for a few days with a rear tire bouncing between 10-13 PSI.
Don't let them charge you to reset the sensors, you can do it yourself at home with no special tools, all you need is an air compressor / tire pump to inflate to the proper pressure when you're finished the reset / relearn procedure.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
thats true-
thoug some would consider an air compressor a 'special tool'.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Nvr2loud said:
Don't let them charge you to reset the sensors, you can do it yourself at home with no special tools, all you need is an air compressor / tire pump to inflate to the proper pressure when you're finished the reset / relearn procedure.
I thought that after the '10s they took away the manual relearn process.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
apparently they can still do it...
someone posted they were able to..

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
salguod said:
I thought that after the '10s they took away the manual relearn process.
I still do it in my 2012, they just took the procedure out of the owners manual. Still works exactly the same as my 2010 and my 2008 Acadia's.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
This is the procedure that I posted about a year ago when I first switched rims / tpms sensors on my 2012 Acadia.

After taking delivery of the 2012 Acadia there was some concern that a Tire Pressure Monitoring System re-learn tool would be required when changing the rims or replacing batteries in any TPMS sensor.

At first I thought the owners manual had the same procedure as earlier models for re-learning the sensors, however after actually reading the entire section 10-46 the new procedure actually only states the following...

1) engage the parking brake
2) turn the ignition to on without turning the engine on
3) press lock and unlock on the remote together for 5 seconds
4) begin relearn process at drivers side front wheel using the re-learn tool
5) move clockwise around the vehicle until all 4 sensors are set using the re-learn tool

I was concerned that the old method of reducing or increasing air pressure at each tire in sequence was no longer valid on the newer Acadias.

Tonight I switched to my winter rims and attempted the re-learn procedure WITHOUT the re-learn tool.

I followed the procedure that I used for my 2010 Acadia with the new 2012 Acadia and it WORKED despite the owners manual not including the older method.

1) engage parking brake
2) turn ignition to on without starting engine
3) depress lock and unlock buttons together for 5 seconds on the remote, until vehicle enters relearn mode
4) start with drivers side front wheel reducing air pressure by bleeding out valve stem until horn honks
5) move to passenger side front wheel and repeat
6) move to passenger side rear wheel and repeat
7) move to drivers side rear wheel and repeat
fill all tires to the correct pressure and enjoy

No re-learn tool or trip to the dealer required.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nvr2loud said:
Thanks, but I can promise you the dealer will be doing it for free, whether they want to or not..... ;)

Does anyone know how long it takes? Just a few minutes, right??

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
dcpmark said:
Thanks, but I can promise you the dealer will be doing it for free, whether they want to or not..... ;)

With the relearn tool that the dealer has sitting there, it will be less then 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Nvr2loud said:
I still do it in my 2012, they just took the procedure out of the owners manual. Still works exactly the same as my 2010 and my 2008 Acadia's.
Ah, that's what I was think of.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
dcpmark said:

Hehe--
well-- if they dont charge you-- and are nice to you..the service advisor will have one of this guys run to your car and do it with the tool.. and youre out in minutes...

BUT-- most likely.. sure-- we can do it. Theyll enter the car into their service system. and they have to drive the car to the back etc... Maybe 20 min later-- its done.. (if theres no line).

If you do it yourself--- and if the sensors all work like they should-- it can take about 5 min... assuming you have a compressor to fill the tires back up...

BUT...if you run into the luck I had--- where NO MATTER what--- the 4th TPMS would never sync... (but would sync in any other order)...
My 07 Impala did this..I tried over 80 times.. no go.. aired up aired down etc.. Finally got tired of message after maybe 2 weeks..... and ran into the 20 min scenario and $20 later at dealer.

After dealer did his thing- I rotated tires- but didnt reset TPMS. I didnt want to pay $20. But deep down it bothered me knowing the tires were out of place with the TPMS (OCD?).

So I bought the tool.
With my new tires 2 days ago- I got home-- and relearned the TPMS--

about 55 seconds.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
rbarrios said:
BUT...if you run into the luck I had--- where NO MATTER what--- the 4th TPMS would never sync... (but would sync in any other order)...
My 07 Impala did this..I tried over 80 times.. no go.. aired up aired down etc.. Finally got tired of message after maybe 2 weeks..... and ran into the 20 min scenario and $20 later at dealer.
Wow that sucks!

My fourth one always sincs the fastest, the first one seems to take the most time.

I wonder if the logic was messed-up in your impala, perhaps when the dealer set it they flashed it. Maybe if you did it again yourself after the dealer it would have worked for you.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
yeah got tired of trying so many time.
I could always get 3 of 4. the 4th would never sync-- it would time out.
At that time -I DID NOT have an air compressor- and got tired of popping quarters into the machine.
Or gassing up to get free air.
But the sensors were good- as they worked in any other order--

I guess youre right-- prob software?
Though never saw a TSB on this- nor any service saying software patch..
But that was a major reason for getting this tool--- after the hassle-- and quarters- and gas station etc-- Id gladly buy that tool.
Now I use it on all out GM's.

But the Impala is gone--- Next will be to try it on our Equinox.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rbarrios said:
Hehe--
well-- if they dont charge you-- and are nice to you..the service advisor will have one of this guys run to your car and do it with the tool.. and youre out in minutes...
Yep...already confirmed with my service guy: no charge, less than 5 minutes, will be done as soon as I drive in, and he threw in an apology for making come back for it.

Did I mention that I love my dealership, which happens to be located 5 minutes from my house? ;D

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
dcpmark said:
Yep...already confirmed with my service guy: no charge, less than 5 minutes, will be done as soon as I drive in, and he threw in an apology for making come back for it.

Did I mention that I love my dealership, which happens to be located 5 minutes from my house? ;D
I'm glad they still consider customer service an important policy. I just had to give out a $45.00 gift certificate for a reflexology session to a customer, we had her come in to pick up shoes last week... but we didn't have the shoes here yet, it was a mistake we made. She came in again today to actually pick up her shoes and I gave her the gift certificate. She has already booked the appointment with me, so because of our mistake, I have to 'eat' an hour of treatment time.

She was very upset with us when she left last week, but now she is very happy for the reflexology session and only slightly annoyed at the mix-up last week. She has also booked her next footcare appointment, which proves that good customer service will typically keep patients returning even after our screw-up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks to all for this post, and also to Nvr2loud for the how-to... eh.
I drive a 2010 and had the same situation as dcpmark, probably around the same time, after a rotation.
The last few weeks i have been stewing about why the (TPMS) would alarm on the wrong tire. ???
It makes me wonder about how it works though- is there some sort of wireless transmitter in the rim somewhere?

I will definitely give the procedure a go- but and does it really end with "enjoy"?
Almost makes me not want to attempt it-

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
diablico said:
It makes me wonder about how it works though- is there some sort of wireless transmitter in the rim somewhere?

I will definitely give the procedure a go- but and does it really end with "enjoy"?
Almost makes me not want to attempt it-
The wireless transmitter is built into the valve stem. Each transmitter sends a unique signal. The Acadia needs to learn which signal belongs at each wheel position. That is why the relearn is done in the order of Driver front, passenger front, passenger rear, and finally driver rear position. When moving wheels around, the Acadia does not know where the sensors have ended-up.

I drove home once with all four of my summer rims in the back of the Acadia. I had not done a relearn yet, and the sensors in the summer rims were still the active sensors. I dropped-off two of the rims at my parents house and drove away. Immediately the TPMS system warned me of malfunctioning TPMS sensors LOL. I did the relearn and all was good!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts