GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
inaccurate outside temp readout

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I never heard if GM ever came up with a fix. Mine works ok about 60% of the time, but periodically will give completely false readings. The other day it was displaying "ice possible" and showing an outside temp of 29 degrees when the true temp was over 70. When the display is showing such a cold outside temp the air conditioning will not work which can be a problem also. The last time I checked with the dealer I was told no fix was available yet.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Re: inaccurate outside temp readout

I haven't heard of any fixes for that yet. I also haven't experienced that problem. The only time mine is inaccurate is if I drive it for a while, then park it. When I get back in, the temp is usually really high, but normalizes as soon as I start driving it again. I have an odd habit of checking it against outside temps posted by Banks and whatnot on their digital signs. It's almost always right on, or within a degree either way.

Do you have an SLE or SLT?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

Craig,

The most recent update of that TSB was released on March 30, 2009. I see yours is reading low but it looks like the same fix - relocate temp sensor and now they have the tech reprogram the HVAC control module:

#08-01-39-008A: Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Display in Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Inaccurate or Reads Too High (Reposition Ambient Air Temperature Sensor and Reprogram HVAC Control Module) - (Mar 30, 2009)

Subject: Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Display In Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Inaccurate Or Reads Too High (Reposition Ambient Air Temperature Sensor and Reprogram HVAC Control Module)

Models: 2007-2008 GMC Acadia
2007-2008 Saturn OUTLOOK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-01-39-008 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the ambient temperature display is inaccurate or reads too high.

Correction
Technicians are to relocate the ambient air temperature sensor to a new location and reprogram the Heating Ventilation And Air Conditioning (HVAC) Control Module...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Charlene,

I have the SLE and mine is accurate most of the time, but sometimes will get stuck on a certain readout. The other day it was stuck on 29 degrees so my air conditioner would not work all day.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts

big bear craig said:
Charlene,

I have the SLE and mine is accurate most of the time, but sometimes will get stuck on a certain readout. The other day it was stuck on 29 degrees so my air conditioner would not work all day.
You must have a feature that I do not on your SLE because mine does not depend on my temperature read out to function. The only time the AC won't come on is if it I have it in the defroster position; I can push the snowflake button, it blinks a few times and shuts off. However, if I switch it to the vents, then I can turn the AC on without a problem, no matter the temperature outside.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

Maybe that is why mine read the temp it did:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

jsimms said:
Maybe that is why mine read the temp it did:
117, huh? Isn't that about normal for your area? ;)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

Well maybe in the middle of summer, but not in Mar :eek:; you get used to the heat after awhile :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

If I recall the option path correctly, manual AC was standard on the '08 SLE, and this was replaced with the auto AC if you had the rear DVD as an upgrade package? I know it was something like that on the Outlook XE (base model) we looked at. That could explain why BBC's is different than the Queens.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Mine got messed up after a car wash in the winter. The dealer reprogrammed it and said if i had just driven over 40 m.p.h. for 30 minutes it would reset itself? It happened a couple of times after that and i had to drive nonstop for around 30 minutes to get it to reset no stop and go it had to be over 40 m.p.h. with not stopping. ???

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

garco 57 said:
Mine got messed up after a car wash in the winter. The dealer reprogrammed it and said if i had just driven over 40 m.p.h. for 30 minutes it would reset itself? It happened a couple of times after that and i had to drive nonstop for around 30 minutes to get it to reset no stop and go it had to be over 40 m.p.h. with not stopping. ???
That seems excessive but I'm not surprised if that resets the sensor

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

garco 57 said:
Sounds like the movie Speed. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts

Yeah, our 07 has the absolute worst temp sensor Ive ever seen on a GM vehicle, its hardly ever accurate honestly, on the other hand I can jump in my company car which is an 07 Impala and its always accurate, with just the occasional sitting in the hot sun and it quickly starts coming down when you get moving, which the acadia never does. Flawed setup if you ask me and ive owned or been in many GM vehicles and they all operate similar to the Impala's temp sensor, the acadia is the odd one. Dont get me started on how the stupid thing affects using the HVAC system in the acadia, lol Lets see Impala $20-25 thousand, Acadia $40+ guess GM needs to stick to the KISS method. (keep it simple stupid) course despite all that and the leaky sunroof (which I must add my dealer was awesome at fixing before it was even an official recall) we still love our Acadia. ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts