GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I searched and believe it or not, results only came up with choosing a FWD or AWD model. So to cut to the chase, should I tow in FWD mode on my 2017 AWD Acadia so long as weather good? The manual states you can use Tow mode in FWD or AWD but that's not very clear. Did they mean 'FWD or AWD models'? So if I'm 2WD mode, and move the selector to Tow mode, is it in 2WD Tow? Same goes if I'm initially in AWD and switch to Tow mode?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
As far as I can see in the manual...
pages 239:
"AWD is active in AWD, Sport, Tow/Haul, and Off-Road modes"
and 240:
"choosing Tow/Haul mode also engages AWD mode"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Grant for replying here and on the FB group. I was reading the electronic copy of the manual and I couldn't find anything on their about about it.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
Thanks Grant for replying here and on the FB group. I was reading the electronic copy of the manual and I couldn't find anything on their about about it.
Write-ups are different in the 2017 and 2019 manuals.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yes I searched and believe it or not, results only came up with choosing a FWD or AWD model. So to cut to the chase, should I tow in FWD mode on my 2017 AWD Acadia so long as weather good? The manual states you can use Tow mode in FWD or AWD but that's not very clear. Did they mean 'FWD or AWD models'? So if I'm 2WD mode, and move the selector to Tow mode, is it in 2WD Tow? Same goes if I'm initially in AWD and switch to Tow mode?

Thanks
For what it's worth, I tow exclusively in FWD because that's what I had before I got my trailer. I've had zero issues.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
Curious, what does the '17 say?
Essentially what's stated in the first post. Page numbers are different, too. You have 'net access to it.
Font Gas Circle Badge Poster
LOL

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you have the option (which you do) towing in AWD is preferred. While FWD may be usable under good conditions on flat roads whatever tongue weight you have is reducing the weight on the front wheels. Less weight on the front means less traction for both acceleration and handling. Using AWD you at least regain some of this by utilizing power to the rear wheels - that's why 'tow mode' switches to AWD.

For you it would be simple to determine what works for you - just switch between FWD and AWD while towing and execute some acceleration and handling maneuvers - preferably when traffic conditions are safe to do so. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Observations/tips from a newbie, 1000 miles into our trip:

• Trust your own instincts that the trailer hookup has too much slack as well as the jack being too low and not your FIL's instincts that it's fine because he tows with a 3500 Dodge and you're towing with a GMC Acadia that's much lower to the ground. First dip and the the trailer lead got caught under the jack and nearly severed the wires.
  • Drafting semi trucks will save you 3-5 MPG when going 60-70 MPH on the highway. You don't have to be Ricky Bobby, but 5-6 car lengths back will work. My Yamaha RMAX4 1000 is a tall SOB and I may remove the roof next trip. I did remove the windshield.
  • Some semi trucks don't like you drafting and think you're Ricky Bobby and you should pay for your own gas.
  • The Acadia does impressive FWD burnouts. The drive mode selection system resets to FWD and won't stay in towing mode when the car is restarted. The biker behind me was impressed.
  • There's this place just on the border of Kansas/Oklahoma called Bartlesville (should be called 'Bartersville') that is nothing but a large garage sale. I bet these guys never bought a thing off of Amazon.
  • Anyone missing Florida weather, don't be dismayed. Tulsa is just as hot and humid and they have a mini Miami highway section. I was disappointed that no cars did 360's in front of me however.
  • When Google Maps tells you they 'found a shorter route and would you like to take it' they should include a disclaimer or warnings such as:

-- We've never sent anyone on this route and we are using you as a Guinea pig.
-- Did you bring your crossbow?
-- We know you like off-roading, we figured you would take it to the extreme and also do off-road towing
-- Have you ever seen the movie 'Wrong Turn'?
-- The scenery is worth the road conditions
-- We know the fuel in your spare 5 gallon gas jug is getting stale and building up pressure from being shaken on the off-road adventure we just sent you on so we chose a route where you can empty it since the ONE gas station along that route is closed until further notice.

The RMAX turned lots of heads. It looks like I should put the Acadia on the trailer and have the RMAX tow it instead as it looks humongous on the trailer. One guy at the gas station just kept staring and saying: 'Wow!'

GMC towing package did its job. Towing near 4K lb capacity, the transmission temps maxed at 180F in high 90F temps and normally ran about 165F in 80F temps. I've never seen coolant temps get to the halfway mark towing or in any other condition. I'm averaging 14 MPG for the trip but if it was all flat it would probably be 15 MPG. You have to avoid using cruise control if you want max MPG and adjust your speed/throttle to keep it from downshifting and ramping up to 3K RPM, which means keeping speeds between 65-70 MPH. I am using ceramic additives in all gearboxes and engine which also have esters.

Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
Thanks for that update. Great story! (y) I had worked a lot in SE Kansas and know what you mean about the shortest route (didn't have Google Maps back then). It's almost always not the best driving conditions, but things seen can be most interesting.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
@MassiveOverkill, one thing I learned when towing vehicles on a trailer is center the vehicle over the trailer axle. Don't put the vehicle all the way to the front. More than likely, the max tongue weight will be exceeded with most of the vehicle weight in front of the axle. That also puts the rear tires and suspension of the tow vehicle under more stress than necessary.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited by Moderator)
@MassiveOverkill, one thing I learned when towing vehicles on a trailer is center the vehicle over the trailer axle. Don't put the vehicle all the way to the front. More than likely, the max tongue weight will be exceeded with most of the vehicle weight in front of the axle. That also puts the rear tires and suspension of the tow vehicle under more stress than necessary.
Here's a side pic from when I brought it home a year ago. The engine is at the rear doors and I have about 100 lbs of gear in the back and moved my spare tire for the SxS out back (originally I had it stacked on top of the trailer spare). On the 2nd leg of the trip I'm going to fold the passenger seats flat and move all my luggage forward of the rear tires in the Acadia.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts