GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it bother anyone that the only way to transport a full size tire/wheel after changing for a flat is to store it inside the cabin? ??? I find that very annoying because on a road trip the rear of the car is usually packed with luggage and stuff. what are we suppose to do, rearrange the cargo to fit the bloody wheel? :eek:hno: The manual says that carrying a full size tire in the spare tire mount could potentially damage the tire due to the heat from the exhaust system. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this? Is there an aftermarket heatshield cover similiar to the OEM one for the donut, but would fit the full sizers?? :help:

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you had to, I guess it could go on the roof. Just strap it to the siderails.

I'd also prefer a full size spare. They don't mention anything about towing a trailer with the donut (which is typically not recommended), so I guess you are supposed to plan your flat tires for the times you aren't pulling a trailer.

As soon as I can buy a full size spare cheap enough, I may just keep it in the trailer in case it's needed under those conditions.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I guess I don't understand the concern. You make it sound like the acadia is the only car that has a temp/small spare. Almost every coupe/sedan has this issue. In fact it just happened to my wife in the middle of Wyoming, you just have to rearrange some stuff and put it in the cabin. Our vehicles always have an old blanket in them for impromptu picnics or a need to lay on the ground (I'll leave that one alone for now). So the fact that you don't have somewhere to put a blown tire shouldn't worry anyone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I am spoiled by my last two cars, both had full size spares. My first car had a donut but the spare compartment had space to hold the flat full size after the change. The Subaru stored the spare under the cargo floor and the Xterra stored it underneath the car. Both of those can hold the flat tire in the same space as the spare. I guess I am a little dissappointed and annoyed that the Acadia calls for storing the flat in the cabin rather than in the same space as the spare. For such a large vehicle one would think the engineers left some space for storing the flat outside of the car.

Mike

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
For the record, driving an Acadia with the temp spare IS NOT FUN. Here in Utah, we drive some long, isolated distances. Fortunately, the only flat I have had on the Acadia was close to home. I would not want to drive very far, even at low speeds. In future vehicles (at least SUVs), the lack of a full-size spare may be a deal breaker.

Kelly

·
Registered
362 Posts
mikehw17 said:
Does it bother anyone that the only way to transport a full size tire/wheel after changing for a flat is to store it inside the cabin? ???
Having never owned a car with a full-sized spare, no, this does not bother me. Pretty much par for the course for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kjf said:
For the record, driving an Acadia with the temp spare IS NOT FUN. Here in Utah, we drive some long, isolated distances. Fortunately, the only flat I have had on the Acadia was close to home. I would not want to drive very far, even at low speeds. In future vehicles (at least SUVs), the lack of a full-size spare may be a deal breaker.

Kelly
I don't imaging driving any vehicle with a donut is fun, still gives me the weebee geebees thinking about the last time I had to drive with a donut and that was 8 years ago. This is exactly why I want to replace the donut with a full size spare, but if I can't protect the tire from the exhaust heat somehow then it would just be a waste of money and leave me worst off than before if I should get a flat.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts