GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am currently residing in USA and have a 2017 GMC Acadia Denali that I bought in USA, brand new. I have the vehicle Title+Registration.
Now I am moving to Canada and want to import it into Canada -> British Columbia.
I have already done some research on the procedure and RIV website (Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Importing a Vehicle) seems is the authoritative resource for this.

I have ensured that there are no recalls on my vehicle.
I know I need to get a Recall Clearance letter from GM Canada for my vehicle. They have already confirmed there aren't any recalls at this point and can provide Recall Clearance letter when I am about to move (RIV needs letter issued no more than 30 days ago).

This is RIV page for Vehicle Admissibility : Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Vehicle Admissibility
This is RIV page which lists all vehicles brands whose details are available : https://www2.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/section5_4.htm
Here though Chevy, Cadillac and other GM brands are listed as separate links, going to those links, all of them point to single GM page.

GM brand vehicles admissibility guide page : https://www2.tc.gc.ca/motorvehicles...tation/usa/vafus/list2/GENERAL_MOTORS_5_4.htm

Question:
1) Why isn't "GMC" brand listed on GM admissibility page? I see all other brands. Did they just forget to include it?
2) Does that mean only GMC vehicles are not admissible? I highly doubt that. GM Canada customer care person wasn't much helpful when asked about this.
3) Based on GM Admissibility page only requirements are about (i) EIS : Electronic Immobilization System, (ii) DRL : Daytime Running Lights.
Based on "Explanations" page and looking at relevant sections, I see these requirements are met in my Acadia.
4) All requirements listed for "MPV" Multi-Purpose-Vehicle for Inspection (Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Modification and Inspection Requirements) also satisfy.

Wanted to check if anyone has imported USA built GMC vehicles (better even Acadia) into Canada (better even model 2017 or later) ? And if they faced any challenges in Vehicle Inspection (esp. done at British Columbia). I know Canadian Tires are authorized to do these inspections.
Any other tips for importing will also be very appreciated.
And please excuse me for such a big post.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
20,881 Posts
Since GMC means General Motors Company, wouldn't the designation of ALL GM vehicles apply?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since GMC means General Motors Company, wouldn't the designation of ALL GM vehicles apply?
I think so, but then one also get's confused why they mentioned all other brands and only left out GMC specifically. And this is cross-country move so need to be extra careful.

Anyways I called GM Canada a second time and this time around customer representative said they don't see any problem with GMC vehicles being admissible and haven't had any issues importing them so far.

So that seems a bit more assuring.
I plan to call RIV to confirm with them too.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I don't know much about importing vehicles. I do know you need DRL's, and a front license plate in BC (other provinces?).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know much about importing vehicles. I do know you need DRL's, and a front license plate in BC (other provinces?).
Thanks Grantv.
Yes, I read on RIV website that DRL's are required. Fortunately my Acadia has them.
Also heard from someone who imported another brand vehicle into Canada, that RIV also has requirement that DRL functionality cannot be switched off. Looking at User Manual and checking settings of Acadia, I don't think there is option to switch them OFF.

Below are other typical modifications one might need to import from USA
Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Modification and Inspection Requirements
  • Recall clearance letter <<<=== Will get from GM Canada
  • The vehicle must bear a manufacturer's valid U.S. Statement of Compliance (SOC) label at the time of import. <<<<==== I believe every vehicle has this on side of the door
  • Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN) <<<== DONE
  • Metric speedometer <<<=== My Acadia has option to switch between Metric v/s Miles
  • Odometer labels <<<=== Same as above
  • Daytime running lights <<==== Present
  • French supplementary restraint system label for airbags that require periodic maintenance <<<=== Don't think Acadia Airbags require periodic maintainence
  • Air bag equipped vehicles are required to have functioning air bags at the time of inspection. <<<=== Should be fine.
  • If the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle is less than 10,000 lbs. and the manufacture date is after September 1, 2007, it must be equipped with an electronic immobilizer system that meets Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) 114. <<<=== I believe 2017 Acadia Denali has this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts