GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new owner as well. 2009 SLT-1, midnight blue wasn't my fav but felt the price was right.

I just hope they got all those transmission issues worked out. I was starting to get depressed over in the TSB/recall/service forum. Sheesh. How about some "good" talk!!?????? lots of miles, no probs????? where are all those peopel???

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Officially i think this is my 4th post now, but just realized that I should make a new topic post to properly introduce myself. I just bought a brand new 2009 Acadia SLT-1 blue metallic with titanium interior. NO sunroof (which i've decided was a good move based on what i've been reading!).

I absolutely love the look and design of this truck!!! Soooo roomy and nice interior with awesom air controls and features!

Frankly, the overall feeling i get from this forum though, is that everybody loves the Acadia, but deep down desperately WISHES it was a better vehicle? :banghead: Is this true?

Now I'm worried. I'm scared i just spent a small fortune on something that's going to be in/out of the shop on a regular basis. HOW BOUT SOME GOOD NEWS!!?? ANYBODY got high miles and minor or NO problems?? Please??!! Would really help my spirits.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
jiggly said:
Officially i think this is my 4th post now, but just realized that I should make a new topic post to properly introduce myself. I just bought a brand new 2009 Acadia SLT-1 blue metallic with titanium interior. NO sunroof (which i've decided was a good move based on what i've been reading!).

I absolutely love the look and design of this truck!!! Soooo roomy and nice interior with awesom air controls and features!

Frankly, the overall feeling i get from this forum though, is that everybody loves the Acadia, but deep down desperately WISHES it was a better vehicle? :banghead: Is this true?

Now I'm worried. I'm scared i just spent a small fortune on something that's going to be in/out of the shop on a regular basis. HOW BOUT SOME GOOD NEWS!!?? ANYBODY got high miles and minor or NO problems?? Please??!! Would really help my spirits.
Coming up on 25,000 miles. Few recalls or TSB's only, and all taken care of properly.

All vehicles are going to have some sort of issue or problems... Forums like this only make those smaller issues more well known. Most vehicle owners would never know about some items that could be addressed by a TSB or be more widespread. I would feel pretty confident that you will be okay. They should have most of the bugs worked out by the 09's

·
Registered
70 Posts
jiggly said:
I own a 2009 SLT-2. Coming up on a year old. NO PROBLEMS. I learned a long time ago never to buy a new model vehicle it's first year of production. Give it a couple of years to work the bugs out. That's what 07 and 08 were for. Seems all of those issues that came to the surface in the first 2 years have been taken care of for 2009. Don't worry, be happy and enjoy your new Acadia. ;D :thumb:

·
Registered
53 Posts
As the others have said, you probably won't have as many problems with the 2009 as some of us have had with the 2007. I'm sure that GMC has worked through most of the issues. That said, I've had far more problems with my 2007 Acadia than any vehicle I've owned.... and that probably amounts to 20 some different vehicles over the last 35 years.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Re: NEW ACADIA OWNER INSIDE!!

Welcome also jiggly

A couple of things to keep in mind about message boards, this one in particular:
1) Many people join because they have a problem so they can get it fixed. As of today, roughly 1900 of our registered members have more than one post here. Many times a new member will join due to one issue, post about it, want an answer in under a minute, and never be heard from again.
2) Even if all 8K or so members here were actual people* and owned an Acadia, this would be less than 5% of all the Acadias sold by GMC. If every one of these people had a major problem (they don't, BTW), this would only represent less than 5% of all vehicles produced.

I equate message boards with police work in the respect that you sometimes never see/need one until there is a problem.

The transmission shifting issues mainly relate to the 2007 models. There has been reprogramming available to correct this for some time, and the 2009 models do not have this issue.

Since the oldest Lambda is only 2 model years old, you're not going to read about anyone with 200K miles on their vehicle yet. There is a thread here for who has the highest mileage if you use the search function as listed in my signature. Take some time and read the other sections and you'll see we have a great crowd here, including a few that like to talk about their Acadia and have any number of good things to say about it. See also the thread asking if the Acadia was recommended.

If you'd care to do so, please update location and vehicle info so other members can better help you. The directions are in Blues Clues in my signature.

* We've had a lot of automated/SPAM type registrations and have been working to clean them out.

EDIT
I had already replied to one of your other posts, so I split that one and my reply and merged them here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the words of reassurance! i desperately want to believe in this car b/c i do LOVE it... i think i'm just gonna have some "gettin use to it" time with the 6speed transmission. It IS different.. or messed up.. one or the other - and when i came to the internet i got a little overwhelmed with all the complaints about the tranny in 07/08 (NOT JUST HERE, EVERYWHERE I WENT i saw numerous complaints...) I fully realize people don't usually run to the internet to say "wow i love this tranny on the new acadia", they usually only bring it up if/when there is a problem. I do feel better now to hear that it appears we all believe GMC worked it out by now.

To the comment about never buying an initial year model - I agree wholeheartedly and this is specifically why i got the 09!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I have an 07 and the only major issue I had was when the Acadia was rear ended; luckily it was all repairable. I have been very satisfied with this vehicle. I have had all trans flashes done.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blue.

Fwiw, i've done nothing but read in this forum for a couple days now it seems. You're right i think there is a pretty good crowd here and some great info. I'm new here but not to the msg boards arena.. i understand it is sometimes a poor sample pool b/c of complainants that post and run. However, i will point out ... if even 1/2 of all the real people on this board had major probs (which BTW they might), that would be an even smaller percentage of the entire acadia population... BUT it could be representative of the whole acadia population meaning its reasonable to assume perhaps 1/2 (but more likely even less than 1/4 due to aforementioned peoples) of all acadias have the same problem and that this board gets an adequate and good sample of the said population. And that would be waaaayyyy too many.

And you say the 2009 models do not have this issue? That is one bold statement. The verdict isn't out yet on that one IMHO. In fact there is a thread or 2 you might want to read with comments regarding an upgrade available since March for the 2009 tranny. Yeah that sux don't it.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Overall the 09 has fewer problems than the other year models especially concerning the trans. The engine is more powerful and towing capacity is increased. I think you have made a good purchase FWIW

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ohh...

and its not just the forum that i was referring to that made me worried.. in case none of you saw a post i made in a tech/service thread about the tranny's. Mine feels very jumpy, RPMs are out of control at times -almost like they're possessed with a demon - RPMS jump on coasting/decelerating, CANNOT slowly accelerate, pedal flat in places with delay.... Same ol same ol... these are the issues that made me come to the internet and i found this site. I'm not a one poster and run person. I'm not dreaming these things up or imagining them just because i read about them and got paranoid -- i swear i had discussed each one with my wife BEFORE i ever even read a single review or found this site. Just fwiw.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jsimms said:
Overall the 09 has fewer problems than the other year models especially concerning the trans. The engine is more powerful and towing capacity is increased. I think you have made a good purchase FWIW
GLAD TO HEAR!!! Yea!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mine was built in the later half of 08 (has sunroof and seen a whole lot of rain). Owned for 18 months, have 18k miles on it including round trip from Portland, OR to Phoenix, AZ last X-mas. No major issues. Just little stuff that you'll find on ANY vehicle once you start driving it for awhile.

Funny... we are house hunting and have a hard time making a decision... got talking today about the Acadia and how that too was a major purchase. My husband said "I thought it was crazy spending all that $ on the Acadia, but I see how much you love it so that's all that matters. I don't care where we live, so long as you get the same feeling when you walk through the door." A keeper for sure!... oh and so is the hubby! :cheers:

·
Registered
53 Posts
An earlier post suggested that the majority of the posts are prompted by a problem. While this maybe true, I find that this forum like most "Brand" related forums is also partially populated with fanatics who defend "their brand" with a certain zeal and minimize or justify any problems that might exist.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hang in there i have a 2007 with only one a/c problem it was under warranty. It is everything i hoped it would be for a new class of vechile. This is a good way to find out any issues or questions Welcome :thumb:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
No issues since transmission software upgrades. 2 years old and we LOVE our Acadia. Don't believe everything you read and BLUE responded in true fashion people looking for help. Have fun in a NEW ACADIA!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I just posted a sticky thread for any that read this and what to shop elsewhere:
2009 CUV comparison- Acadia vs. the under $50K world

This has key data for the several $50K or less MSRP CUV models for model year 2009.

:soapbox:
Since I have a lot of time on my hands, I'm also considering browsing some other message boards for these sometimes thought superior models just to see if in fact they have any widespread or perceived as widespread problems. In my opinion and experience (I like things automotive and have been known to buy vehicles from time to time :)), EVERY make/model has flaws. EVERY make/model will have "growing pains" from the first model year of a new vehicle that will take a while to iron out. EVERY make/model will have some that for whatever reason are not built as well as others and will be in the shop more often.

On this forum, we tend to merge/move postings and data about 1000% more than other forums I either belong to or used to belong to. On one that I used to belong to one of the moderators made political postings at about a rate of 100:1 for every post they merged/moved (I try & keep it at 1:1 here ;)). You'd have two or three posts about the same thing sometimes on the same page, since it's a given few actually search or read posts before posting. I had actually created some informational "how to" forum-related threads there that should have been done by the staff. The end result of this is that Acadia problems/concerns are identified and the data is easy to find. We're also blessed with very few combative members, and these disputes are usually settled before they boil over.

I'll post a new sticky when I have completed the other forum research. :)

It's very easy to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you constantly think X is going to happen (we'll call it a transmission failure in this instance), it's easy for you to talk yourself into X happening and start thinking there is something wrong. We have I'll say more than one :) new members that think something is wrong with their new vehicle and post here. Had they taken the time to read the owner's manual[/color], they would have known this condition was how the vehicle was designed. I must think GM is really pissed over killing so many trees that few ever read when I see the multi-manuals/novels for new vehicles and then look at the one for my '65 Corvair and it's like 30 pages long.

Then there is the crowd that will buy a new vehicle and then perform the research on it. ??? Kudos to those that come here and take the time to learn about the Acadia and use this along with hands-on testing to determine if it is the right vehicle for them. That's one of the main functions of this board IMO. In our case, we spent several months researching the CUV market to include the Pilot, CX9, XL7, Journey, Highlander, Outlook, and Traverse when we determined a replacement for our Durango #3 was in order and we wanted a more fuel-efficient vehicle. I found out about the Acadia while on a Dodge forum.

BTW, I'm not a dyed in the wool defender of the Acadia. If you look at my postings when I first joined here, we were going to buy a Dodge Journey. The lack of decent air conditioning in the two models we tested eliminated that vehicle from consideration. I thought then and still think now the Acadia is overpriced and dislike the option/model requirements to get certain things like cooled seats. The voice command for the nav system sucks, especially when compared to the MyGig in my 2009 Dodge.

As a wise person I'm still married to once said, "You'll never get everything you want in this world." ;) EDIT I thought this over & if my Challenger had a Chevy V8 or my Trans Am had more room under the hood, I'd be about as close as I could get. ;D

When I used to build computers for people, some would always want the late$t and greate$t stuff. For those not in the know, when a new product like a CPU comes out, it is outrageously expensive. The same CPU a few months later will be like 50% less due to "faster & better" ones. My philosophy was to sell people what they needed to reliably get the job done, so as to save them some money. Why spend $3K on a system if all you are doing is word processing and a $1K system will work for you?

The same can be applied to vehicles. If you can find a vehicle that will do what you want/need it to do for $25K, why spend $40K?

OK, I'm off my soapbox and back on my meds...

Thanks teeter- you replied while I was typing. :thumb:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well, I'm gonna interject my $.02 here. As the owner of TWO of these fine vehicles (early 08 Enclave bought in Oct '07 with over 25K miles and late 08 Acadia bought in July '08 with over 22K miles) here are my observations:

- Both vehicles have sunroofs (Enclave was under the "recall" - but haven't had it fixed because it isn't broken!) and they both sit outside most of the time and I go through automatic car washes all the time with NO LEAKS!

- Only one SMALL problem between the two - had one of the liftgate hydraulic tubes fail on the Enclave.

- Enclave is head and shoulders above the Acadia in terms of "flash and bling", luxurious interior, QUIET ride and overall "pizazz". Acadia is rock solid and "professional grade" and I have no complaints.

- Transmission - DON'T get me started here......I know I will ruffle feathers, BUT.......I have NO COMPLAINTS with this transmission as built and supplied on both '08 vehicles. Neither does my wife. Does it shift more "busily" than what we were used to? YES, but what in the heck do you expect when you have SIX speeds vs. FOUR? If you don't like how early it goes into 6th gear when driving around town and under 50 mph (which does annoy sometimes) then just drive it in L with the top gear limited to 5th gear! I do this 90% of the time around town and this solves the annoyance. I even seem to think that all the gears hold longer when in L mode and the drive is slightly more "spirited".

Overall both of these vehicles are by far the best quality fit-finish, ride, reliability of any vehicle I have ever owned hands down! I would definitely buy both of them again. Good luck with your purchase and don't let the negative posts cause you to worry. If you have a failure of a component, etc then you will have something valid to worry about, but until then "enjoy the ride"!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dickf5187 said:
An earlier post suggested that the majority of the posts are prompted by a problem. While this maybe true, I find that this forum like most "Brand" related forums is also partially populated with fanatics who defend "their brand" with a certain zeal and minimize or justify any problems that might exist.
i find this very true also, here and abroad. To be expected i'd say.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
It's very easy to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you constantly think X is going to happen (we'll call it a transmission failure in this instance), it's easy for you to talk yourself into X happening and start thinking there is something wrong. We have I'll say more than one :) new members that think something is wrong with their new vehicle and post here. Had they taken the time to read the owner's manual[/color], they would have known this condition was how the vehicle was designed. I must think GM is really pissed over killing so many trees that few ever read when I see the multi-manuals/novels for new vehicles and then look at the one for my '65 Corvair and it's like 30 pages long.

Then there is the crowd that will buy a new vehicle and then perform the research on it. ??? Kudos to those that come here and take the time to learn about the Acadia and use this along with hands-on testing to determine if it is the right vehicle for them. That's one of the main functions of this board IMO.
i hope i didn't ruffly your feathers or put you atop that soap box!

Very true about the self prophecy, those are words of wisdom :thumb:, .. and thats why i was pointing out that's not what happened with me... not yet anyways and i'm being very careful not to let it happen (i've got waaaayy too much invested in this 5day old car to do this and also ruin the precious time enjoying a new ride in its young days!!).

Perhaps i wish i'd done a little more research before buying, i honestly don't know even if i had seen all that i've seen now if it would have made a difference or not though. I don't want to be perceived as one of those people that buy on a whim and then complain. Believe me, i did a lot - mostly looking at safety features, interior/exterior features, handling, seating and "roomy-ness", Price, gas mileage, convenience with kids/car seats, hands-on, what's the wife want, etc.. I knew more about the acadia's perks and features and engine/tranny, power, expectations, etc. than ANY one salesman i talked to from various dealerships (which BTW i thought was absurd). IMHO i had done what a very astute consumer would do prior to a large purchase. As you and all have said - the first couple years there are always going to be some kinks to work out - which is one problem with "researching", i.e. it might not always be that much help when looking to buy a new year model car off the lot b/c you EXPECT things have been improved and can't worry too much about the problems of yesterday's car. I was well aware of the 6speed transmission and that it would be different and was OK with it on multiple test drives, even a couple nights we had one "puppy-dogged" home for testing.

However, there is an obvious difference b/t "owner manual" type design issues, and design flaws or malfunctions. In my mind it is reasonable and justified to have an expectation that when you purchase a "pro grade" $40k car, the transmission for instance won't be hunting gears or revving, downshifting, etc. when it shouldn't. Only noticed once on the test drives. Much more since then in 300miles of driving over different terrains.

I don't know if you include me in the crowd you refer to or if i'm in the soap box you're little icon was jumping on or not, but let it be known: I did do a fair amount of research, I have read parts of the owner manual, I do understand there are some novelties per the intended design, and i'm NOT just here on the board to complain! Maybe and hopefully these issues i'm having will dissipate with a few more miles behind the wheel, but at this point it really looks doubtful. Otherwise, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE CAR :blob:

And i REAAALLY appreciate the positive comments about the acadia and the '09 model particularly. They really have given me some inkling of optimism and excitement about the new car! Sorry for all the complaints so early on in my posting career!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts