GMC Acadia Forum banner

If you have a water leak, where is the leak and do you have sunroofs?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help consolidate the water leak threads -

Sunroof: yes/no
Leak location: ie: driver seatbelt, brake pedal, passenger side a panel, 3rd row headliner, cargo area under jack compartment, etc.
If the dealer has been able to adequately solve the problem, please note that. If they have tried and tried and cannot find the source, please note that as well.

This water leak may be a deal breaker. I think I got the DVD problem solved but this one is scaring us!

TIA!!!!

Meredith

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes sunroof, yes water leaks

It would come out of the driverside B pillar around the seatbelt and clothes hook. I took it to the dealer and they found the drain hose for the sunroof kinked. It's gone through one big storm since with no leaks. We'll see how it fairs today after another big storm.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just got back from dealer, 2nd time for water leak from driver air bag front pillar and emergency brake area. The first time for repair, they said drain tube from sunroof was clogged, they cleaned out dirt. 2 days later another rainstorm, leak was much worse. Overflowed all weather mat and soaked carpet. Took it back, they said the drain was again clogged with dirt and leaves. I asked if I had to bring it in every 2 days? They said "don't park under trees" My leak occurs only when parked. One more leak and it qualifies under Florida lemon law to start the process. We are happy so far with everything else about this vehicle but would not have gotten one with sunroof if we had known about this problem. I guess they have to be parked in a garage.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank goodness we cannot afford the sunroofs!!!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just got back from 3rd try to fix the leak problem. They said they dropped headliner and sealed 4 areas recommended in TSB#07-08-57-002A. Service guy knocked on wood hoping this fixes the problem. Now we need a heavy downpour as I have not been able to make it leak with water hose. The last time it leaked I saw water come out of the emergency brake area only, the drivers air bag at the A pillar did not drip as before. I've read the theories about possible windshield or grommet leaks. Do these happen while driving in rain? I have not had a leak while driving in pouring rain that I can see/notice. Mine occurs only while parked, and it seems to take an extended rain, ie all day or night for the leak to occur, both hard pouring rain and light/medium constant rain. I sincerely hope this problem is fixed, I like to go to the dealer to look at or buy a new vehicle, but multiple trips for service isn't my prefered pastime.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Now we need a heavy downpour as I have not been able to make it leak with water hose.

Don't worry wearefla. We are in Florida, it'll get tested soon......looking at south fla on radar.

BTW has the water leak & wet carpet caused any odor problems yet? Mine was not driven for a couple of days & it did have some odor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not yet but we both know what it will smell like if left alone. I brought it in wet the first 2 times, they vacuumed the water up both times. I shop vac'd and then febreeze'd the last time, but I'm sure the insulation/pad under carpet is still damp. If I smell anything they will replace the carpet, plus you have the problem of mold.

·
Registered
384 Posts
wearefla said:
Just got back from 3rd try to fix the leak problem. They said they dropped headliner and sealed 4 areas recommended in TSB#07-08-57-002A. Service guy knocked on wood hoping this fixes the problem. Now we need a heavy downpour as I have not been able to make it leak with water hose. The last time it leaked I saw water come out of the emergency brake area only, the drivers air bag at the A pillar did not drip as before. I've read the theories about possible windshield or grommet leaks. Do these happen while driving in rain? I have not had a leak while driving in pouring rain that I can see/notice. Mine occurs only while parked, and it seems to take an extended rain, ie all day or night for the leak to occur, both hard pouring rain and light/medium constant rain. I sincerely hope this problem is fixed, I like to go to the dealer to look at or buy a new vehicle, but multiple trips for service isn't my prefered pastime.
My headliner was dropped twice. Seemed to fix leak at pillar. However, water continues to come in around emergency brake when at carwash and when parked in a pouring rain. They have replaced the cowl at bottom of windshield, but did not address the leak unfortunately.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The emergency brake area leak sure sounds like a separate issue then.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sun is out. I took my Acadia to the car wash for the first time. No leaks...I was really holding my breath on that one. However, I was pulled over on the way to pick up my kids after I got the car wash. The car wash ripped off my temporary tag...so I had to go back and get it. I just spent the past 20 minutes putting a hair dryer to my temporary tags...taped it on the inside of the rear window...so it will stay dry now. She looks really nice when clean!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a leak from the 2nd row passenger door roof rail seal.

Pat :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sounds like the 08's might have a leak issue on passenger side doors. The 08 loaner I had leaked at same spot except it was the front passenger door. My son did say he felt a drip as well and he was sitting in middle row passenger side.He thought it might have been from the AC vent. But now I'm thinking maybe not. It was real small almost imperceptable leaks unless you are sitting on that side, you might not notice it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow! We've been really happy with this vehicle, then the leaks. After the third trip to the dealer for the leak problem they dropped the headliner to perform TSB#07-08-57-002A. Got it back the next day, the first time I went to close the power liftgate with the button on the gate, it didn't work. Took it back, they kept it overnight, told me they had to order a Body Control Module, so I took it back home. Called me yesterday and said module is in. Dropped it off, then they called, said come pick it up, it's fixed. Signed for it, got my keys, checked it in the parking lot. Power lift gate would not open with fob, button on dash, back handle, it would not open at all. Another night without an Acadia. Service rep, mechanic, rental car guy all complimented me on my patience and good attitude in handling all this time in the shop (6 times in 1 month). Ours has not been as much a problem as others have described but I've got to admit I'm getting fed up. We've had rain since the headliner was dropped, but it's been in the shop both times so I really don't know if the leak is fixed.

·
Registered
384 Posts
wearefla said:
Wow! We've been really happy with this vehicle, then the leaks. After the third trip to the dealer for the leak problem they dropped the headliner to perform TSB#07-08-57-002A. Got it back the next day, the first time I went to close the power liftgate with the button on the gate, it didn't work. Took it back, they kept it overnight, told me they had to order a Body Control Module, so I took it back home. Called me yesterday and said module is in. Dropped it off, then they called, said come pick it up, it's fixed. Signed for it, got my keys, checked it in the parking lot. Power lift gate would not open with fob, button on dash, back handle, it would not open at all. Another night without an Acadia. Service rep, mechanic, rental car guy all complimented me on my patience and good attitude in handling all this time in the shop (6 times in 1 month). Ours has not been as much a problem as others have described but I've got to admit I'm getting fed up. We've had rain since the headliner was dropped, but it's been in the shop both times so I really don't know if the leak is fixed.
You need to call GM customer service and document your service visits each time and convey your frustration at having to be without your car for so many times. Make sure you tell them you are satisfied with your dealer since they contact dealer to follow up on service calls. Just helps to keep the peace. If you continue to have problems it will pave the road to a resolution so much faster. You are correct in remaining patient with your dealer. I have been the same way with mine. After all, they did not build the car. You will need them to be on your side should you continue to have issues. I love my Acadia but I would like to be able to drive it once in awhile without something going wrong. I still have water in my Acadia at emergency brake after 3 attempts to fix water leaks. Thank goodness for my garage. Seems they fixed the upper one by dropping headliner but have never been able to fix the emergency brake area. I used to live in South FL for 32 years so I know how much rain you guys can have. Hopefully you will get your issues all straightened out soon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks vic49. I called GM, they set up a file #, asked me a slew of questions. I feel they are very concerned with every customer who calls. That was last Friday. Service told me they had to order more parts to fix the rear door, so I traded in the caddy loaner they gave me Thursday(very nice, but too low for me) for a Trailblazer. I guess GM contacted them, they decided to drop the headliner again while they were fixing the liftgate problem. Viola! They discovered the drain tubes on both sides of the sunroof were installed improperly at the factory! Had to order new drain tubes! They called this afternoon (Wednesday), said everything was ready. I checked the liftgate, it worked, button at back worked! Success! Opened door to get in, headliner had black greasy thumb, finger and handprints all over the place! They are keeping it another night to do a "full detail" in their words. Also, there was water on the driver's floor mat. They said it came from the tubes! I had stressed to GM on Friday that the dealer was really working hard to please me, the problems weren't the dealer's fault. I am really being patient, but one more leak or liftgate problem and GM will get the lemon law letter required under Florida statute. By the way, they also sealed emergency brake cable, and "sop weatherstrip by hood" where the windshield gasket was loose. We hope everything is fixed so we can enjoy the vehicle!

·
Registered
384 Posts
wearefla said:
Thanks vic49. I called GM, they set up a file #, asked me a slew of questions. I feel they are very concerned with every customer who calls. That was last Friday. Service told me they had to order more parts to fix the rear door, so I traded in the caddy loaner they gave me Thursday(very nice, but too low for me) for a Trailblazer. I guess GM contacted them, they decided to drop the headliner again while they were fixing the liftgate problem. Viola! They discovered the drain tubes on both sides of the sunroof were installed improperly at the factory! Had to order new drain tubes! They called this afternoon (Wednesday), said everything was ready. I checked the liftgate, it worked, button at back worked! Success! Opened door to get in, headliner had black greasy thumb, finger and handprints all over the place! They are keeping it another night to do a "full detail" in their words. Also, there was water on the driver's floor mat. They said it came from the tubes! I had stressed to GM on Friday that the dealer was really working hard to please me, the problems weren't the dealer's fault. I am really being patient, but one more leak or liftgate problem and GM will get the lemon law letter required under Florida statute. By the way, they also sealed emergency brake cable, and "sop weatherstrip by hood" where the windshield gasket was loose. We hope everything is fixed so we can enjoy the vehicle!
wearfla: PM me when you get a chance.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
My Acadia sat outside in a heavy day-long rain. When we got in, the all-weather mat on the passenger side had standing water. As soon as we started to move, water literally poured from behind the dash onto the floor. It seemed to come from behind the glove box.

I took it into the dealer today for an oil change and other service (screen for sunroom won't retract, driver seat rail problem, rear wiper won't turn off, transmission reflash). The service guy said the leak most likely was the sunroof drain line, and they would check it out.

Kelly

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well.....after they resealed the sunroof and fixed my leak 2 weeks ago.....my wife call sunday freaking out cause water is dripping on her left foot & the brake warning lights & ding ding ding ding is back on. She was in Wally world and it had rained hard.

The service dept said GM had them pull the headliner & recheck everything out. And they would call the dealer back when they figured something out.

The dealer just called and said by accident they found a split in the drivers side A post weatherseal.

The part is on order......along with the backordered B post seat belt cover.

I live for the day that I don't have to make any more dealer trips for "fixes".

BTW: Outside car-No garage.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts