GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say next year they come out with a v-8, will the engine compartment be so different that it is impossible, or do you think i could swap engines one day.
just curious.

Thunder.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I would think that if you have the option of the v6 or v8, then you should be able to swap engines easily. I'm sure that the they won't have different production lines and different setups for each engine type.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Rollin' Thunder said:
Lets say next year they come out with a v-8, will the engine compartment be so different that it is impossible, or do you think i could swap engines one day.
just curious.

Thunder.
Why did you buy a 4500# truck with a 6 in it? Must be because fuel economy? Just curious. :confused:

·
Registered
395 Posts
In theory it should be do-able- but economically, I doubt it would make any sense.

About 15 years ago, I dropped a 1980 Buick V8 in my 1980 V6 Cadillac. The Caddy had a cracked block and hadn't run in years but the body was decent- I got it free from a friend of my dads. I bought the Buick for $100 from a girl I went to school with- The body was beat but it had a new transmission. For my swap, I needed to buy a new junkyard crossmember and have the drive shafts recoupled to match the transmission. It was a pretty big job but in the end, I doubt I spent $500 total after selling the Caddy motor, trans & Buick bodies to the junk yard. I drove the "Cadilluick" for 5 years but in the end the emissions testing is what killed it.

To swap out the engine in a modern FWD or AWD would be far more complicated/expensive- you'd need at least the engine and bell housing or transmission, motor mounts, exhaust, electronics, engine driven accessory brackets. Unless You got a complete wrecked V8 Acadia for next to nothing, I doubt it would be worthwhile.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i put about 25-30 will probably put 25 thousand miles on it a year. Lets say that it comes out next year, and they want close to 50000 for it because i might only be on the denali, and i have a perfectly good acadia, i am going to get no ware near msrp for it, and i i pay 10,000 dollars for a v-8 i still have and acadia that is already paid for because i paid cash for it and if i trade with in a year i cant afford cash so i will have car payments to upgrade to a denali.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to supercharge it. Although, I'm not sure how well V-6's supercharge.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
problem with a super charger is it only works at high rpm's (at least the ones i have installed) and they have that annoying whine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Rollin' Thunder said:
problem with a super charger is it only works at high rpm's (at least the ones i have installed) and they have that annoying whine.
You must be talking centrifugal superchargers, because a roots or Eaton type works from idle on up. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for some one to make a supercharger kit for the Acadia.

As far as engine swaps in an Acadia are concerned - and this is coming from someone who has swapped out every part in the driveline of my truck except for the shortblock - if the Acadia is offered with a V8, and you had to have it, you'd be better off trading in your current one on an new V8 powered one.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i am a mechanic for fun, so i would do the swap my self in the shop

·
Registered
133 Posts
Two points to consider -

Resale - If I was the average consumer looking for a used Acadia for reliable family transportation, would I buy the unmodified version, or the one with the home garage V8 swap? You could be the best mechanic and your swap could be functionally and visually perfect, but I would pass on your Acadia based on it being modified to that extent. For the average joe, you've lost all resale value. Heavily modified vehicles are a real tough sell. You have to find someone who wanted to do the exact same thing to their Acadia.

Or, if you never ever want to get rid of your Acadia and are dead set on doing this project -

Just speculating, but I doubt that the rest of the V6 drivetrain would be up to the task of handling the additional torque and weight of the V8 and still be reliable as a daily driver. So you might be in this for the engine, trans, axles, suspension, pcm, plus any misc relocations in the engine bay that might be required just to make it fit under the hood. At what point does this become more trouble and expense than it's worth?

I still think trading your current one for a new V8 one is your best bet.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Even if it were doable, it will undoubtedly be far, far cheaper to just trade in your existing truck for a new. V8 upgrades typically involve many other upgrade parts such as brakes, suspension, cooling, subframes etc and of course, as mentioned earlier, your resale will drop tremendously as well. Also , seeing as its supposed to be a new designed V8, there will be no supply in the market for them other than dealer price and any other v8 will likely be a nightmare in the application.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well, there is always room in the engine compartment for a tank of nitrosoxide.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Buy a Yukon instead if it's V8 "power" you need.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cravenfan said:
Buy a Yukon instead if it's V8 "power" you need.
I already have a yukon 06

·
Registered
403 Posts
Neat...sounds like short term however, it's V-6 land for the Acadia.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no acculy i am glad i made this thred becaue you guys talked me out of it, sounded way too complicated and i will just waite and see,
btw yukon is mine from now until it just wont go no more.

·
Registered
148 Posts
you should drive your Yukon and tow the Acadia with the Yukon v8.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts