GMC Acadia Forum banner

If OnStar provides turn-by-turn directions, why do you need a Nav system?

15K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  pete7919 
#1 ·
We called OnStar over the weekend to get directions to a store we were looking for. OnStar then sent us the turn-by-turn directions with voice commands and directions displayed through out radio screen. This seemed to provide all the same information provided by the navigation system, except that it does not have the fancy screen and user interface. We didn't get the Nav system ourselves, but it seems like we get all we need with the turn-by-turn from OnStar. Am I missing something here (besides a fancy color screen)?

#4 ·
the nav system is cool. adds to the future look of the acadia :thumb:

#5 ·
I had EXACTLY the same question, plus my thought was that OnStar will charge me $200 upcharge for the subscription, but always be working from a nearly current map. Whereas if I go NAV system, I have to pay probably $200 or more just for an update, after paying an extra $2k for the system.

Another difference is that I don't have to stop to use the OnStar Turn by Turn, but I do with the NAV. So in those two cases, I think that OnStar has it all over NAV.

But then last week I am riding with a salesguy who was taking some of us from work to lunch and I was watching his NAV system since I was bored with the conversation, and it dawned on me the big advantage of the full time NAV system:

I cannot read a f***n street sign until I am on top of it during my normal driving, and with the NAV system, even when you are not in a programmed route shows you the street names before you get there.

Now this of course dawned on my 8 weeks after we ordered our Acadia. So now I will go out and spend $300 on a Garmin, which isn't as snazzy, or integrated, but it is cheaper to update and I can move it between cars and to the next car as well. If the rear camera was on the NAV to begin with, we would have ordered NAV for sure.

Am I sorry we didn't order NAV, nope-- but I do see the value in it now. BTW, we do have our Acadia now, and the OnStar turn-by-turn is cool, and we will use that a lot I think.

#6 ·
If you have downloaded a route using OnStar if you hit the phone button and say "Route Preview" it will give you the next 3 turns so you can plan ahead. You can have the advisors look up any type of Point of Interest also, not just the ones loaded in the Nav system. Turn by Turn is so much easier to use, granted it isn't as cool to look at, but for the $2000 it costs for Nav, I would rather update my OnStar and have roadside assistance and vehicle diagnostics for the next 6-7 years.

#7 ·
Totally agree here. I love my Onstar turn by turn. I hate trying to look at a map when I drive.

mitchl said:
I had EXACTLY the same question, plus my thought was that OnStar will charge me $200 upcharge for the subscription, but always be working from a nearly current map. Whereas if I go NAV system, I have to pay probably $200 or more just for an update, after paying an extra $2k for the system.

Another difference is that I don't have to stop to use the OnStar Turn by Turn, but I do with the NAV. So in those two cases, I think that OnStar has it all over NAV.

But then last week I am riding with a salesguy who was taking some of us from work to lunch and I was watching his NAV system since I was bored with the conversation, and it dawned on me the big advantage of the full time NAV system:

I cannot read a f***n street sign until I am on top of it during my normal driving, and with the NAV system, even when you are not in a programmed route shows you the street names before you get there.

Now this of course dawned on my 8 weeks after we ordered our Acadia. So now I will go out and spend $300 on a Garmin, which isn't as snazzy, or integrated, but it is cheaper to update and I can move it between cars and to the next car as well. If the rear camera was on the NAV to begin with, we would have ordered NAV for sure.

Am I sorry we didn't order NAV, nope-- but I do see the value in it now. BTW, we do have our Acadia now, and the OnStar turn-by-turn is cool, and we will use that a lot I think.

#8 ·
mayersj1 said:
From what I understand is that the OnStar Turn by Turn directions won't be available to you if you go out of range of Verizon's cell/data towers.
Not true, if you orginate the route in a Verizon area, you can drive ANYWHERE because it is downloaded into the vehicle and the Turn by Turn will work.

#10 ·
kidice28 said:
Totally agree here. I love my Onstar turn by turn. I hate trying to look at a map when I drive.

mitchl said:

You don't have to look at the map if you don't want to with the nav system. She (whoever she is) will tell you where to go.

#11 ·
Boltbacker said:
...Turn by Turn is so much easier to use, granted it isn't as cool to look at, but for the $2000 it costs for Nav, I would rather update my OnStar and have roadside assistance and vehicle diagnostics for the next 6-7 years.
This is basically the same justification I had for not ordering the nav. I can see the value of having a nav system if you plan to use it a lot. I might only need 'nav' a few times a year and turn-by-turn seemed like a good option. Yes, it is more limited, but not worth the extra cost for me. Plus, it is always updated without having to buy discs. I am interested to see how it works.

#12 ·
There is more to the nav system than directions. For example, the points of interest are coordinated with the phone system so if you find a point of interest you like, say a restaurant, and you pull up the information on the restaurant, you can push the call button and the system will automatically dial the number. The system gives you a lot more that just the turn by turn instructions from On Star. A lot more choice.

#13 ·
My Verizon phone does the same thing. It talks to you, theres a screen to look at. It has points of interest, etc. I just type in my destination, sit it on the dash and go. It only costs $2.99 for a twenty-four hour period. Used it when we went to Hawaii for two weeks in February and it worked wonderful. We rented cars on every one of the four islands we went to and it worked on everyone. She never missed a beat or a turn. I have an LG which flips up, has a keyboard, speakers, and large screen to view turn by turn maps. Cant beat it.....and goes where ever you go.

#14 ·
The NAV is cool looking. Ok, all cool factor asided....

1 - The NAV provides 3 different routes to take.
2 - The NAV recalculates and formulates new directions if you make an unscheduled turn
3 - The NAV speaks the directions in advance.
4 - The NAV turn signals and distance to turn shows up on the HUD if so equipped.
5 - The NAV allows you to pick a point of interest and then shows you address and phone information.
6 - Form that info screen you can bookmark it for later use.
7 - From that screen you can make a phone call to that point of interest through Onstar.

Hands down winner in functionality over On Star turn by turn.

#15 ·
NY_Joe said:
The NAV is cool looking. Ok, all cool factor asided....

1 - The NAV provides 3 different routes to take.
2 - The NAV recalculates and formulates new directions if you make an unscheduled turn
3 - The NAV speaks the directions in advance.
4 - The NAV turn signals and distance to turn shows up on the HUD if so equipped.
5 - The NAV allows you to pick a point of interest and then shows you address and phone information.
6 - Form that info screen you can bookmark it for later use.
7 - From that screen you can make a phone call to that point of interest through Onstar.

Hands down winner in functionality over On Star turn by turn.
Thats what I meant to say :thumb:

#16 ·
Same view as NY Joe.
To add to that, elsewhere on the forum on this topic, I've noted that I have downloaded OnStar directions and used the NAV at the same time to compare. My experience is that the NAV is more accurate than the OnStar directions. Plus, my experience is that OnStar directions didn't recalculate like the NAV.

#17 ·
Ok,
1. OnStar provides 2 different types of routes shortest or fastest, you just have to tell the advisor what you would like, in fact you can punch back in if you are in a traffic jam and the advisors can reroute you around the accident,
2. OnStar recalculates also, if you go off course it will ask you to stop directions or recalculate them.
3. OnStar speaks the directions in advance just like Nav no difference. It also counts down the distance to your next turn like Nav.
4. OnStar doesn't do this YET.....hint hint.
5. OnStar has a much easier POI lookup and you can get the number from the advisor and call. Though the Nav is easier to call. Acadia is the first to have this feature.
6. You can have destinations stored with the advisors also so if you want HOME stored it will always be there. Just tell the advisor you want to go home.
7. That is nice.
8. OnStar has much better updated maps.
9. This summer you will be able to enter in your destination from your computer and when you go out to the vehicle it will already be downloaded into the vehicle. You will also be able to do waypoints.
10. There will be integration between the two pretty soon so you can use the advisors to download the route and then use the screen to see your directions. Which means you won't have to pull over to enter in your destination, or change where you want to go.

For ease of use OnStar wins hands down, I know the Nav is pretty cool, but when all is said and done Turn by Turn offers a greater Value especially for the Non Tech Savy person. But here is the great thing, if you have purchased the Nav, YOU HAVE BOTH! How cool is that.

#18 ·
I personally think the NAV makes the Acadia look cool, and as many have pointed out, it's quite useful, but for $2,000 more, I passed. I'll take my Garmin C340 over it any day. ;D

I haven't tried the onstar turn by turn yet. Sounds great from what I've read. Maybe on my next trip, I'll give it a whirl.

#19 ·
Boltbacker said:
Ok,

9. This summer you will be able to enter in your destination from your computer and when you go out to the vehicle it will already be downloaded into the vehicle. You will also be able to do waypoints.
4. In your suggestion that OnStar TurnByTurn will show up at some point in the HUD, will that be an update that I can get for my 2007, or only on future cars? And if so, would it be one I have to take into the shop to be updated.

9. Cool

New Question: How long can my route be? Can I have a waypoint with OnStar so that I go to the hotel one night and continue with my trip the next day, or do I need to make another call the next day?

#20 ·
mitchl said:
Boltbacker said:
Ok,

4. In your suggestion that OnStar TurnByTurn will show up at some point in the HUD, will that be an update that I can get for my 2007, or only on future cars? And if so, would it be one I have to take into the shop to be updated.

9. Cool

New Question: How long can my route be? Can I have a waypoint with OnStar so that I go to the hotel one night and continue with my trip the next day, or do I need to make another call the next day?
Right now the directions and information pops up on your Driver Information Center, I.T. is working on getting this integrated with the HUD, It will prob. be something on future cars unfortunately. Your route can be as long as you want it to be, you could go from Alaska to Maine if you wanted, with the waypoints it will keep it in the vehicle so when you start back up in the morning it will start right were you left off. Pretty cool stuff, and this will work with all current Turn by Turn vehicles.

#21 ·
Sweet. Sounds like they ar emaking nice progress.

However, I am a sucker for the cool factor. hehe

I would kick myself for not getting it in the Acadia for a few bucks a month.

#22 ·
NY_Joe said:
Sweet. Sounds like they ar emaking nice progress.

However, I am a sucker for the cool factor. hehe

I would kick myself for not getting it in the Acadia for a few bucks a month.
me to. but what yall said made sense but if i was thinking for practical reasons (i never do) i would just stick to the turn by turn. but my most favorite feature is that you can see the roads ahead of you and you know what street your on. when i am talking to someone i used to say next to that big farm fresh, but now i can look at the screen and say virginia beach blvd. it is really neat. i dont think onstar can do that. also if you want to sit up front and watch a movie you can.

#23 ·
Boltbacker said:
6. You can have destinations stored with the advisors also so if you want HOME stored it will always be there. Just tell the advisor you want to go home.

Boltbacker,

Great info. Will item 9 work with item 6? Meaning, will I be able to enter multiple destinations from my computer and have it stored. Then, when I call the advisor I can request one of the destinations I entered from my computer. This is sounding pretty cool. Yes, not cool looking like a nav screen, but pretty cool.

#24 ·
FRW said:
Boltbacker said:

Boltbacker,

Great info. Will item 9 work with item 6? Meaning, will I be able to enter multiple destinations from my computer and have it stored. Then, when I call the advisor I can request one of the destinations I entered from my computer. This is sounding pretty cool. Yes, not cool looking like a nav screen, but pretty cool.
Yes with the waypoint say your taking a trip to go Disneyland, you can put in the destination for Disneyland, and if you want to stop and see the Worlds Largest Ball of Twine, then your hotel, then visit the Grand Canyon, it will all be in there for you. This won't be available til June, July timeframe.

#26 ·
I used On-Star Directions and Connections twice today and FREAKIN' LOVE it! I needed to go to my tag office to get my tag after the paperwork came from the dealership, so I went online and got the address and figured I'd give On Star a try to help me find it. I called up On Star and gave them the address, they downloaded the turn-by-turn right into my radio display and told me exactly where to go. It's awesome! Considering I can get lost in my own neighborhood, this is a huge asset for me! I will definitely renew this next year. IMO, no need for nav when I have this! :clap:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.