GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was idling the car in the garage (door was open) while I was getting stuff ready for a trip (loading, moving car seat, hooking up portable DVD, etc). I probably had the car running for about 20 or 30 minutes. When it was time to go, I put it in reverse and bad things started happening. The portably DVD clicked off, the check engine and stabilitrack lights came on, and I started getting messages on the DIC about stabilitrack and traction control needing service.

After turning the car off for a couple of minutes and restarting, the stabilitrack stuff seemed to clear up. I was then able to track my DVD problem to a blown fuse (the Aux Power fuse if I remember correctly), which I replaced and it had it immediately blew again. SIDE NOTE: My GMC dealer charged me $6.00 for a single fuse!!! I was in a hurry and did not have time to shop. But I digress. By the way, the fuse blowing may have been caused by a power inverter that I was using strictly for the integrated FM transmitter. I am not 100% sure it was the cause, but that is one possibility.

I finally remembered my OnStar trial subscription and had them try and diagnose my check engine light. The first person who answered told me I had two problems. They then put on a technician who said the light was caused by the transmission control module, and that I could experience some performance issues. They said the problem was being reported as intermittent and that I should have it looked at in the next 7 days.

During the course of the trip we had to stop so our two month old could get out of her carseat (and stop screaming). We were stopped for 10 or 15 minutes, and when I started the car again, the check engine light was off and I have had no further problems.

One more thing about OnStar--all this happened around 5:30 pm. Later that night I checked my email and noticed that about 8:15 I received my monthly diagnostic email and it was showing no problems. I don't know if that means my problems cleared up, or if the diagnostic check was actually done before the problems started.

Anyway, I wondering if the vehicle could have gotten too warm doing on that idling, and if that could have been the root cause of all those problems. I haven't retried the DVD player since I replaced the fuse (again), but I am even wondering if the fuse problems are related to that.

Anyone else have any odd issues like this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
As an electronic service technician I would say that you have reversed your (+) and (-) setting on your car adaptor or you have a short in your portable dvd player. I suspect that when you blew your fuse in your Acadia, that sent a response back to the DIC stating that you have problems. Then after replacing the blown fuse everything back back to normal. If you blow your fuse again, then the problem will be with the inverter or dvd player, you have a short in one of them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The DVD player is a portable aftermarket player.

The only problem with the inverter/DVD player theory is that the DVD played while hooked up through the inverter for probably 10 minutes (while the car was idling) with no trouble. The inverter provides a 120v plug and a 12v port (in addition to the FM transmitter). We were only using the 12v port for the DVD player.

Now that I have the my third fuse installed and have a backup, I am going to try the player through the inverter again tomorrow. The only other thing I am wondering if the transmission control module still needs to be looked at.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts