GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had ice/serious frost collect on the inside of their windshield? The kind that even the defroster can't get rid of? And you need to scrape off with an ice scaper? My dealership can't find a reason for this yet it keeps happening to me.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

One time there was a light frost on the inside of my windshield and I used a credit card to scrape it off because we were ready to go. Otherwise, if I would have warmed up the vehicle first, I'm certain it would have defrosted on it's own. Sounds like you're getting an excess of moisture inside the vehicle from something... I'm surprised the dealer can't figure that out.

Do you have the dual sunroof? Some of them have issues with leaking. Perhaps that's where the moisture is coming from. You might want to add your Acadia details to your signature line (like mine) as that will make it easier for people here to help you out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
are you in a flood state? I have afriend that bought a flood car that had been reconditioned (knowingly) and he had the same issue for a while........

My guess would be to llok at sunroof'

·
Registered
120 Posts
i would think that it would be the same as if in your house.
due to the extreme cold recently (i see you are in mi, so you are probably really cold) any moisture in the vehicle turns into condensation and collects on the windows and frosts/freezes.
snow and slush left in your car could produce enough moisture to cause this.
i would not personally worry about it right now.
if it consistently keeps happening around 20-30 degrees then i would say something is odd.
[sarcasm] i am surprised your dealer did not suggest this [/sarcasm]

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Please update your signature and profile vehicle and location details. That can help answer some questions without having to ask you more questions.. Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Check around the vehicle for any wettness, even extremely wet
floor mats can cause frost inside the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same issues with my Acadia. Winters here (eastern Canada) can be brutal and wet car mats cause excessive moisture. It's less of an issue with my car (Accord). I'm not sure why ???

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have had this problem in just about every car I've ever owned. I attribute it to all the sources of moisture inside the vehicle (people breathing, wet clothes, snow on hats, snow/water on floor mats, etc.

I learned decades ago to leave the windows cracked open when I park my cars in winter.

In my youth, I parked outside. Even then, I cracked the windows slightly unless there was a major snow. That way, the humidity inside could escape without coating all the windows. Occasionally, this backfired, and new snowfall got inside onto all four seats. :D However, my opinion at the time was that it was easier to brush a light snow off the seat than to scrape all the windows from the inside. In cold weather, the rear passengers and rear window never got thawed from the heat inside!

Now that I'm an old fart, I park inside a garage. Ahh, the luxury of old age. I always open my windows overnight, usually about half-way down. It works great, even if your garage is bitter cold. No frost on the inside.

I don't think it's the car's fault. They all do it, given the moisture level and outside temperature. I could see where possibly new cars are even more prone to this, given a tight seal for climate control and wind noise.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Exactly the same problem here in Montreal. (minus 30 degrees) The moisture on the floor is the prime suspect. Keep old newspapers on the floor and change daily when wet. If you start with a nofrost on the window condition the windshield remains frost free. However once it has frosted up it takes a long time to clear and a hot car. Try turning the heat to highest setting along with max blower speed. The procedure works but it takes a little time..... Open the drivers window about one inch to let the moisture out.[/color]

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
robindcs said:
..... Open the drivers window about one inch to let the moisture out.
This is an excellent point. Remember, the A/C compressor will not come on below 40F in the Acadias. This limits the HVAC system's ability to remove moisture from the air. Its not a problem when you are bringing in fresh air to heat up, as this air will be realtively dry. But if there is already a lot of moisture in the vehicle from snow/slush etc., its going to take awhile to dry all that out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I left a window cracked open when I went for my moring mall walk and it made a great difference on the amount of moisture on the windows. Thanks for the tip. I am also trying to keep moisture off my floor mat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have to run the defroster long enough to completely get rid of the frost and ALLLL the moisture on the inside of the windshield.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Responding to a thread that is 10+ years old has to be some sort of record. :)
Yeah, it always looks kind of funny, but the problem Is timeless, so what’s the harm?

Whenever I see these complaints I wonder if it’s caused by a freak day where there was high humidity followed by a precipitous drop in temperature. All my years growing up and living in New England - never recall anyone scraping ice off the inside of a windshield! But here in the Carolinas I have experienced extreme condensation on the inside of my windshield due to all the extreme humidity down here - but no temperature drop low enough to cause it to freeze (yet).

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Yeah, it always looks kind of funny, but the problem Is timeless, so what’s the harm?

Whenever I see these complaints I wonder if it’s caused by a freak day where there was high humidity followed by a precipitous drop in temperature. All my years growing up and living in New England - never recall anyone scraping ice off the inside of a windshield! But here in the Carolinas I have experienced extreme condensation on the inside of my windshield due to all the extreme humidity down here - but no temperature drop low enough to cause it to freeze (yet).
No harm, just makes me scratch my head wondering how someone stumbles onto a 10 year old thread.

I've lived my life in the mid-Atlantic. Have experienced inside condensation but never ice.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
I've lived my life in the mid-Atlantic. Have experienced inside condensation but never ice.
Must have led a garaged life. LOL Our livery fleet suffers from frost inside the windows every harsh winter. Gets especially bad if the car's/bus's interior is still damp after cleaning it.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
An apology goes to those members 'down under' who are still dealing with winter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
16 Participants
Buzzmanb12
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing