GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife (who is 8 months pregnant) my dog and I decided to take a back road to avoid the highway traffic. We were coming up to a set of train tracks and I was slowing down before I got to them. Well then next thing I remember was getting smacked in the face with an airbag. I instantly made sure my wife was ok and my dog was ok. When airbags go off they give off a smoke, I thought that the truck was on fire so I told my wife that we had to get out. We jumped out of the truck and noticed that the Acadia was right in the middle of the train tracks !. A couple amazing girls helped us out and got my wife and dog in their car.
I was asking who owns the other car, but no one knew. Walking up to the other car first thing I noticed there were no plates on the back of the car. I walked up to the car and looked into the window and no one was in it... The morons took off !!!.

The bright side of the story is my wife and baby were fine, my dog was fine and I just had a seatbelt bruise. They caught the guys who ran and they are getting charged with everything the police could. Lets just say the only time anyone has to worry about this guy running into them is getting off the bus !.

So the police said the guy in the other car was driving far to fast, hit the train tracks and it jumped the front of their car head on into our Acadia. He hit the front driver side, took out the front bumper, headlight, ripped though the wheel well taking out the breaks, all the suspension parts, sheared off the axel, cracked the block, moved the engine back 2 inches and the driver side tire was pushed into the drivers door and was sitting at a right angle, the driver seat moved about 6 inches and twisted... Think that might be where my dog hit... Not sure though. It was a hard hit... And we walked away from it. The other car was a Lincon Continental.

Unfortunatly with GMC increasing prices and leasing not available in Canada we could not afford to get back into the Acadia. I'm now driving a GMC Envoy.

So in short, Acadia's may have their issues just like any other car out there, but when you need it the Acadia will take care of you.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
OMG! That was a serious accident. I am so glad that all of you were able to walk away with from it with no more than a bruise. It's reassuring to know that the Acadia can hold it's own in an accident.

Welcome to the forum... even if you no longer own an Acadia. Doesn't seem like you had a choice on that one.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
What an incredible story; too bad you can't get back into an Acadia; at least you know you are protected from such a violent collision

Can we sticky this somewhere to sell safety and reliability?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Glad to hear that you and your precious cargo are all safe and unhurt. Here's wishing you a turn of fate to get back into another Acadia real soon! :cheers:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was actually thinking today ... I wonder how many Acadias have been wrecked "in real life" ... how accurate that 5-star rating is.

Now I know. Thank you.

Glad to hear your wife, dog and unborn child are OK. That's the scariest thing in the world ... glad you made it out intact!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Holy smokes! I am so glad everyone is ok. I can't imagine how scary that must have been and the added worry with a baby on the way. Based my purchase off of many things, the safety of the family being an important one. Thank you so much for telling us your story and confirming what this vehicle is capable of. Sorry to hear you are unable to get back into another one at this time, but very happy you are all in good health! Sounds like an angel was watching out for your little angel. :angel:

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Wow, glad to hear your family is OK! :angel: It is reassuring to find out that the Acadia's crash rating is well earned, but sorry you couldn't get back into one. :-[ Even better to hear that the tools that caused the wreck were caught. :thumb:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK. Safety is one of the reasons we bought the Acadia, and while it's sad that someone had to experience it's safety features first hand, it's great that you're OK. And welcome to the web site, you're welcome to stay even if you don't own the Acadia anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Ditto the thankfulness for all your family being OK. I was waiting to read that a train came along & finished it off when you said it ended up on the tracks!

I see you joined in August 2007. I think this is the most interesting and amazing first post ever.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
You know the more I think about this story; the more it dawns on me that you are the luckiest family I have ever seen. The outcome could have been tragic; thankfully you all survived. Incredible

·
Registered
250 Posts
Glad you and your family are ok. An angel, or angels, were watching over you and your family.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Your story made my stomach tremble. Your experience was scary enough by itself, but I rolled my 1995 GMC Jimmy at 64 mph last July, totaling it, so I could relate from my own vantage point. The Jimmy slid 150 feet on its top, and the airbags never deployed. I was alone, came out upside down but without a scratch. GMC must build solid vehicles.

I got rear-ended once, in my 1965 MGB. My wife was with me and she was in her fifth month of pregnancy with our daughter. Everything turned out OK.

And we came within inches of being hit head-on while in my 1962 Austin-Healey Sprite while we were on our honeymoon. No damage, just a real nasty scare.

It's clear that some people's angels do keep watch, and I join you in being very grateful for that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow, glad to see you and your family are okay. GM should use your miraculous story to advertise how safe the Enclave, Acadia, Traverse, and Outlook are.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm glad you and your family are OK. Thank you for sharing this story. I was telling my son about it and it led to a discussion on how to handle accidents and what OnStar will do. He told me that he was worried about his safety and went on to tell me a story about the previous night when a car was swerving in between cars and almost knocked him off the road. He figured the car was going 100 mph. I think the Acadia being so much bigger than the G makes him feel like he can't manuver as quickly. Your story made him feel better.

Thank you,
Kym

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wow, amazing story. Glad to hear everyone is ok.

How was the experience with Onstar? Similar to the commercials?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm glad everyone is ok too. It is nice to know that the Acadia helped to protect your precious "cargo".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your messages !.

I'm glad to pass on the info. to you all to let everyone know that the Acadia will keep you safe when you need it to. It was a great truck. I had 40,000 KM on it and never had a problem. The ride was awesome, handling was awesome, even the gas mileage was not that bad !. I'm not one to get attached to my cars, but after cleaning it out I actually looked back and said goodbye... I know... sappy as hell !!! ;D

We bought a 2008 Envoy with 7000KM for $24,000 less than new. It's also a great truck, but in a couple years we will get back into an Acadia it was by far my favorite car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
WOW!!! i'm trying to picture that accident in my head and it sounds like a darn serious one... Good to know that you, your wife, baby and dog are all okay!
This is what sold me on the acadia in the first place.. My wife and I just had twin girls... When shopping for a the SUV or XUV Safety was my 1st priority!

·
Registered
154 Posts
BOBBO said:
Your story made my stomach tremble. Your experience was scary enough by itself, but I rolled my 1995 GMC Jimmy at 64 mph last July, totaling it, so I could relate from my own vantage point. The Jimmy slid 150 feet on its top, and the airbags never deployed. I was alone, came out upside down but without a scratch. GMC must build solid vehicles.

I got rear-ended once, in my 1965 MGB. My wife was with me and she was in her fifth month of pregnancy with our daughter. Everything turned out OK.

And we came within inches of being hit head-on while in my 1962 Austin-Healey Sprite while we were on our honeymoon. No damage, just a real nasty scare.

It's clear that some people's angels do keep watch, and I join you in being very grateful for that.
The front airbags only deploy when the car runs into something. In a rollover the side curtain rather than the front airbags should deploy--but only if the vehicle has them. The Jimmy didn't.

OP: good to hear everyone's okay. Sorry you couldn't get another Acadia.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts