GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just did something stupid after 12 h shift I put half jug of windshield washer fluid maybe a litter in to my Coolant reservoirs what do I do here? I did not drive it but I will have to drive it to get it to mechanic right now it’s 1am and I don’t have the means of removing any fluid in the reservoir till morning any help is appreciated thanks guys I have GMC Acadia 2013 God dam idiot I am as you can see image below this is where I put the wind Shield washer fluid

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,566 Posts
Try to take the hose off the bottom of the expansion tank (reservoir) and drain out the fluid. If there's no access to the hose there, remove it from the radiator fill neck and then try to position the hose lower than the tank to drain it that way. Get a length of hose and siphon the fluid out if those measures don't work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try to take the hose off the bottom of the expansion tank (reservoir) and drain out the fluid. If there's no access to the hose there, remove it from the radiator fill neck and then try to position the hose lower than the tank to drain it that way. Get a length of hose and siphon the fluid out if those measures don't work.
I am thinking to just siphon it out. Do I need to take entire fluid out or just whats in reservoir tank my fear is that it’s mixed inside radiator and can damage the system and if I decide to take it to the shop can I drive it to do complete flush

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I would drain the coolant reservoir and not get overly worked up over it. Windshield washer is mostly water and alcohol.

Not sure how well it plays with Dex-Cool but should be ok to drive to a shop for a coolant flush.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You have not run the vehicle, so no need to be concerned for anything other than the tank.

Get a length of hose. Fill it with water. Keep your finger on both ends so it does not drain and put one end in the tank and let the other end drop to below tank level. It will drain the tank. If there is a lot left then get a large syringe and remove the rest.

George

·
Super Moderator
20,566 Posts
I am thinking to just siphon it out. Do I need to take entire fluid out or just whats in reservoir tank my fear is that it’s mixed inside radiator and can damage the system and if I decide to take it to the shop can I drive it to do complete flush
Get most of the washer fluid out of the reservoir and everything should be alright. I wouldn't be concerned about a coolant flush TBH. A little bit of leftover isopropyl alcohol in the DexCool won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Get most of the washer fluid out of the reservoir and everything should be alright. I wouldn't be concerned about a coolant flush TBH. A little bit of leftover isopropyl alcohol in the DexCool won't hurt anything.
On a 2013, probably a good time to get a coolant flush anyway.

·
Super Moderator
20,566 Posts
On a 2013, probably a good time to get a coolant flush anyway.
According to owners manual, it's not a concern until ~150K miles. Aluminum, plastic, and rubber in the cooling system don't corrode much.

·
Registered
115 Posts
According to owners manual, it's not a concern until ~150K miles. Aluminum, plastic, and rubber in the cooling system don't corrode much.
... Or every 5 years, whichever comes first. A flush wouldn't hurt after putting the wrong solution in the tank.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys me again went to local Canadian tire it’s Canada’s huge chain auto parts store mechanic there told me not to drive the car at all because I might introduce the windshield washer fluid in to engine even thought I will empty Reservoir and fill bit of Coolant is then drive it to local mechanic for full flush Thanks guy for all the help

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One last question took the fluid out now my engine is cold did not drive it for 24 h do I fill coolant to the full line at the bottom of reservoir or to the line that say full when cold thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,566 Posts
One last question took the fluid out now my engine is cold did not drive it for 24 h do I fill coolant to the full line at the bottom of reservoir or to the line that say full when cold thanks
Use the 'Full Cold' line.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just did something stupid after 12 h shift I put half jug of windshield washer fluid maybe a litter in to my Coolant reservoirs what do I do here? I did not drive it but I will have to drive it to get it to mechanic right now it’s 1am and I don’t have the means of removing any fluid in the reservoir till morning any help is appreciated thanks guys I have GMC Acadia 2013 God dam idiot I am as you can see image below this is where I put the wind Shield washer fluid
Did the same thing on mine. I sucked the reservoir out and refilled with Dex-Cool. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys me again went to local Canadian tire it’s Canada’s huge chain auto parts store mechanic there told me not to drive the car at all because I might introduce the windshield washer fluid in to engine even thought I will empty Reservoir and fill bit of Coolant is then drive it to local mechanic for full flush Thanks guy for all the help
As others have noted, the addition of a little water (because that's really what washer fluid is) to your coolant is just no big deal. The only real impact is that you've diluted your coolant a little bit and so raised it's freeze point. The "mechanic" you talked to is full of crap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You're not the only idiot out there, I did the exact same thing on my 2011 Acadia shortly after I bought it new.

I siphoned out the tank as others have recommended, refilled the tank with the appropriate coolant and went on my way.

8 years later, the Acadia has 110K miles and I've never had any problems related to this issue. And I still haven't gotten a coolant flush as it's recommended at 150K as someone else here mentioned.

Just wanted to give you my real-world experience and hopefully relive any stress you might still have about this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just want to say thanks guys for all your help I did like you guys said just sucker it all out of the reservoir fill some in been driving for 2 weeks no issues thanks again

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As others have noted, the addition of a little water (because that's really what washer fluid is) to your coolant is just no big deal. The only real impact is that you've diluted your coolant a little bit and so raised it's freeze point. The "mechanic" you talked to is full of crap.
Yes he is he made it sound like it will explode

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Yes he is he made it sound like it will explode
He may have been erring on the side of caution. Probably has previously worked on cars where someone mixed green anti-freeze with Dex-cool resulting in Jello in the cooling system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts