GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got back from Colorado working on the new trans update that's coming and I was thinking to myself as I was driving...

The transmission is definitely more responsive now, but I'm wondering if part of that is because I know how it works and how to make it respond. For those that are the big critics out there, can you just remind me of how you're driving when you want the transmission to respond and it isn't. Are you slowly moving the pedal looking for response or are you stomping on the thing trying to get it to go? Would you say it's something in between those?

Where's the biggest lack of response? Is it trying to accelerate, passing on the highway, maneuving in city traffic, climbing a grade or something else? All of these are improved, but maybe it's something else that really bothers you?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well,

I would say the biggest annoyance is when I am driving at about 40 miles per hour and want to change lanes or just speed up.
I press the gas pedal, and I dont stomp it, just feed it,
The car hesitates, feels like it switches into neutral for a second than the rpms shoot up and the car kinda lurches and than goes.

I have tried to step up the acceleration slowly but I find the tranny favors the lower gear, providing very slow acceleration. Thats probably the most frustrating part when driving.

And when on a steep incline, it feels like the engine and tranny arent powerful enough unless its in manual mode.

It seems like the engine power is governed when in Auto, and Im driving an SUV with a 4 cylinder in it.

I hope this helps,
J.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I agree with Joey. I have gotten very used to the trans and it doesn't bother me - except as Joey says. If something comes up that I didn't anticapate and if I am in that 40-50 mph range, its either a long slow increase in speed or I just stomp on it. Of course, since I installed my magnaflows, I tend to be stomping a bit more anyway ;D

By the way, I'm glad to hear about the work in progress. You all are really trying to please :cheers:
But its gotta be tough - whats that old saying that you can please some of the people all the time or all the people some of the time

·
Registered
524 Posts
As stated the biggest lack of response is at about 50--60mph changing lanes to a traffic flow that is around 65--70 mph. The amount of pedal movement needed to get the right shift is far greater than when traveling at lower speeds. Also on steeper grades it has a similar dynamic. As for other accelerator initiated shifting I find that I have learned what it takes, and where those shifts occur after putting 3500 plus miles on the Acadia. After having the Sierra Denali with the 4/10 6000 Vortex it took a while to relearn the power train of this Vehicle, but really, I feel the improvements needed are quite small after the first re-flash.

As an aside I have a question. If after this new flash I decided I liked the one I have now, can I go back to it? Will my service department still have access to it?

Thanks for the good work, Dan

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have the same experience climbing a grade yesterday. I needed to stomp it to keep moving unless I wanted the mini cooper close behind me to help me get through the climb.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The reason the transmission shifts like it does is because its trying to get good gas mileage. We are getting better gas mileage than any other eight passenger vehicle in the world.

·
Registered
133 Posts
lzwhb2 said:
Where's the biggest lack of response? Is it trying to accelerate, passing on the highway, maneuving in city traffic, climbing a grade or something else? All of these are improved, but maybe it's something else that really bothers you?
You've just hit on my sore spots! It feels like I'm going to get creamed trying to merge onto these highways with very short merge lanes, or to quick duck into the next lane in city traffic (Showing my bad NJ driving tactics, but it's a jungle out here). Need some one to try it out in heavy NYC Metro traffic :angel:??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I've seen so far from the comments posted makes me think you'll all be much happier with the new update. You might actually have to re-learn how to drive the vehicle somewhat. You may run into situations now where you'll be getting more response than you were expecting. Maybe that's what everyone wants anyway?

There still might be situations you'll encounter that the response isn't what you were looking for, but hopefully those should be the exception rather than the norm after the update.

Please keep the comments coming.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I haven't noticed the 40-45mph lag in some time. But I think I just learned to drive around it.

The only thing I notice now is, say I slow down or stop to make a turn into cross traffic, sometimes (not every time) the Acadia just doesn't want to get up and go unless I really give it some gas and even then it hesitates before revving the engine and deciding to go. This kind of pisses off the people I just pulled out in front of, so more often than not, I try to make sure there's no traffic before I make my turn.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I used to have an Explorer which does the same thing..it is somehow part of the RSC (roll stability C???) feature that prevents the car to flip over on a turn.
Not very much on the Acadia, though.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
kram, I understand where you're coming from. Just to further clarify, it's after I've already completed the turn and am heading straight that the Acadia has difficulty accelerating. I'm not one to whip an SUV around turns and corners. ;D

·
Registered
59 Posts
lzwhb2 said:
What I've seen so far from the comments posted makes me think you'll all be much happier with the new update. You might actually have to re-learn how to drive the vehicle somewhat. You may run into situations now where you'll be getting more response than you were expecting. Maybe that's what everyone wants anyway?

There still might be situations you'll encounter that the response isn't what you were looking for, but hopefully those should be the exception rather than the norm after the update.

Please keep the comments coming.
Very much looking forward to the new update!!! Will it have a 'version number' so it will not be confused with the first update? In case I missed it, when is the anticipated release date? Many thanks ...

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd say my biggest gripe (and it's not really that big a deal) is the 40-50 mph moderate acceleration. It seems that the pedal has to go almost to the floor before it does anything.

Another funny thing is 2nd gear seems fairly weak. For example, make a right turn from a stop onto a street. With constant moderate pedal position, 1st gear pulls pretty strong, it shifts into 2nd and seems to loss a bit of acceleration, shifts to third and starts moving again. Maybe it's just me or the way the gears are spaced but acceleration seems to drop off on the 1-2 shift and pick back up on the 2-3.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sounds like the next tranny update will change many scenarios we've been noting. I'm with those who feel it doesn't downshift fast enough going up hills. I must explain that we're weekly driving up and over a mountain on a 2 lane road with up to 9% grade. If it would downshift faster going uphill, that would be great. I certainly don't mind using L and +/- tap range in this situation because I'm so used to either manual in our VW or the tap gear in the former Audi.

Will the next update change the way the automatic gear hold when going down steep grades in D acts as well?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’m getting used to the transmission and with 1500 miles on the car, it’s getting more responsive probably because the engine opens up.
But I still notice all the time when I accelerate slowly, transmission stays around and shifts between 2500 and 3000 rpm and after 35 mph it drops to or below 2000 rpm. Looks like it is just skipping a shift completely. Since most streets around my area are 45-50 speed limit, it gets annoying lack of power from 35 to 45 mph.
And a slightly better response from transmission when the car is going uphill would be nice too.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Dede said:
But I still notice all the time when I accelerate slowly, transmission stays around and shifts between 2500 and 3000 rpm and after 35 mph it drops to or below 2000 rpm. Looks like it is just skipping a shift completely.
This isn't the first time I've seen someone post about shifts around 3,000 RPM. My Acadia doesn't reach 3,000 RPM unless I deliberately stomp on the gas pedal. All my shifts, regardless of speed, take place at no more than 2,500 RPMs, barely that even... closer to 2,000. I've been paying closer attention to them lately. By the time I reach 45mph, it would seem that my transmission has shifted at least 5 times.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I agree with Web Raven, unless I'm in L +/- tap range mode and am using that mode to climb the mountain. Then I get above 3K RPM easily.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This vehicle seems to only accelerate with RPMS above 3000, on hills you defintely need to have 4000+ to accelerate. On this issue, I feel that I have become familiar to how to control the speed of the vehicle, I do not notice the lags as much as I did in the past. I do a lot of driving on hilly roads and I think I got used to having to press the gas pedal much further than in other vehicles. This aggressive driving technique is not good for MPG, I am averaging only 16 MPG with my daily driving (mostly on hills).

I feel that either way, with a reflash and losing 1 - 2 MPG or keeping as is an having to use more agressive pedal control my MPG will remain the same. If I had a say I would go with the re-flash that lzwhb2 is working on.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
It's apparent that the Acadia responds differently for each of us depending on the type of terrain we drive daily. Mine doesn't see 3,000 RPM unless I'm making an effort to pass somebody (or catch that yellow light... :angel: ).

I'm in Illinois... we have little to no hills... with the way my Acadia's transmission is now, I get 18-19 around town and 24 highway. If a future update is going to make the MPG worse, I'll pass on it. I'm quite pleased with my MPG and can live with how my trans operates as it is.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
don willems said:
The reason the transmission shifts like it does is because its trying to get good gas mileage. We are getting better gas mileage than any other eight passenger vehicle in the world.
That's great.

However, it shifts like a pig and is not suited for Metro NY type driving I feel. The way I have to drive to get my response I lose the extra MPG I would save.

There has to be a middle ground between responsiveness and MPG.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts