GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up turn by turn to come to Paramas, NJ from Washington, DC. I was happily being directed by On-Star turn by turn. Then about 30 minutes south of Paramus, On-Star told me that they could no longer see my car and could not give directions. I connected to the On-Star rep and they said they could see me, and give me verbal directions recorded into the car, but could not download the turn-by-turn directions. I was not clear as to why they could not download directions. I will attempt to find out and re-post.

Thank God I have a Verizon phone and was able to quickly activate VZ Navigator and got spoken directions right to my destination.

Bottom line is that while I love On-Star Turn by Turn and they way it works when it works, I doubt very much that I will pay the $9.99 per month. Especially when I have my VZ Navigator on the phone I can use in a pinch.

PS: I just ordered a Garmin 660 for $314 w/free shipping from Amazon. I bet that I will end up liking that more than turn by turn on-star anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Turn-by-turn has tried to direct me into a few empty fields and prompted me to turn left in the middle of a bridge, but when I am in an area covered by it, I use it quite a bit. I'm due for renewal in August... don't know if I'll renew yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I contacted tech support today after getting into an area where it worked before. They said they needed to look into it and would get back to me within 5 days. I'm glad I have my Verizon VZ Navigator on my phone. It has been wonderful. I have actually used it enough know to know I like it much better than On-Star. I doubt very much I will renew the turn by turn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
GAR said:
I contacted tech support today after getting into an area where it worked before. They said they needed to look into it and would get back to me within 5 days. I'm glad I have my Verizon VZ Navigator on my phone. It has been wonderful. I have actually used it enough know to know I like it much better than On-Star. I doubt very much I will renew the turn by turn.
The software that powers Onstar Turn By Turn and VZ Navigator are the same and made by the same company. They are tuned differently, but should give similar directions.

The reason that the operator could not see your position on her map was probably because your vehicle did not have a good GPS fix at the time.

I work in the mapping software industry in case you were wondering....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
I had the same problem with onstar turn by turn as well only when it happened to me we were evacutating the gulf coast due to an incoming hurricane and really needed the directions. Onstar was unable to give us turn by turn because they were so busy according to the operator. I think it is crazy that they couldnt give directions by turn by turn during times of a crisis. Thats when their customers need them the most. I have also had destinations that I couldnt get turn by turn on before because the cell service was spotty in the area. I canceled the turn by turn in both my silverado and my Acadia and bought a Garmin. It works much better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
I used my free turn-by-turn yesterday on a trip from Chicago to Ohio. It worked as I expected. But, it completely takes over the DIC display - except when we were on the Indiana Toll Rd and the next turn wasn't for 130 miles. At first I was ok with this until I noticed that when you have an active TBT, the DIC doesn't display the phone number you're calling (using the OnStar calling feature) - even when the next turn is 130 miles away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Tim said:
I used my free turn-by-turn yesterday on a trip from Chicago to Ohio. It worked as I expected. But, it completely takes over the DIC display - except when we were on the Indiana Toll Rd and the next turn wasn't for 130 miles. At first I was ok with this until I noticed that when you have an active TBT, the DIC doesn't display the phone number you're calling (using the OnStar calling feature) - even when the next turn is 130 miles away.
Interesting ... The TBT (and even the OnStar calls) don't appear in the DIC for me. They show up only on the radio display (which is fine with me ... I like that very much.)

I've got the DVD entertainment radio, *non*-Nav. (Option UVA)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
dmurphy said:
Interesting ... The TBT (and even the OnStar calls) don't appear in the DIC for me. They show up only on the radio display (which is fine with me ... I like that very much.)

I've got the DVD entertainment radio, *non*-Nav. (Option UVA)
Yes. I have the nav radio. I wonder - if you replaced your radio with an aftermarket, were would TBT and OnStar phones numbers show up then?
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top