GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some chores around the house earlier today I decided to pay a little attention to my Acadia. I grabbed the spray bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax and a microfiber cloth and proceeded to apply the wax to one of the front fenders, wiped it, and then did the same to the other front fender. When I returned the bottle to its storage shelf I noticed it wasn't wax at all, it was Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner. Both products are in very similar black spray bottles and I'd failed to notice which one I was grabbing. As far as I know, there aren't any other idiots in my family.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
So what is the damage? did the leather product do anything to the bumper?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jsimms said:
No damage that I'm aware of except to my pride. I didn't let the spray get on the bumper, just onto the awesomely beautiful Red Jewel Tintcoat paint on the fenders.

·
Super Moderator
21,734 Posts
Not to the bumpers, but he has the smoothest, cleanest and most subtle fenders of anyone in this Forum. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
BOBBO said:
jsimms said:
No damage that I'm aware of except to my pride. I didn't let the spray get on the bumper, just onto the awesomely beautiful Red Jewel Tintcoat paint on the fenders.
Since we're on the subject; I did something stupid to my Envoy. I let this story out because I have anonymity of the Internet to hide behind :thumb:

Anyway I was preparing for a trip so as I always do; I started checking the various fluids in the engine area. Everything was good except for the brake master cylinder; which was still in the good range, but hey I thought a little top off wouldn't hurt. Well what hurt was that I added power steering fluid to the brake system and maybe 2 tablespoons at that. I took about 1,000 miles before the right front brake locked her up on the highway going 75 :eek: Yeah I was a little confused; luckily I got it to my brother in laws and between the two of we determined that I had contaminated the brake system. We did an exhaustive bleed (went through almost a gallon of brake fluid) and drove it home without incident. Took the Envoy to the dealer and had the brake system flushed and replaced the master cylinder. Talk about a dumb move :p

EDIT: Corrected my story; thanks GAR :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
i can do everyone one better... NEVER EVER grab your contact cleaning solution instead of your wetting solution.... No permanent damage, but did require a trip to the ER...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
jsimms said:
BOBBO said:
jsimms said:
Since we're on the subject; I did something stupid to my Envoy. I let this story out because I have anonymity of the Internet to hide behind :thumb:

Anyway I was preparing for a trip so as I always do; I started checking the various fluids in the engine area. Everything was good except for the power steering; which was still in the good range, but hey I thought a little top off wouldn't hurt. Well what hurt was that I added brake fluid to the power steering and maybe 2 tablespoons at that. I took about 1,000 miles before the right front brake locked her up on the highway going 75 :eek: Yeah I was a little confused; luckily I got it to my brother in laws and between the two of we determined that I had contaminated the brake system. We did an exhaustive bleed (went through almost a gallon of brake fluid) and drove it home without incident. Took the Envoy to the dealer and had the brake system flushed and replaced the master cylinder. Take about a dumb move :p
I'm confused. How did putting brake fluid into the power steering system mess up your brakes?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
See my corrected post above :sosad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
so, i have to say THANK YOU TO ALL "stupid thing doers"! I REALLY needed that laugh so early in the week :)! I've been there and done that... I decided that getting the bug guts off of my headlight covers lightly rubbing with an abrasive sponge was a good idea. yea, not such a good idea...

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
One of the car magazines I used to get had a section every now & then with stupid stuff done involving car repair. I can't recall the exact story, but it had something to do with moving a car w/ no brakes home. There was a grade involved and at some point the car took off & there was a foot chase.

·
Super Moderator
21,734 Posts
speleos said:
Not to the bumpers, but he has the smoothest, cleanest and most subtle fenders of anyone in this Forum. :cheers:
Make that supple fenders! Sorry.

·
Registered
614 Posts
There was a Detroit Tiger baseball player who once washed his car using a 3M scratch pad to get all the dirt off, he said it looked great until it dried.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
speleos said:
speleos said:
Make that supple fenders! Sorry.
That's even better. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
mrvids, my headlight covers NEVER looked good. They looked like the fogged no-see through glass you get for privacy, just for my headlights. But I apparently didn't learn my lesson. In the same wash, I decided to remove the walking advertisment stickers that my dealer pasted to the back of my car to tell those tialgating me just where I purchased my ride. Well, the area where I decided to remove the leftover sticky goo didn't fair too well after being attacked by my abrasive sponge. So soon after that unfortunate encounter with the sponge, my ride was spoiled with new headlight covers and a minor paint job. PS, this damage was done to an older vehicle, NOT to my precious Acadia, she gets only the best of spa treatments!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts