GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 GMC Acadia SL Black, upgraded for towing 130,000 or so miles
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HVAC system stopped selecting different modes and was stuck blowing on my feet. I know this is normally a blend door (actually a mode door in this case) going bad so I got a new one. Dropped the glovebox and got it out of the way. Found out it will snap off it's hinges and can be completely out of the way. Removed the bottom panel. Removed the console side cover. Just have to remove the actuator screws. Here comes the dumb. At 70 years old I'm nowhere as flexible as I once was and the eyeballs are shot so I had to work by feel. Stick my arm in (d**** those sharp edges) and remove a screw. Root around and got another. And another. But the actuator isn't loose. Wait, here's another screw. And a couple more. Should only be 3 but - and then the actuator, a couple of plastic plates and gears and arms fall on the floor. It's the actuator for the doors that the other actuator actuates I guess. So, does anyone have a diagram, picture or whatever of the actuator actuator? And what exactly is it called? I think I have it reassembled right but I need to know how the arms attach to the doors, they look like they have little V's cut in them for timing maybe? Can it be reinstalled with the actuator attached? Oh, and I tested the old actuator by turning the ignition on and selecting different modes. Nada. The new one does move so my diagnosis was correct. It was the execution that was buggered up.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
"Actuator" seems good as a search keyword. Here's a picture posted to this forum by someone a while ago. Use the part number on the label (either ACD or GM) to search the 'net for other pictures. Also, you might find something helpful on the Enclave and Traverse forums.
Font Material property Gauge Gas Electronic device

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Actuator" seems good as a search keyword. Here's a picture posted to this forum by someone a while ago. Use the part number on the label (either ACD or GM) to search the 'net for other pictures. Also, you might find something helpful on the Enclave and Traverse forums.
View attachment 11517
Uhm, thanks. I've not had a problem finding the, let's call them electromechanical actuators like the ones in your picture. Doing a google search brings up tons of images. Unfortunately that is not my issue. The mechanical plastic unit with gears and levers that the electromechanical actuator bolts on to and what actually controls the doors is what has come apart and I've been unable to find any info. I'll keep searching.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
... The mechanical plastic unit with gears and levers that the electromechanical actuator bolts on to and what actually controls the doors is what has come apart and I've been unable to find any info. I'll keep searching.
Only other source I could point out to you is the service manual. It might have some diagrams in the HVAC section. The manual is available for download on the forum. Any model year of the Lambda platform would be OK. The HVAC system hardly changed at all during that production run.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. That might be very helpful. I'll try to find it.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
Thank you. That might be very helpful. I'll try to find it.
Keywords "service manual download" in the search box should get you there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I snagged a copy and spent a few hours searching it. Nothing. As close as I get is how to remove the HVAC module but there are no good images of the it's right side where this thing is located.. I think I can get the unit back on it's mounting posts but I can't see where the control arms connect to the doors. They have teeth on the ends so they have to mesh in somehow.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
Guess it will be a lot like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an FYI about this. I finally got the mess back together again. After a lot of trial and error I got the "control arm" unit timed correctly so turning the input shaft that the actuator moves makes the arms move up and down with no binding. I have no idea whether the "control arms" teeth are meshed correctly with the doors or whether the door positions might have moved. It is totally impossible to see or even feel any of this without removing the entire dash, which ain't happening. The good news is that I have air flow from the upper dash vents now and switching to defrost mode blows on the windshield. Got cold, got heat. The bad news is that in dash mode some air still blows from the foot position and switching the control to the foot position doesn't do much. The air flow is also not as strong as I think it should be in any position. That's why I think the doors were not properly aligned. I also thought maybe calibrating the actuator would help and looked for information on how to do it, both here and on the web. There is nothing in the service manual except a note to do the calibration but not how are where to go to get the information. What a rabbit hole that is! So much conflicting info! I settled on 2 methods to try. Started the engine, cycled through the modes and let the Acadia run for 3 or 4 minutes. Shut it off and then pulled the HVAC fuse for a minute (which is really hard to get to if you didn't know lol), turned the ignition on without starting and let it sit for a few minutes. Turned the ignition off and then started the engine. No difference. Didn't hear anything move, made no difference. Did the same thing but disconnected the battery negative cable. Again, no difference, nothing to indicate the actuator is doing any calibrating. Any idea what I'm missing here? Should I be able to hear the actuator calibrate? Thanks for all your help, it's a scary world under that dash.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
... There is nothing in the service manual except a note to do the calibration but not how are where to go to get the information. What a rabbit hole that is! ...
That's because it's a scan tool function. You'll find DIY instructions about how to do it without a scan tool if you search the forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like it's the end of the road then. I have an old scanner but it has no reset functions. I've searched this forum as well as the Enclave forum and all over the internet with as many variations of "calibrate blend door actuator" as I can think of and all I come up with is some variation of pull the HVAC fuse or disconnect the battery which I've done. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts