GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
i have decided a while a go to install after market radio (Kenwood ddx 8019) in my beloved Acadia, i have also installed external GPS device, bluetooth and rear camera, i am very happy with everything so far, but after seeing the technician cutting all these wires in the back and making a huge mess (the guy has cut every wire back there) it got me concern if i have done the wise thing as i am concern if something could go wrong in the near future (i.e short circuit, computer goes down...etc) caused by heat climate as i live in very hot area.
my concern is, should i be worried of these things? are they easy to be fixed? finally if any of new devices got broken are they easy to be replaced by another technicians?

these questions could be dulls but it's my first time doing this and i just want to be assured as i am having second crazy thoughts of returning everything back to the way it was.

thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Hearing every wire was cut raises a red flag for me.

I did a similar install with a Pioneer nav/BT/rear camera on my 1991 Dodge Daytona. I looked up the DDX8019 and see it requires add-on modules for GPS and Bluetooth:
Navigation Ready: KNA-G510
Bluetooth Hands-Free Ready: KCA-BT100

Breaking it down wiring-wise:
Nav unit:
Tech should have used an adapter (i.e. Scosche or Metra brands) that plugs in to the GM harness to adapt power and speakers (audio out). GM antenna may need a plug-in adapter.

GPS module KNA-G510:
Link cable & GPS antenna cables are self-contained and plugs in directly to the head unit and GPS module respectively.
Four wires connect to the vehicle:
Ground
Ignition
Battery
Parking brake
These should all have been tapped into existing wires, not cut. A good installer would tap into the head unit's harness so as not to disturb the vehicle wiring.

Bluetooth module KCA-BT100:
Microphone plugs into unit.
Interface cable plugs into head unit.
No wires need to be tapped or cut at all.

Camera (? what brand, this is generic based on my experience):
Power and feed cables- power would usually be tapped (spliced into, not cut) so camera is activated with back up lights. Feed cable is self-contained like the GPS and would not require any wiring harness interface.

In summary, from my reading the manuals for your unit, I'd see where the installer would need to tap (not cut) into a total of 4 wires plus create a grounding point for 2 others. Wire taps are items commonly used by installers for alarms and other aftermarket stuff so wires don't have to be cut:



If your installer cut wires, I'd take it back and see their boss about repairing your wiring harness. Properly fixing a cut wire means stripping the ends, soldering it together, and covering it with a quality heat shrink to protect it. This is relatively easy, but tedious.

Stuff like this on an electronics-heavy vehicle like the Acadia can wreak havoc down the road. I had some extra lights added to a 2003 Impala and the turn signal quit working on one side- the fuse blew. Turns out the ground screw he used was too long and nicked the power feed for that side. Shorter screw & a harness repair and it was good as new.

Good luck!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
sami3000 said:
hi all,
i have decided a while a go to install after market radio (Kenwood ddx 8019) in my beloved Acadia, i have also installed external GPS device, bluetooth and rear camera, i am very happy with everything so far, but after seeing the technician cutting all these wires in the back and making a huge mess (the guy has cut every wire back there) it got me concern if i have done the wise thing as i am concern if something could go wrong in the near future (i.e short circuit, computer goes down...etc) caused by heat climate as i live in very hot area.
my concern is, should i be worried of these things? are they easy to be fixed? finally if any of new devices got broken are they easy to be replaced by another technicians?

these questions could be dulls but it's my first time doing this and i just want to be assured as i am having second crazy thoughts of returning everything back to the way it was.

thanks
I tend to agree with Blue; this vehicle is power intensive and cutting wires instead of tapping into them is probably not the best idea. Sounds to me like the installer either is inexperienced or doesn't care enough to minimize the intrusion into the electrical system. Hopefully things work as advertised and there aren't any associated problems
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey Blue and jsimms,
thanks alot for the thorough explanation,
reading the above made me think that i have made huge mistake, unfortunately i had the system installed in another town while visiting my parents, so going back there is not an option for me, right now i have everything working properly but reading what you wrote i am thinking to return back to my old system, i think that will make me sleep at night even though i would be giving up on nice features.
where i am the dealer will void the warranty if they find out i have installed the new system which is risky, and since i am not expert in this area would you guys recommend going back to the old system or keep the current one? i know Blue stated it could cause problem down the road. I already made my mind to return to the old system, i just want to know what would you recommend.
thanks again for everything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
You may or may not have problems down the road. If everything is working as it's supposed to now, there's little to worry about other than having a taped connection all of a sudden ground out. I also doubt the dealer will automatically void the warranty just because you have an aftermarket system installed. I think the only way it would void is if it somehow affected other parts of the vehicle.

Rex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
The dealer will be all over an after market installation like that if anything even remotely related requires repair. Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Re: I have installed after market radio NAV but i am frightened!

Based on your circumstances, you may be better off not doing anything unless the place will give you a 100% refund and do a proper repair (which is unlikely if they cut wires in the first place). On a major purchase like that, it is helpful to research it beforehand, and often better in the long run to pay a little more to get the work done by a quality shop that will stand behind any installation.

As for voiding the warranty, there is a federal law known as the Magnuson-Moss act (effective 1975) that prohibits manufacturers from denying a warranty claim based solely on an aftermarket part being used, unless the part can be shown to be the direct cause of the failure. Here is a link for reading:
Wikipedia: Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Relevant part:
Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions, and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

Example:
If your tail lights quit working, unless the dealer can show it was specifically due to the stereo installation (which in your case maybe they could?), they are covered under the normal warranty.

I'd lean towards keeping it as is based on your stated circumstances. Maybe you could find a local installer with good references to look it over & see what they suggest. Worst case, if they think it will fail or cause other problems soon, you may be able1 pay them to repair the wiring and do a correct installation. Best case, they may determine nothing was cut, but just looked that way to you when the wires were apart for the installation and the proper taps/splices were used. Think of it like a second opinion from a doctor.

1 Some places will not do any work on someone else's install or repair.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
sami3000 said:
hey Blue and jsimms,
thanks alot for the thorough explanation,
reading the above made me think that i have made huge mistake, unfortunately i had the system installed in another town while visiting my parents, so going back there is not an option for me, right now i have everything working properly but reading what you wrote i am thinking to return back to my old system, i think that will make me sleep at night even though i would be giving up on nice features.
where i am the dealer will void the warranty if they find out i have installed the new system which is risky, and since i am not expert in this area would you guys recommend going back to the old system or keep the current one? i know Blue stated it could cause problem down the road. I already made my mind to return to the old system, i just want to know what would you recommend.
thanks again for everything
My whole issue with this is the cut wires; which are already cut. Switching back could make a problem appear. If it were me; I would leave the system intact and hope for the best
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,763 Posts
jsimms said:
My whole issue with this is the cut wires; which are already cut. Switching back could make a problem appear. If it were me; I would leave the system intact and hope for the best
Be afraid.....be VERY afraid.

A F**d dealer laid some 'not warranty' BS on me when the 'Bago broke on its' maiden voyage. The starter stayed engaged and burned itself out after I parked and set-up under a tree in rural WV. F**d Customer Service had the RV towed from the back country near Terra Alta, WV to a dealer in Columbia, MD (roughly 210 miles). The service a**hole told me it was going to be customer pay to replace the starter and transmission range sensor since they didn't "do Winnebagos." The RV only had 1400 miles on it!!

F**d Customer Service did NOT understand why the dealer was being so obstinate and insistent that they wouldn't do the work under warranty. And this was even when FoMoCo issued the dealer a warranty repair code and gave them carte blanche to get my vehicle repaired. The Customer Service rep. in Detroit was more perplexed than me.

Well, I picked up the RV, paid my $1,000.00+ bill, "saluted" everyone as I left, and went through the coach with a fine toothed comb. What I found was the "butcher job" they did on cutting/splicing wires, replacing parts without all the bolts holding things in place, and to top it off, strategically placing a few cheap tools set to lodge themselves into various electrical and mechanical parts in the engine compartment.

I remember to this day that "at F**d, quality is Job 1."

Please folks, if you must modify your ride while you still have a warranty policy on it, have the work done at your dealer. That way the workmanship on the install is their problem should it fail or cause you other problems.

:soapbox:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
That brings back some unpleasant memories speleos! When I was a line supervisor, I got to "take care of" the bills for car repairs for our agency, so I was the one to pick up and inspect the cars before paying. In addition to the missing motor mount bolts & cracked oil filter housing I shared in another thread (I see you have the same car brand screening software I do ;)) another F**d dealer left some hand tools on top of the intake manifold when I went to pick the car up. I was kind enough to return them. Then there was the guy at a Goodyear dealer (mandated by state contract) that tried to take my battery cable loose with a pair of vice-grips. I opened the trunk and pulled out my toolkit and got the correct size wrench to loosen the cable. Hey, it was closer than his toolbox. :(

Good point about the dealer for warranty coverage should the repair fail. I doubt some would install an aftermarket radio though. Good installers are usually like good body shops- sometimes you have to find them via word of mouth.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,763 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Good point about the dealer for warranty coverage should the repair fail. I doubt some would install an aftermarket radio though. Good installers are usually like good body shops- sometimes you have to find them via word of mouth.
Blue, good dealers will install anything for you if you have the $$. The techs love it because they get to work on 'clock time' instead of flat rate!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top