GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was crawling under my car to measure the diameter of the exhaust system (more on that in some other post), and thought - "what the heck, as long as I am down here, lets see if that stuff will clean up."

I grabbed a can of Mothers Mag polish, turtle wax liquid rubbing compound, and Simple Green.

Squirted the simple green on and rubbed in with a soft cloth - maybe half disappeared.
The rubbing compound was wiped on and wiped off with a soft cloth. Did a good job.
I felt Mothers did the best (better shine and probably protection). It also was put on and wiped off with a soft cloth.

Granted, I don't think my brownstuff is a bad as some of the descriptions I have seen. And we really haven't had any winter here in LA to muck things up worse. But it does come off. There is no way that rust will do that!

I think with a little more elbow action, or stiffer pad, of a buffer - the underside would look great.
The point is - the stuff easily comes off and I got the photos to prove it.

The first two are one-half done and before cleaning - for comparison purposes. The left side was cleaned.
The last is the final job.

After about 5 more minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
We should all feel kind of dumb for not having tried this earlier! We've all been going on and on about repainting and such to clean up the look. Thanks, Sandman, for bringing some sanity back to the group! LOL Looks great!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Gee, I thought the guys on CorvetteForum.com were extreme. :banghead: Wonder if GM covers "muffler waxing frequency" in their manual? :confused:
Inspired solution, at least on the part of the exhaust system that shows clearly under the Acadia rounded butt! Time will tell it the treatment neutralized whatever the surface corrosion is. I will try it on mine, although at some opportune time when my wife and neighbors are not in area, they are already beginning to wonder about me and my Acadia! :help:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got rid of mine, too. I used Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Cleaner. It came right off -- no "extra" elbow grease required, I just rubbed it on and it came off.

·
Registered
306 Posts
JacsMommy said:
Got rid of mine, too. I used Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Cleaner. It came right off -- no "extra" elbow grease required, I just rubbed it on and it came off.
I was not familiar with this product so I looked it up and found and interesting comment:

The modern alternative to a rubbing compound. You'll appreciate how it effectively removes the bonded environmental contamination[/color] that regular washing can't dislodge. Count on Deep Crystal ® System Cleaner for the deep cleaning that lets you wipe away blemishes, oxidation and dead paint.[/color]

Now we know what that discoloration is--"bonded environmental contamination[/color]".

I still don't know what it is, but "bonded environmental contamination"[/color] sure sounds cooler than "rust"!!

Thanks jacsmommy, I'll try it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks, 002. My dad is a car nut and he has a million different bottles and tubes of cleaners and polishes on his bench. He brought the Meguar's over to me before I had the Acadia, so I grabbed it off my bench and crossed my fingers. It worked great. I'll let you know how well it works over the long haul -- we're off to Disneyland this weekend, which means we'll be putting some miles on the Acadia, so I'll be able to report back next week.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Be careful using polish and rubbing coompounds on a new vehicle finish - its generally not a good idea as they will wear on your clearcoat and get you those nasty swirls, especially on darker colors. They become almost necessary with age, but stick to simple non-abrasive waxes on new paint.

·
Registered
322 Posts
jrocco001 said:
Be careful using polish and rubbing coompounds on a new vehicle finish - its generally not a good idea as they will wear on your clearcoat and get you those nasty swirls, especially on darker colors. They become almost necessary with age, but stick to simple non-abrasive waxes on new paint.
Not really a huge concern with todays paint systems...Also, they are doing it on the muffler, not the paint...

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
They actually sell clearcoat rubbing compound now.

Have a can but have been afraid to use it on either of my vehicles.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey Guys/Girls,
Look under "OOh that smell" in the General Forum might be source of "RUST" sealant supposedly put on exhaust system, burns off early????? but comes off with elbow grease and rubbing compound :banghead:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sandman, thanks for the info and pictures. Has the discoloration returned? I'm willing to clean the system once, but I'm not sure I want to do this on a regular basis.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nothing has returned (yet). it still looks good

1 - 12 of 12 Posts