GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had the time to tear into my car and look for the battery. Not that I am planning on replacing it soon, but ya kinda like to save a trip to the dealer if you can do it yourself.
You will need a 7/64 stardrive. Slide the front passenger seat all the way foreward. Remove the mat, and this is what you see

The plastic covering to the left can be snapped off, but I was afraid to try. I was able to slide the cover off. I think it will be a minor pain to drop the battery in, but certainly possible. But that plastic cover to the left will definately have to come off. Notice all the cables, fuses, etc.

This is a close up of battery size, Amps,etc.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I heard this was the location on that video walk-through and located the panel, but hadn't taken the time to open it yet. Thanks for the visual!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Is there a terminal in the engine bay in case you need a jump start?

·
Registered
13 Posts
NY_Joe said:
Is there a terminal in the engine bay in case you need a jump start?
Yes, this was the same in my late Touareg.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes, there is a remote positive terminal in the engine compartment located near the fuse box (per the owners manual). I did not see a negative terminal, so if true, you just attach negative to the frame.

·
Registered
56 Posts
730 CCA....That is a pretty big battery... I hate to think that I will have to take my acadia to the dealership in order for them to change the battery!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks for posting this...I have added it to the Tech FAQ thread.

Adam

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
mitchl said:
Yes, there is a remote positive terminal in the engine compartment located near the fuse box (per the owners manual). I did not see a negative terminal, so if true, you just attach negative to the frame.
There is a negative terminal under the hood, as well.

I had a hilarous experience the first time I went to test drive an Acadia. The dealership had an Acadia on the sales floor. I asked to see the dash lights and the hatch operate. The salesman found the battery was dead. He brought over a portable power unit, opened the hood and said, "Where's the battery?" :eek: I had to explain it to him.

Kelly

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good grief. I guess it's a good use of space but who would have thought it would be located there. I probably would have spent half a saturday ripping the front end apart. Thanks for the pics. I'll remember them in about 4 years when I need to do a replacement.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
According to GM, they moved the battery from the engine compartment to reduce heat load. Something about heat being an enemy of battery life.

Kelly

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It also (very slightly) changes the weight balance. Its just hard to believe they couldn't find room in the engine compartment. I'm gonna have to pop the hood and look around in there some more.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
sandman said:
Its just hard to believe they couldn't find room in the engine compartment. I'm gonna have to pop the hood and look around in there some more.
Maybe they were planning ahead to the day they want to squeeze a V8 into that engine compartment. ;)

Kelly

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have read in multiple articles that one or more GM reps have pointed out that there is room for a V8. Speculation seems to be that the Denali will be the first (only?) to have this option. I like the fact that the battery is not in the engine bay. I prefer the look of a clean, uncluttered engine bay, and having it under the seat makes an easier job for adding aftermarket stereo equipment ;D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good point about making it easier to add stero equipment. Only thing that worries me is that I had a big ol amp (and sub woofer) under the rear seat of my aerostar, but now there's no "underseat" to stash things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The cargo area under the rear floor looks like a good place to stash an amp or two... haha, I don't even have one yet and I'm already planning out upgrades ;D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are right! The only trouble is that's where I have my jumper cables. :'(

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
sandman said:
The plastic covering to the left can be snapped off, but I was afraid to try. I was able to slide the cover off. I think it will be a minor pain to drop the battery in, but certainly possible. But that plastic cover to the left will definately have to come off. Notice all the cables, fuses, etc.
I was just looking at these photos again. That looks like an awfully tight fit. I wonder how much work it will take to get the plastic off and the battery out? Is that plastic part of the tracks for the seat?

Kelly

·
Registered
91 Posts
looking at those smart slide rails... has anyone found stuff stuck in to the grease yet? I can imagine dimes, hair or potato chips piece in there ;D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was able to get one part of the plastic cover to snap off, I just didnt feel like forcing it. But the whole thing should snap off. Even then, there is not much finger room to hold on to the battery. I think there might have been something that you could hook a strap to.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts