GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I've heard absolutely nothing, but I would imagine on the very distant horizon (like 4-5+ years), hybrid versions of practically all cars will start being offered. As the technology matures, gets cheaper and shrinks in size, there'd be no reason not to have that engine option in most vehicles.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah, NOTHING at all soon, or even in a few years, but possible sometime in the next decade for a wider span of vehicles. We'll just have to see.

If the Highlander and RX440h are any indication, the systems in this size of vehicle are okay, but the mileage doesn't seem to ever be all as great as it's expected.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I would hate to buy one next year and find out it was a year out. Sure would be nice to get around 25 city and 30 highway...wishful thinking?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think that GM has the right idea with the Chevy Volt. That exact system can be scaled to any size (the Chevy Volt is only a scaled down version of the same drive system as a locomotive). For those that are not familiar, the Volt is charged nightly (via regular 120v plug in) an array of batteries, which will provide 40 miles of travel- but if the charge gets too low, then a small gasoline generator will provide power. Unlike current hybrids, it is a much simpler system, with just the electric motors providing power to the wheels, and then a simple gas generator to provide recharge power.

As the system is used in larger vehicles, you might only get 25-30 miles per nightly charge, but even if you had to go 50 miles in a day, you would only perhaps burn a half gallon a day, getting 40 days on a 20 gallon fillup. On a trip, you would go from a range of 500 miles on a 20 gallon fillup to perhaps 630 on a 20 gallon fillup.

The Volt is expected around 2010, given how simple the system really is, there is no reason it couldn't be in a lot of cars five years after that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts