GMC Acadia Forum banner

HVAC system not working correctly :o(

64K views 52 replies 11 participants last post by  jsimms 
#1 ·
We recently came back from a long weekend on the Eastern half of the state... put 500 miles on the SUV.

We drove back from Moses Lake on Sunday and we could not get sufficient heat to warm us and our two dogs coming over the pass or at any other time. When I backed into our garage to off load after our trip home on Sunday I noticed tons of steam coming from our radiator. It was 54 degrees out and raining. My wife says she smells antifreeze when parking the SUV at times. I saw no leaks and the antifreeze tank fluid level has not moved since we bought the SUV.

I noticed when I went for coffee first thing this morning the center vents blew out 107 degree heat. Majority of the time the temp will NOT hold. It's either too hot or too cold in this vehicle all the time.

And I'm about ready to rip the Cruise Control out and send it to GM... it still hunts between 5th and 6th on the highway --- I find it VERY unsafe! I have contacted my dealer and shared with them my concerns.

I did a search in here and found nothing regarding the HVAC issue. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the fix?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have not encountered this HVAC problem. The cruise problem, does it do this on a flat road or is it on more hilly conditions that it does this?

#3 ·
Get it in the shop if you see steam and smell coolant - that's a bad combo and you most likely have an issue with the cooling system which may be causing the HVAC issues.

#4 ·
dfrank78 said:
The cruise problem, does it do this on a flat road or is it on more hilly conditions that it does this?
It can do it on "slight inclines" on the road and the worst is climbing mountain passes here in Washington State. If you are at 60-70 MPH on the highway and are following what you believe is a safe distance (I'm old school, a car length for every 10 MPH) the engine/transmission will decide to shift "abruptly" from 6th down to 5th at a 1,000 rpm drop... which will cause you to cancel the Cruise Control and take over. Any pervious GMC SUV I have owned was awesome!!!
I'm not so sure about the Acadia and it is entering the "P.O.S." category quickly. I need a vehicle that is a part of me... not fights me or makes me think twice about what I need to react to at that or the next moment. None of our previous GMC's have done this. I am so disappointed. I wish we had never bought this vehicle!

I was in Easter weekend traffic on I-90 in snow and nasty rain and wanted to strangle someone at GM for creating this and placing my families life in danger (my wife and our two dogs)! Not to mention when I was at the top of the pass and was trying to go around a semi that was in the far right lane (4 lanes at the top of the pass) my Acadia (full load, me the wife the two dogs and all our stuff for the weekend) would not accelerate from 50 MPH to get around the semi at any rate... I punched the throttle and --- nada. I could row a boat faster by hand than my SUV would accelerate.

My dealer has responded and told me they will need our SUV for 2-3 days to trouble shoot. I hope they fix it!!!

#5 ·
I've experienced that shift sensation when in cruise and not only with the GMC - we had a Mountaineer (5 speed auto)that did the exact same thing on certain inclines. I think it happens when cruise tries to maintain speed on a downward incline. Probably not a defect if that's what's happeneing.

#6 ·
3rd Timer, I found dropping to L-5 while pulling a longer grade allows the cruise to stay engaged and maintains the selected gear much better. It's kind of like taking it out of overdrive. I think it may to the detriment of all these new 5- and 6-speed automatics, except probably the CVT's. Don't be angry about it - learn how to deal with it until it becomes second nature. Any newer vehicle you might get into is likely to have the same condition.

#7 ·
speleos said:
3rd Timer, I found dropping to L-5 while pulling a longer grade allows the cruise to stay engaged and maintains the selected gear much better. It's kind of like taking it out of overdrive. I think it may to the detriment of all these new 5- and 6-speed automatics, except probably the CVT's. Don't be angry about it - learn how to deal with it until it becomes second nature. Any newer vehicle you might get into is likely to have the same condition.
I agree with this completely, any new 6 speed transmission is going to shift down to maintain power when even on a slight incline while in cruise.

#8 ·
I have had HVAC issues. I have issues with the cruise and no power to pass. My wife drives the Acadia and thank God because, I would hate to drive that thing on a daily basis. On a trip this winter she called to tell me that the Acadia was only blowing cold air. Keep in mind this is in January in Iowa. It was 5 degrees and my wife and 2 year old had to drive for 2 hours with no heat. When she got I home I went out and started the vehicle and it worked fine. Then one day I decided to take it to the car wash. When I was driving home after the wash it was steaming pretty badly from the grill. I noticed it when I would stop at red lights. When I got home I smelled antifreese but, could not find any leaking. I will keep on eye on it just like all the other problems that come along with this pos vehicle.

I agree with you...this car is crap. I was very worried about buying an American car especially a GM! The Acadia had more options and I figured it would be a good fit for my wife. We were looking at an Armada. Every day I wish I would of bought the Nissan. The Acadia has way to many quirks and issues. I would think that GM will stop making these vehicles in a few years. I should of bought the Nissan! Hopefully the Acadia will prove it's value to me. I think that I will be trading this thing in and take a big loss in a year or two.

#9 ·
I have a Nissan Xterra that has the 5 speed auto trns it it works great. It's an 05 and the 1st year Nissan put that trans in the Xterra...guess what, they got it right. Sorry I am just really having buyers remorse on this Acadia. The more I read the forum the worse it gets.

#10 ·
I don't know if this matters, but next time you have a problem with the climate temp coming out of the system, check the exterior temperature displayed in the vehicle. Is it off or correct?
There are reported problems with the temp gauge being mounted in a poor spot and it can be moved. Would this play a factor in what temperature the HVAC tries to push, after sensing the exterior temp incorrectly? or would that only play factor with the "AUTO" HVAC setting?

#11 ·
Some other things to ask -

Do you have the 2nd button from the lower right on the climate control turned on (if the light is on, so is the A/C compressor)?

Do you change the setting on the climate control, or leave it on one temp and run it on auto (spielen sie nicht! that's German for don't play with it, it's like the thermostat in your house. set it and forget it!)?

Did you have your dealer check to see if the evaporator drains are plugged (if they are, you'll get ice buildup, poor A/C, and a whole lot of drainage on the area whre you park the vehicle)?

#12 ·
speleos said:
Some other things to ask -

Do you have the 2nd button from the lower right on the climate control turned on (if the light is on, so is the A/C compressor)?

Do you change the setting on the climate control, or leave it on one temp and run it on auto (spielen sie nicht! that's German for don't play with it, it's like the thermostat in your house. set it and forget it!)?

Did you have your dealer check to see if the evaporator drains are plugged (if they are, you'll get ice buildup, poor A/C, and a whole lot of drainage on the area whre you park the vehicle)?
The ac compressor being on will not cause the problems that are being described, it is actually a good thing to leave your compressor on year round as it keeps it lubricated. When you have the heater turned on it only blows heat as the flap in the duct work closes off the ac and opens to the heater core allowing the heat to enter the vehicle.

I think the real question to ask is if these vehicles have the auto climate control or the manual.

#13 ·
3rd Timer said:
We recently came back from a long weekend on the Eastern half of the state... put 500 miles on the SUV.

We drove back from Moses Lake on Sunday and we could not get sufficient heat to warm us and our two dogs coming over the pass or at any other time. When I backed into our garage to off load after our trip home on Sunday I noticed tons of steam coming from our radiator. It was 54 degrees out and raining. My wife says she smells antifreeze when parking the SUV at times. I saw no leaks and the antifreeze tank fluid level has not moved since we bought the SUV.

I noticed when I went for coffee first thing this morning the center vents blew out 107 degree heat. Majority of the time the temp will NOT hold. It's either too hot or too cold in this vehicle all the time.

And I'm about ready to rip the Cruise Control out and send it to GM... it still hunts between 5th and 6th on the highway --- I find it VERY unsafe! I have contacted my dealer and shared with them my concerns.

I did a search in here and found nothing regarding the HVAC issue. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the fix?

Thanks!
Thermostat getting stuck closed at times and then open at times then operates normally then gets stuck again........intermittent

#14 ·
I am totally unhappy with this SUV. It is our 3rd SUV/GMC and our other two the 2005 Denali and our 2003 Evony were awesome!!! I am sick of all the hype behind this vehicle. GM can stick it where the sun don't shine! This may be my last GM. I am VERY unhappy!!!

#15 ·
Re: HVAC system not working correctly

Sounds like you may be better off with another large SUV like you used to have. One of our members here recently traded a 2008 Acadia for a new $45K Silverado and got a good deal on the trade (11K or so difference). Maybe another brand dealer may make a decent offer as well- we had a multi-line dealer recently playing radio ads for used cars- they didn't have many and were offering to buy outright. When I drove by their lot, I only saw a handful vs a couple dozen last fall.

As for the cooling system, is your temperature gauge staying in the normal range? Ours stays around 210 as I recall. If you're not losing coolant and the gauge is staying in the normal range, I'm at a loss other than as jsimms said possibly a bad thermostat or some other coolant obstruction, but this should affect the gauge if it is getting that hot.

We've never had any HVAC problems so far. I'm sure the dealer can check refrigerant charge and compressor/ducting operations.

#16 ·
dfrank78 said:
The ac compressor being on will not cause the problems that are being described, it is actually a good thing to leave your compressor on year round as it keeps it lubricated. When you have the heater turned on it only blows heat as the flap in the duct work closes off the ac and opens to the heater core allowing the heat to enter the vehicle.

I think the real question to ask is if these vehicles have the auto climate control or the manual.
dfrank, it's an SLT-2 he's talking about. Climate control is stasndard fare.

#17 ·
3rd Timer said:
I am totally unhappy with this SUV. It is our 3rd SUV/GMC and our other two the 2005 Denali and our 2003 Evony were awesome!!! I am sick of all the hype behind this vehicle. GM can stick it where the sun don't shine! This may be my last GM. I am VERY unhappy!!!
3rd Timer, what's with the extreme negative waves, man. Get a grip or take a pill! In fact, you should probably head to CA and get a medicinal dube.

Why don't you just chill and wait for the new gov't vehicles designed by the EPA and OSHA. Then you'll really have something to ***** about!!
:blob:

#18 ·
speleos said:
3rd Timer, what's with the extreme negative waves, man.  Get a grip or take a pill!  In fact, you should probably head to CA and get a medicinal dube.

Why don't you just chill and wait for the new gov't vehicles designed by the EPA and OSHA.  Then you'll really have something to ***** about!!
:blob:

I have driven other friends manufactures SUV's and they "seem" much better than the Acadia.  I have worked in Service in several German car dealerships.  I have stuck with my GM dealer for several years due to the great service and sales they have provided. 

We test drove "all" the new 2008 GMC's they had on the lot.  The Acadia seemed to be the best at the time.  Things continue to crop up and make a supposed great vehicle "less than." 

We had a lease return and had to make a SUV decision in quick manner... and we had several money saving incentives thrown our way. I truly wished we had tested the other manufactures out their other than drive friends rides on trips as we do now.

BTW, I have a right to voice my opinion right or wrong just like anyone else on this forum.  If you don't like what I have to share or say, you don't have to post.

Go smoke a dubie sounds like you do already... so enjoy!

BTW, my dealers service dept said " yes, we have had many complaints regarding the lack luster acceleration and the 5th & 6th shifting issue as well."

#19 ·

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Sounds like you may be better off with another large SUV like you used to have. One of our members here recently traded a 2008 Acadia for a new $45K Silverado and got a good deal on the trade (11K or so difference). Maybe another brand dealer may make a decent offer as well- we had a multi-line dealer recently playing radio ads for used cars- they didn't have many and were offering to buy outright. When I drove by their lot, I only saw a handful vs a couple dozen last fall.

As for the cooling system, is your temperature gauge staying in the normal range? Ours stays around 210 as I recall. If you're not losing coolant and the gauge is staying in the normal range, I'm at a loss other than as jsimms said possibly a bad thermostat or some other coolant obstruction, but this should affect the gauge if it is getting that hot.

We've never had any HVAC problems so far. I'm sure the dealer can check refrigerant charge and compressor/ducting operations.
Coolant temp is always 210 and the antifreeze coolant level has stayed the same since new. Outside air temp gauge that is in the center instrument cluster is always right on with my home outdoor thermometer I have.

I thought first off it might be an air bubble in the coolant system or faulty thermostat.

Once I get the SUV back next week after they have it a for a few days... I'll share their findings.

Buying/trading a different or a move up to a larger vehicle is not the answer to our problems. I don't care what trans and engine combo a manufacture places in said vehicle... they should work perfect in unison. I should not have to shift into some other gear to compensate for something that should work error free in the first place. Besides other SUV's have 6-speed autos and don't have these issues.

BTW, how much more money do I need to spend with GM to get PROFESSIONAL GRADE? Is the Acadia SUBSTANDARD GRADE? I paid almost 40k for what I got... isn't that enough?

#20 ·
I test drove every similar crossover - Mazda, Lincoln MK etc and found the Acadia to be by far the best in the class. Everyone entitled to their opinion of course. At the end of the day, if you don't like it - you dump it and move onto something else. Try a Toyota - they never have any problems at all.

#22 ·

3rd Timer said:
Coolant temp is always 210 and the antifreeze coolant level has stayed the same since new. Outside air temp gauge that is in the center instrument cluster is always right on with my home outdoor thermometer I have.

I thought first off it might be an air bubble in the coolant system or faulty thermostat.

Once I get the SUV back next week after they have it a for a few days... I'll share their findings.

Buying/trading a different or a move up to a larger vehicle is not the answer to our problems. I don't care what trans and engine combo a manufacture places in said vehicle... they should work perfect in unison. I should not have to shift into some other gear to compensate for something that should work error free in the first place. Besides other SUV's have 6-speed autos and don't have these issues.

BTW, how much more money do I need to spend with GM to get PROFESSIONAL GRADE? Is the Acadia SUBSTANDARD GRADE? I paid almost 40k for what I got... isn't that enough?
I ran the numbers for forum membership vs number of Acadias sold here a few days ago and if every real member (including those that never posted anything) had a defective vehicle, it would only amount to a small percentage (I'm thinking it was under 5%) of the ones that have been sold, so what we see here is the "tip of the iceberg". I'm not aware of any way to accurately identify how many of these vehicles (or any other make for that matter) have defects to where the owners no longer wish to own them. The True Delta website is an effort in that direction, but human nature being what it is, the path of least resistance is to do nothing, followed by voicing your concerns to those that will listen, to actually doing something about it. I'm sure there are many (fill in the brand) owners that are upset with mechanical aspects on their vehicles to the point where they no longer want them, but how many have reported them? I'm in this camp to a degree as well, I've put up with a substandard voice recognition system since day 1 and made it as far as complaining about it here. We're getting the black bezels soon so the dealer is going to look at this at the same time.

We know for a fact that a percentage of these vehicles have water leaks into the interior, and a member here is pretty much on a crusade to get something done about it but is not getting much feedback. I can relate since I'm starting a crusade against an unfair tax law that has to affect thousands, but how many are willing to do something about it other than to complain?

It's unfortunate the Acadia will not drive the way you'd like it to drive. I know I'm preaching to the choir based on your automotive experience, but there is no way a 3.6L V6 is going to propel a 4K+ pound vehicle in the same manner as a 5.7L V8 would. I'm spoiled to a degree since almost every other car I own has a more powerful motor and usually less weight than the Acadia, so driving the Acadia (which is not really that often) it seems very sluggish. This is further evidenced by the cruise control not being able to hold the speed closer than a 4 MPH range on our mildly rolling hills here. I see a 1 MPH variation with my 1998 Durango 5.9L V8 and 130K+ miles on the odometer. It of course has a 4 speed OD automatic with one OD gear. I'm not sure how it would work with a more modern transmission. I know the newer Durangos with the 5.7L Hemi used a 5 speed automatic. I've never looked at the ratios on the Acadia transaxle, but I'm figuring 5 & 6 are both OD ratios like their manual counterparts.

Many here have not had any really bad experiences with their vehicle as you have. In a thread started by a 1 post new member, they wanted to know if the Acadia was recommended. The responses from my browsing the thread were very positive for doing so, but there were several that said no for various reasons.

You've had a bad set of experiences with this expensive vehicle, so I was thinking it may be the best option for you to get out of it (punch the canopy, eh?) while it still had a decent trade value. Of course, only you can decide if that is the best thing for you to do.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

#23 ·
I dont have a complaint about the acceleration or gear shifting of my Acadia. Does it accelerate like my Z71 suburban I traded for it? No. Do I expect a V6 to propel a 8 passenger vehicle as well as the V8 did. No. I bought the Acadia to better my fuel mileage because the suburban was burning a hole in my wallet every time i had to fill it up. I have to say though when I put my foot into the Acadia it may take a second for it to go but once it shifts the gear the thing takes off and goes. It just takes some getting used to and if it doesnt drive like you want it to maybe you should just trade it in for something that does drive like you want.

#24 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 with all do respect.

Interesting how you came up with some of these figures. To deaf ears... I also owned a 2003 in-line six 275HP/275TQ Envoy granted that the transmission was a 4-speed and the vehicle was a Gross Weight of 5,550 lbs... it hauled ***, yet was too small once we took on another Doberman. I'm not looking for ROCKET acceleration and understanding that my '05 6.0 liter Denali weighed 7,000 lbs and WAS a ROCKET SHIP and hauled *** and got 20MPG at 60 MPH HWY as a standard. I'm sure there are several out there that are totally pleased with their Acadia purchase... all the best to them and that's okay by all means.

Comparing what I have owned/driven/serviced... IMHO the Acadia truly falls short of all the hype at 6,459 and a VERY sad V6! The most important SAFETY Issue is the 5th-6th gear shifting. Many may think that we will get by with this fault/lack there of.... not me! You and the vehicle must act as one ---- period! To second guess or continually pay attention to such items at freeway speeds while in traffic or not is TOTALLY unacceptable in anyone book --- period again!

We will see what the dealership comes up with. In my job/life I don't have time to go out and find a replacement. I simply want GM to take car of me or simply say... hey, our vehicle has fallen short, here is what we are willing to do. IMHO it STILL falls short of PROFESSIONAL GRADE... and I will stand fast on this until it is resolved.

Giving up a 7,000 lb '05 Denali that hauled everything and got 20MPH vs something has more interior/cargo room and 3MPG more and all the problems... I don't know?

BTW, in Audi, Porsche, and M-Benz we found that the majority of clients lived with certain problems rather than deal with them. Very well could be the same no matter the brand. Yet the Germans make top-notch stuff compared to US and VW is building a car facility in the US and giving us more jobs!!!

If the Germans made something in an SUV that would haul my two Doberman and my wife and all our stuff I'd be gone. VW Van came out too long after we bought the Acadia.

#25 ·
3rd Timer:
I asked this question awhile ago. Sometimes I can get it to heat and then I have to keep upping the temp to keep the heat on. I have also found that I have to hit the snowflake button and turn off the air to get the car to stay hot. If I don't, the blower will blow cold air and the car won't cool. Web Raven talked about the "hot foot" problem, I rarely have that happen and if I do, it stops quickly. I assumed I am an idiot and don't know how to work the HVAC properly since the Volvo's was simplistic and I never had to touch the settings except for defrost. That's another thing, if I use defrost, the heat stops blowing. We only use it when we have to. Granted, it really never gets too cold here so it is not that big of a deal to do a work around.

Air conditioner works great, thank goodness or this car would have been turned in within weeks!

#26 ·
3rd Timer said:
Blue_2009_SLT2 with all do respect.

Interesting how you came up with some of these figures. To deaf ears... I also owned a 2003 in-line six 275HP/275TQ Envoy granted that the transmission was a 4-speed and the vehicle was a Gross Weight of 5,550 lbs... it hauled ***, yet was too small once we took on another Doberman. I'm not looking for ROCKET acceleration and understanding that my '05 6.0 liter Denali weighed 7,000 lbs and WAS a ROCKET SHIP and hauled *** and got 20MPG at 60 MPH HWY as a standard. I'm sure there are several out there that are totally pleased with their Acadia purchase... all the best to them and that's okay by all means.

Comparing what I have owned/driven/serviced... IMHO the Acadia truly falls short of all the hype at 6,459 and a VERY sad V6! The most important SAFETY Issue is the 5th-6th gear shifting. Many may think that we will get by with this fault/lack there of.... not me! You and the vehicle must act as one ---- period! To second guess or continually pay attention to such items at freeway speeds while in traffic or not is TOTALLY unacceptable in anyone book --- period again!

We will see what the dealership comes up with. In my job/life I don't have time to go out and find a replacement. I simply want GM to take car of me or simply say... hey, our vehicle has fallen short, here is what we are willing to do. IMHO it STILL falls short of PROFESSIONAL GRADE... and I will stand fast on this until it is resolved.

Giving up a 7,000 lb '05 Denali that hauled everything and got 20MPH vs something has more interior/cargo room and 3MPG more and all the problems... I don't know?

BTW, in Audi, Porsche, and M-Benz we found that the majority of clients lived with certain problems rather than deal with them. Very well could be the same no matter the brand. Yet the Germans make top-notch stuff compared to US and VW is building a car facility in the US and giving us more jobs!!!

If the Germans made something in an SUV that would haul my two Doberman and my wife and all our stuff I'd be gone. VW Van came out too long after we bought the Acadia.
New rope; used rope................not everyone is satisfied with what they have. It's apparent that you are not satisfied with your Acadia and you aren't the only one.

"In my job/life I don't have time to go out and find a replacement."

If you can't find the time for whatever reason, then I guess you're stuck with a vehicle that doesn't have the performance you want or desire, but don't expect GMC to say they are selling a vehicle "that has fallen short" in terms of gearing etc.

I am a huge Acadia fan and I am saddened that you are unhappy with yours and the others that have issues, but looking at the big picture the amount of people dissatisfied vs the satisfied group is not in your favor. No vehicle is perfect; you just have to find and enjoy one that you like and can live with the issues that particular vehicle has.

I have had my Acadia out in 23 mph crosswinds with the cruise pegged at 75; the trans did shift down on small hills but it wasn't unsafe as you suggest; you may actually have a trans problem that the rest of us don't know about.

Anyway........your mind is made up and that's that..........good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.